• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ScenProc - Few buildings randomly don't show in the sim

I did a search in the forum but didn't find something similar.
My workflow is:
1) I create the building rectangles in annotator on top of my satellite image
2) I import AGN in scenproc and export an ESRI shapefile
3) I import the shapefile in scenproc to export AGN applying building height and GUID.

Between the steps I confirm the number of buildings in step 1 are imported in scenproc for step 2 and also the export in step 3 again contains the same number of buildings created. At the end of step 3 I open the results from scenproc now into annotator, I see all rectangles in annotator together with the total number matching - so it's not that some buildings get lost between the steps. In the sim though a few buildings don't show up (attached an annotator and sim screenshot of the same buildings after step 3).
What am I missing?

Annotator result after step 3
Annotator.JPG

Then the result in the sim
P3D.JPG

Left to right and bottom to top:
On the first row, building 2 and 5 doesn't show up
Second row building 2 and 3 doesn't show up
Third row, building 3 and 4 doesn't show up.

For all buildings I used the same GUID to exclude GUID issues, so it's not that either.

Thanks for the help

Country
moldova
Hi.
Do you have Agn buildings slider all the way to the right in the sim? Otherwise you wont see all agn i assume.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Which sim are you using? I recently found out that P3D (at least v4 and above) have a bug which results in not all buildings showing (around 20% is missing, even at max density), while FSX does show them all.

Hi,
Yes sliders are all the way up in sim (P3Dv4 that is). It looks like the issue is what you describe - simply some are missing without obvious reason.
Do you think there is a workaround for this?

Thanks

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I haven't found a work around for it. Let me post my findings on the forum tonight. Thought I did that before, but can't find it anymore.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have just posted the information about the missing autogen buildings:

Hi Arno,
Thanks for taking the time to repost it. I will experiment a bit as well and see if I manage to get to a workaround indirectly, as if it's a P3D bug it might not be possible to get to a direct solution. If I find anything I will let you know.

Thanks once more
Regards,

I think I found something interesting! It fixes the issue with not every autogen being shown but it brings back an older issue.

More specifically, I spent some time searching for workarounds/fixes for the autogen not showing and came across a forum solution, saying that if you change in Prepar3d.cfg the entry POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1 to POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=0 it fixes the issue. (Basically with pop free autogen off, the FSX autogen handling is enabled)
Testing it out indeed all buildings show up BUT I get back the old FSX popup of autogen as you get closer to it. Personally I think POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=0 is a no go as it creates more problems than solving but I pass it through you since you are the expert on this, might give you a clue for a workaround.

If I find more info I will keep you updated.

Regards,

I think the answers are here: http://www.prepar3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10385
To introduce pop free autogen, they reduced the LOD. By default AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=2, changing this to =1 which is the maximum value gives me 98-99% of the buildings.

Do you think Arno there is a way to keep LOD to default of 2 in cfg and through scenproc with a step/flag or something, allow the exported buildings not to be affected by this?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

In the AGN file there is nothing about LOD stored. In the AGN file is just stores all the rectangles, as you see them in Annotator as well. So I doubt we can do anything about these CFG settings that tune how the scenery engine behaves.

To be honest I'm only an expert on the AGN format, I don't know a lot about POP_FREE_AUTOGEN and things like that. I'll try to do some reading about this.

Hi,
I will try the AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=1 then for the moment. Let us know if you get to another solution in the future ;)

Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'm going to try AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=1 myself as well and see what the impact of that on performance will be.