• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

scenProc big area tips (1)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
When you are trying to process a big area in scenProc getting all vector data loaded can be hard. Either you will have some big shape files that take long to load or you need to do some pre-processing to slice up the data before. But did you know there is an easier way?

scenProc uses the OGR library to read the vector data. This library does not only support many formats, like shape files or GML, but it can also connect to geographical databases. So if you put all your geo data in such a database scenProc can read from it using the ImportOGR step. And only the data for the bounding coordinates that you specified will be read. Instead of a file name you need to specify a database connection string like this:

PG:”dbname=’databasename’ host=’addr’ port=’5432′ user=’x’ password=’y'”

Of course initially you need to setup the database and put your data in it. The connection string above is for a PostgreSQL database with the PostGIS extension installed. There is an easy installer to get all this installed quickly. And with ogr2ogr it’s also not so hard to put your data into the database.

So the next time you start a project where you will use scenProc to process a big areas consider setting up a geo database first to make your life a bit easier.

Continue reading...

Country
luxembourg
Hello,

I am aware that the original post from Arno is a bit dated but my question relates directly to it so I do not want to create a new thread.

I am indeed in the situation described in the original post: I have a big area with rather huge and complicated polygons. To process, I am using batch processing on LOD10 but even though to load some features takes eternity :)

Therefore, I have two options:
1) split the source vector files to match the LOD setting of my batch process - but this proves too complex and time consuming even though on a test area this approach works well
2) set up a database

I want to implement the 2) (also to learn something new).

I have saved my test shapefile to SQLite database (via qgis) but I have no idea about the syntax of the string to put into ImportOGR step to call the features from the SQLite database.

I would appreciate any help on this as though I am not completely new to working with gis data, I am completely new to the databases and related staff.

Thanks!

Milan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Although it doesn't help you much now, I have some updates in development that speed up reading complex polygons with holes. Somewhere in the next months that should make it to the development release.

I never used SQLLite databases myself, I would have to check the ogr manual on them first.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I did a quick scan of the docs and I think for SQLite you can just enter the filename and that should be sufficient.

Country
luxembourg
Thanks for the info Arno.

I have already tried to read the SQLite database directly as you suggest. However, in the morning I found it in the same stage as I left it in the evening :) The shapefile took about 1h30 to load, just FYI.

I probably just let it work a couple of days (weeks :cool:) more et voilà.

Milan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I'll see if I can do a little test here, need to make some SQLite file with some data then.

Country
luxembourg
Arno, do not bother just because of me. I am working on a work-around. It seems that no-one else is either
a) having issues / working with huge files, or
b) using SQLite files.

Regards,

Milan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I'm sure more people struggle with big areas.

I did a little test with converting a shp to SQLite, but it loaded much longer than the shp file. Maybe I did something wrong.

Like I wrote in the blog post I'm using a PostgreSQL database with satisfaction.