• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SDK 0.12.0.0 & update 1.15.7.0

I haven't tried it, but pending a fix from MS I would think that moving your library to a separate project would help, as it wouldn't then be disabled when you load the scenery editor.

Country
germany
Imo that would be even a bigger workaround ^^

It works if you never reload after a rebuild, without restarting.

The "solution" is my original post, where you had posted too, earlier. @toprob

I've just tried separating out the library to a new project, and it works -- I now see the list of objects while I edit the scenery. The scenery continues to disappear when I close the scenery editor, but by then I've finished whatever I needed to do:)
I left everything in the same locations, just added another project xml file for the library, and the project folder and xml in PackageDefinitions, edited them so that the new temp one only has the library, and I remove the library from the original file.
I removed _PackageInt folder between building each one, so it doesn't get itself confused.
The plan is to leave everything in the same location so that I can put the library back when MS fix this.
By the way, adding a separate project to the same xml file doesn't work, it builds and displays ok, but you still don't see your model names.
EDIT: needless to say, this does assume moving the built projects to Community folder.

Country
germany
Hey guys, It all never happened to me, so should I be concerned about it? I have 3 volumes / drives. One is windows with system and software (hdd 1), one for data as well as software (hdd 2) and one for the msfs system and community data (ssd 1). The SDK was on ssd 1 together with msfs until this update 0.12.0 because this update didn't allow me to change the target path for the installation. I do all my development work on the hdd2 and use manual copy cmd files to control the content of my community folder. I never access the packages through the msfs editor (build) or ADE or anything. And there is no chang in the behaviour or structure of the communiy folder required. So what are you talking about? Did I mix up something or misunderstood anything? Thx Guido

Country
germany
I'm using the secenry editor a lot but with my 20 mods that I rebuild using the offline tool I had no issue and with a helipad I built yesterday in the scenery editor with a ArtProj and BGL and scenery elements I had no issues at all. But anyway I was just asking, no reason to follow up...thx

Country
germany
EDIT: needless to say, this does assume moving the built projects to Community folder.

In that case you dont need to attach the lib to a new project. Placing it into the comm folder already is fixing it. Maybe i misunderstand you though. And tbh i dont know how it is with multiple projects.

But for me and the others the trick is simply to place the thing into community folder, then it will show up. After every build. So its not possible to reload insim. As soon as one builds the project one has to place the package again into the community folder.

Tedious ^^

Btw, i just found another think that maybe you could help me out with? Or someone else of course. I looked again at my project folder and there is one folder where im not sure of if it was there before. It has yesterday morning as creation date and if i look in my older backups i dont see this folder.

The folder i mean is in the root of the project folder and in my case looks like seen here:

1618461279675.png

That senchay-edmi-illertissen. I dont see a comparable folder in any of the other projects i did (i mean tutorials and testing stuff etc). Also the date is new so it has to be a new folder. Im sure i didnt accidentaly copied this over from somewhere. The contents are only 1 folder, "scenery". In there is one called "Senchay" and in that one is "TEXTURE".

Is that normal and i remember wrong things or whats going on with this one?

Just wondering if this may have something to do with the problem.

EDIT: hmm... that folder only contains textures of new objects. Where in all names does it come from ^^ There is a ghost in my pc i thik.

Ok, after trying to sort out why the solution in the link above didn't work for me (it is basically the same method as mine, except I don't build in-sim), I've finally figured out why. My normal process is to only add/edit within the sim, and I then build externally. Same as adding objects. But my normal process has always been to exit the sim after saving the scenery, build using FSpackagetool, then MOVE the built project into the community folder. So my issue was a bit different than most, and if I COPY it rather than move it then it all works as it always has.
Sorry about the added confusion.
Not sure about the folder above, I've never seen that in any of my projects, sorry.

Country
germany
So all in all nothing changed for you ^^ Im really surprised how many seem to do it this way before already. Probably you guys are used to it from other sims? Or where are the benefits ?

For me a big part of the workflow is changing with this method. It was so easy before. Place the new gltf in the modellib folder, rebuild and reload the project.

Now i need to wait 3 minutes until the sim is started every time. Seems rather annoying. Maybe ill get used to... But tbh, i hope there is a fix for it.

Country
germany
Uhm. I just saw the sim restart isnt needed?? I just successfully built the project outside sim, reloaded the xml in editor, without restarting, and all the new objects are there, as well nothing is named unkown.

Im starting to get confused now ^^ Basically all is same as before now somehow... no simrestart needed.

Country
germany
That's what I hoped would happen. Great, no need to restart, that's what I thought was just an illusion when I made the last changes and they where immediately displayed when I build my project and left the scenery editor and the developer camera mode. Thx for the confirmation.

Last edited:
Country
canada
I just successfully built the project outside sim, reloaded the xml in editor, without restarting, and all the new objects are there, as well nothing is named unknown.
is that how you do it? how this guy explains here?
thanks

Country
germany
I have to look into it later again.

Not sure if I was just lucky for once or if there is a way to repeat it.

I'll look at the video later and come back then :)

Last edited:
Country
germany
is that how you do it? how this guy explains here?
thanks

Yes that looks like a good way indeed. And is basically what we had to do manually so far to make it work.

Have to still try the restart thing but in any way, that solution seems pretty good. As far i can tell.... What doesn't mean much, I'm afraid :)

Btw, im getting the feeling that the reason that only us noobs have this problem, is that the experienced devs already did this since long time before this way. That video is from last year...

Last edited:
Country
canada
Yes that looks like a good way indeed. And is basically what we had to do manually so far to make it work.

Have to still try the restart thing but in any way, that solution seems pretty good. As far i can tell.... What doesn't mean much, I'm afraid :)

Btw, im getting the feeling that the reason that only us noobs have this problem, is that the experienced devs already did this since long time before this way. That video is from last year...
Yes it's old video but I had no issues with adding objects untill most recent update , I also noticed but have not tried it enough time (only once) but I will say it anyways.

So when I load the project in flight simulator editor then I do the build option after i Open the project again all the custom buildings Show unknown what I did was close the project then move the projects directory somewhere else doesn't matter where just move it to a different directory let's say it was in c /ABC and I moved it to c/ABCD and then I open the project again in flight simulator and then it showed okay so I don't know you can give it a try maybe, I do not have to restart the flight Simulator

Country
canada
OK so for those of us new to the MSFS 2020 scenery design this is how i make it work and now my objects never become UNKNOWN, hopefully Asobo fixes it.

NO need to restart MSFS, just use BUILD ALL outside of MSFS Editor

And this video explains how to set up the BAT file to make it work

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Of course this will not work for Steam users. A popup from Steam will tell you the sim is already running. There may be a work-around by using a powershell script. My example:

Code:
D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport\AirportProject.xml" "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirport" Force Console

1) Location of the simulator exe
2) The command ( -I ";" BuildAssetPackages)
3) Location of the project XML
4) Location of where to build the new package
5) The command to Force Console

This overwrites the package. You would need to close the Project in DevMode, run the PS1 script (Double-clicking should work), load the Project in DevMode, all while letting MSFS stay running.

Haven't tested it yet but it essentially does the same as for the Microsoft Store version process as described above. (This might even work for the MS version.) If you open the Windows Task Manager, you'll see there are 2 instances of FlightSimulator running during the script execution.

Country
germany
Can confirm that way works. Doing it the last 1.5 days now like that without seeing unknowns. (I mean the version for non stream).

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I've been brooding over this all day. Here's what I'm doing for scenery:

The problem is we want to tweak models and sim objects, add and subtract them, and this doesn't work well with the new sim version. The key is the Virtual file system. It only wants us to use models in either the Official or Community folders. What we can do, is compile our models and sim objects into a separate package, compile that, and add it to our Community folder before we start the sim. When the finale package is ready for publication, we can then recombine them into a single package.

Untitled01.png

Once that mountpoint is established for this sim session, it remains, even if we change it's contents. And we can change it by using the fspackagetool in a batchfile, and then copy the rewritten package (of the same name) into the Community folder.

Steam version needs a special way of making the package batchfile:

Code:
D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator -I ";" BuildAssetPackages "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirportObjects\ObjectsSubProject.xml" "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirportObjects" "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirportObjects"
xcopy "D:\MSFS_Projects\LakeLawnAirportObjects\Packages" "D:\MSFS\Community" /E

This rebuilds the object package I made, and then copies the package to the Community folder, overwriting the package I loaded before I started the sim. You can run it while your Airport Project (now minus the models and sim objects) is active. Exit the Scenery Editor window, run the batch file with the model updates to recompile and copy to Community, and then reload the Scenery editor. No more unknowns, and you can now add place newly created objects as well. You can delete objects or change them. No need to leave the project, just close the Scenery Editor, and reopen after the change is copied to the Community library package.

Last edited: