• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

scenery's XML's and change the Lat and Lon to their new locations

Country
australia
I am assuming that a lot of our scenery will have to be moved
to be in the right location in FSX. :confused:

Is there program out that would run through all of a scenery's
XML's and change the Lat and Lon to their new locations ?
ie offset them all by a set ammount

If not , it would be something for you to do Arno as you seem
to be enjoying life to much at the moment. :;):

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Let's see if it is needed before panicking. I guess a number of us would be able to create it easily if required (I would for sure).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It is certainly something that is on my wishlist already, but I don't think we need it for FsX. Why do you think the coordinates would have to change? If you position it accurately now, it should still work fine.

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
I actually asked for this to be included in FSX but it did not make it... maybe next time :)

I wanted a tool to offset an entire MDL by a set amount in any direction.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
XML bias command? That is already there in Fs2004 :). Should work for a MDL object, but not for an entire scenery of course.

Country
australia
From experience most landmarks ,buildings etc are incorrectly placed

Why do you think the coordinates would have to change? If you position it accurately now, it should still work fine.

I am working on Magic Kingdom Area at WDW
It was not in the correct place when I started
the project.

From a screenshot a beta tester did for me
it appears to be different again in FSX.

I use to have a go at "GUESS WHERE THIS IS - screenshot game "
and use to do O.K. From experience most landmarks , buildings etc
are incorrectly placed.

Allowing everything is more accurate I am sure that a lot of the
scenery out there will have to be moved to line up with roads etc

The real hassle would be trees, fireworks etc

Last edited:
Country
australia
Who is panicking.

Let's see if it is needed before panicking. I guess a number of us would be able to create it easily if required (I would for sure).

Who is panicking.
Due to the fact that FSX is more accurate , common sense (which seems to be in short supply on some of these forums)
would mean that some scenerys will have to be moved.

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Who is panicking.
Due to the fact that FSX is more accurate , common sense (which seems to be in short supply on some of these forums)
would mean that some scenerys will have to be moved.

Please refrain from talking about peoples lack of common sense when quoting a message written by me thank you.

I am just trying to say it is a REALLY simple task to make suck a program, so there is NO NEED to deal with it before we know for sure it is needed. If that is NOT commen sense, then I do not want to have common sense.

And I have already gone though this when adjusting a scenery from standard FS to georeferenced roads and coastlines. While you might be lucky and can do a single offset for all models it was certainly not the case for our scenery. Luckily we use a model placer tool where we can see the model outline on top of the same map data used to generate the geo-referenced scenery. It was not too bad even though every single model had to be moved individually.

Country
australia
The problem woud not be for each major hotel/convention center

Lars

The problem woud not be for each major hotel/convention center/ground poly as
they are all offset to a common point as I could see something like this happening.
But unfortnatly I now have a lot of trees , fireworks and other effects etc.

Unfortnatly it will be needed. Looking forward to your contribution on this
matter in the download section.

Kindest Regards
Tassie Tiger

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Lars

The problem woud not be for each major hotel/convention center/ground poly as
they are all offset to a common point as I could see something like this happening.
But unfortnatly I now have a lot of trees , fireworks and other effects etc.

Unfortnatly it will be needed. Looking forward to your contribution on this
matter in the download section.

Kindest Regards
Tassie Tiger

I'll see what I can do once it is released, but I am afraid EditVoicepack has higher priority for me.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll see what I can do once it is released, but I am afraid EditVoicepack has higher priority for me.

It's also on my ObPlacer XML wishlist, so as long as you use the XML code that might be an option for you as well. It is very likely that this functionality will appear in one of the future updates, but at the moment I am looking at what kind of updates would be needed for FsX, so nothing is decided yet.

In the past I have had to move a lot of objects myself as well. But not because the default scenery was placed wrong, because I made a calculation in the formules to convert the coordinates to WGS84 :D.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The coordinate system that is used by FS. It is the most common way to give lat/lon values. But if lat/lon values are given in different coordinate systems, that would mean that their positions will be different.

In this case I knew the position in the Dutch RD coordinate system (which is not given in degrees, but in meters). So I had to calculate the WGS84 lat/lon values of these positions and in that calculation I made a little error.

Last edited:
WGS84 stands for World Geodetic System 1984. Its a datum and mathmatical model of the earth, and is used for a variety of industries, notably its the datum for use in GPS systems worldwide.

It also is the model ms used in fs!

If you google wgs84, you'll find a lot of pretty interesting info on the subject.

Best,
Bob

Country
germany
Ok, understood - but I think, I'm not up to date:

According to this thread, something must change with FSX ... is it for sure? How probable will it be? How much will change? I never heard anything about it until now. :confused:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I am not aware of big changes in FsX. Most likely more accurate data will be used to place the default scenery, but as long as you design your scenery as accurate as you can (using the airport charts and all other data you can get), these changes to the default scenery should not affect you much.

On the other hand, if you are working on a city scenery and placing stuff between the default object, then it might have a bigger influence. But I do not expect a big earthquake that will shift our entire world :).

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Keep in mind that this challenge will be a bit more work if there is angular offset as well.

I ran into this problem at Ogden Point a year or so ago, when I discovered with new airphoto data that I was off about 2 degrees in the orientation, and there was an offset of quite a few metres. I put this off a long time thinking that I'd have to have a tool for it. But in the end I did it manually, repositioning each object from scratch. I probably didn't have nearly as many objects as you guys, but I repositioned 300 objects in about three hours.

Jon

Country
australia
Overall change to elevation/altitude

Now we have in FX a better road system, mesh and photoscenery
I would not flatten a huge area but say only under the hotel
and not use ground poly/planes.

I assume then we would also need the tool to have elevation
as well to get everything roughly at the right elevation.
Not sure about this , as I suppose if you remove the flatten
and the scenery if set to altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" it would still
be at the right elevation/altitude :confused:

Still we would be lucky if some overall change to elevation/altitude
was not required

Tas