• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 scenProc causing 'Unhandled Exception' errors

Country
unitedstates
As of late I am getting several unhandled exception errors when running scenPROC in batches. I currently have been running four scenProc scripts at the same time... four batch files that run four at a time with a total of 25 scripts. Averaging 2-3 'unhandled exception' errors per run. Interesting, it does not seem to crash the process. I think it is still creating the correct number of autogen (need to double-check). At one point I did get a scenProc error where scenProc opens a window asking if I want to submit. I did and when I click send that too created an 'unhandled exception' error. I have not seen the issue when I run one script at a time.

I am using scenProc v3.1.0.0 rde3171d9 DEV 7/15/2022. FYI, the batch file uses the same scenProc template I created for running all the scripts. Attached is an example of of the 'unhandled exception' error.

Attachments

• unhandled exception error.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 12

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Let me check inside that function what is happening. It might be your different instances are trying to access the same file or something at the same moment giving the error.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

From looking at the code I can't see where the error comes from. The function that is mentioned in the stack trace should not have any null objects.

Just to double check, you are using a batch file to run different scripts sequentially when this sometimes happens?

Country
unitedstates
I ran a set of 5 batch files. Each batch file consisted of five scenProc scripts. I ran the five batch files at the same time. I will be conducting another test hopefully next week so I will be able to test this again. If I get more errors I will update.

Country
unitedstates
So I was able to run some more tests today running batch files of scenProc scripts. Unfortunately were are still seeing errors.

Test 1

running five separate batch files that look like below.

bat file 1of5 would include:
scenProc B:\CHICO\Section_162\CHICO_X22\Control_Data\CHICO_X22_scenPROC_stage3.spc /run
scenProc B:\CHICO\Section_162\CHICO_X23\Control_Data\CHICO_X23_scenPROC_stage3.spc /run
scenProc B:\CHICO\Section_162\CHICO_X24\Control_Data\CHICO_X24_scenPROC_stage3.spc /run
scenProc B:\CHICO\Section_162\CHICO_X25\Control_Data\CHICO_X25_scenPROC_stage3.spc /run
scenProc B:\CHICO\Section_162\CHICO_X26\Control_Data\CHICO_X26_scenPROC_stage3.spc /run

So there would be four other batch files like the above, each running a different script (all based on a similar template). Had two unhandled exception errors.

Test 2

Thinking maybe I was overloading/over stressing something I ran only 4 batch files at one time (each had 6 scripts to run in succession).
I got 3 unhandled exception errors this round.

Typically the error window pops up with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Attached are a couple of the error log details from test 1. The computer running the scripts is a new PC build about 1 month old. I just doubled the RAM today from 32 to 64GB to give it some breathing room.

Specs:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, Windows 10, EVGA 1300W PSU

Attachments

• Process Test 1 5x5 - Section_162 Stage3 unhandled exception error 1.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Process Test 1 5x5 - Section_162 Stage3 unhandled exception error 2.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 6

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks for the extra details. It's the same error happing all the time. Let me have another look at the code how there could be a null object in that function, I don't understand that yet.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I tried to reproduce the error here by running some scripts in an endless loop in batch mode, but I have not succeeded in that yet.

Looking at the code I made some changes though that might help solve this issue. That fix will be in the next development release.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the update. Did more testing yesterday and about to do more today. I ran four batch files at once and this time I think I only had one unhandled exception error. So only one this time but I can pretty much count on it happening every time I run one. Does the number of scripts running at the same time have an effect? Thought I might try running just three scripts at one time. Interesting, I noting scenPROC would gobble up my 32GN of RAM fairly quickly, which actually would be a good thing. SO I doubled the RAM to 64GM and saw it at times using up to 90% of that! Sounds like scenProc is designed to take advantage of the amount of available RAM no matter what the size?

Country
unitedstates
FYI - I just ran a batch test today and I did not see a single Unhandled Exception error! Using the latest v3.`.0.0 r42671ae1 DEV 9/4/2022. Will confirm with another test or two tomorrow.