• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE ScenProc: I'm just getting started here.

Country
mexico
When exported and done correctly, ScenProc is supposed to be able to fill otherwise-flat areas with trees, buildings, roads, and crisp autogen. Unfortunately, I've been having some trouble getting it to work properly. I dug through a few Wiki pages, YouTube tutorials, and some other threads, and while they have been giving me some tips, I still can't get this file to export into FSX.

I am trying to get the area of Cancún, México. In default FSX, the entire place is literally just flat farmland, with very few buildings. FSEarthTiles does make it (partially) look like a populated area, but of course, it's only a 2D Tile. Spamming Library-object hotels around the big tourist zones of the city using Whisplacer makes it look okay, but is also very impacting on FPS. I have tried to download OpenStreetMap data in multiple formats so I can fill the city with autogen buildings, however nothing has worked so far.

(I am using BBBike to get these files. They have a large number of downloadable formats- which one, specifically, should I use?)

1562091054418.png
When I tried to download it as a .osm file, ScenProc wasn't even able to read it. I imagine I may have selected the wrong format, although I don't know which specific one I should select.

1562093156347.png
I redownloaded in the Shapefile (Esri) format, which downloaded everything separately, in .cpg, .dbf, .prg, .shx and .shp files. I attempted to follow the procedure with specific .shp files, (For now, I'll only need the buildings) and according to the log, I would assume the export went fine, except when I went to my FSX Addon Scenery folder, there was nothing new in it.

Is there a place I'm going wrong, a step I forgot to take, or anything specific I need to fix here?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Did you try to read the manual that comes with scenProc? It has examples of how to work with OSM data as well.

Looking at the log the script does read features from your file. But you are not telling it that you want to make autogen buildings from certain features, so that's why nothing gets exported. You'll have to use the CreateAgnGenBuild step for that.

Country
mexico
Hi,

Did you try to read the manual that comes with scenProc? It has examples of how to work with OSM data as well.

Looking at the log the script does read features from your file. But you are not telling it that you want to make autogen buildings from certain features, so that's why nothing gets exported. You'll have to use the CreateAgnGenBuild step for that.

Yes, I skimmed through the manual a little bit. But, as far as the command to BUILD autogen, what would that look like, and where would it go? I think I may have seen that command on another thread with a similar problem, and if I read correctly, I would need to have a Roof GUID. What would that look like?

(Satellite images of Cancún show that most of its rooftops are gray/red. Would that change/determine the GUID, or is it completely irrelevant?)
1562095327138.png

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Have a look at section 5.1 of the manual, it shows how to make autogen from OSM files with basic buildings and vegetation.

The roof GUID has to be defined in the FS roof descriptions file of the autogen configuration. In scenProc there is code completion, so you can start to type the name of the roof (roof flat, gabled, etc) and then you will see which entries are in this file. Or just take the ones from the example in the manual initially.

Country
mexico
Have a look at section 5.1 of the manual, it shows how to make autogen from OSM files with basic buildings and vegetation.

The roof GUID has to be defined in the FS roof descriptions file of the autogen configuration. In scenProc there is code completion, so you can start to type the name of the roof (roof flat, gabled, etc) and then you will see which entries are in this file. Or just take the ones from the example in the manual initially.

Pardon the late reply. After reading 5.1 and modifying my configuration file in ScenProc, I was able to get it to work- partially.

sparse autogen cancun.JPG
While some autogen buildings did appear, most of the city remained entirely flat. (You can see the terrain/tile compared with the autogen that actually showed up)

Now, I know that this isn't a problem with scenery density, as I have all my scenery sliders set to unnecessarily high values.
unnecessarily high levels.JPG

The OSM data online for Cancún doesn't actually show many buildings either, but I am already seeing more here than I ever did in FSX.

3d osm.JPG

Either that, or I may have partially messed up the configuration file I used to export it. Does this look correct?
scenproc config.JPG

Nevertheless, I think something may be missing here. The .OSM file I downloaded for Cancún was 11.6 MB in size, and the .agn files it exported had a combined size of less than 40 KB. Is there anything else I can do, or is this probably the best I can get?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Looking at the map you posted it might be that there are not many buildings in that area in osm.