• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS SDK/Sim Update - no objects visible anymore....

Country
unitedkingdom
I just started the PC, loaded back into the project and everything is there... somehow now my package is also not shows as "suspended" anymore. Itsjust shows "mounted" now, as it probably should.

unknown.png

I guess because i somehow did exactly those steps....

But thats an annoying workflow... Before i changed an object and it appeared 1 sec later in the sim. Now for every change one does, this whole step has to redone over and over?
For textures and new objects to load then yes it has to be redone over and over. You can however amend the model for size & shape etc and it will change in the sim. I am now able to carry on with my project thankfully.

Country
germany
so one can only build once basically. Without a restart... well then. But do we all agree that this is some new bug or how is the situation? I mean, i never had to do this until yesterday.

I have worked on my scenery for over 200 hours without ever having to place it into the community folder to be able to work on the project without sim restart

Country
unitedkingdom
Its clearly a very regretable situation, lets just hope they get a handle on it and push a fix as quickly as possible, in the mean time work on everything that doesn't need the in game editor

Country
germany
OK, so after experimenting further I think I've found a workaround.
It is long winded compared to the previous workflow, however it's better than scenery creation coming to a grinding halt.

1./ First of all copy your latest compiled package into your Community folder
2./ Create, or amend your custom objects and compile in the normal way in Blender, 3D max, etc
3./ Run the sim and once in the Main Menu open your project and 'Build Package' (no need to go to your airport in the sim at this stage to save time) DO NOT click Load In Editor at this stage.
4./ Once the package has been built, exit the sim.
5./ Go to your project folder, copy and replace the previous compiled version into your Community Folder.
6./ Run the sim and go to your airport/scenery area, then open your project, myscene and click 'Load In Editor', DO NOT click Build Package.
7./ Your new, or amended asset should now show in the Objects of the scenery editor

I hope this helps and works for you. Hopefully there will be a proper fix soon!
It is totally logical, that if i put something in the community folder, that all that stuff will appear in the simulator, because that's what it's for, to put the finished build package in the community folder to be used. This is definitely not a creative, logical and productive workflow at all, to constantly create a finished package after each little change in the project editor, push build, copy the finished package to the community folder and restart the sim - because otherwise new and changed stuff won't be recognized by the sim, unless freshly started ! This takes the fun of creating an addon for me ... i'm not willing to go on creating something, if it can only be done like this anymore ... i'm not paid for what i do ... so why wasting 10 times the amount of my free time, trying to create something now with this crazy changed. process.

When i was working on projects the whole time, i never cared about the finished package of my project, until it was all complete, working and done. After all the changes, small or large, i've erased the packages and package_int folders, to just close and open the project again, while the sim was running all the time - no need to restart the sim at all. I don't even want to think about it, if this would have had to be done the whole time before - all those small changes i've made on my Blender models for instance, i was able to check them instantly just by closing and reloading the project or even just copying the changed exported files over the old ones and watch in realtime my models change and show the effect. And i can clearly say that i would have never started to create addons, because this would have been way to painful and time consuming, to go on or even starting a mod and waste my free time.
It might be not a problem, to use this for adding a few lights here and there - but to create new objects in a software like Blender, you need to be able to view the changes rightaway and fast in the sim, because whatever you see in Blender, whatever a gltf-viewer will show, is not exactly that, what will happen with this object inside the MSFS, which has extra special rules, to display those objects.

And i believe that because of the ease of use of the editing process like it was before World Update 4 , all those mods, addons, got created. But if the editing process would have been this crazy working like that right from the release of the sim, i bet, there would have been just a smalll fraction of modders willing to go through this painful creation process and just a very small fraction of addons would be available now.

Last edited:
Country
germany
i agree, its stupid. But small Blender changes still should work. I didnt try it yet but it should work. The problem is rebuilding and reloading with editor. That is the step where it breaks.

But small changes should sill be doable, as long the texturenames and objects names/id etc will stay the same (ie changes that doesnt need a reload)

Country
germany
OK, so after experimenting further I think I've found a workaround.
It is long winded compared to the previous workflow, however it's better than scenery creation coming to a grinding halt.

1./ First of all copy your latest compiled package into your Community folder
2./ Create, or amend your custom objects and compile in the normal way in Blender, 3D max, etc
3./ Run the sim and once in the Main Menu open your project and 'Build Package' (no need to go to your airport in the sim at this stage to save time) DO NOT click Load In Editor at this stage.
4./ Once the package has been built, exit the sim.
5./ Go to your project folder, copy and replace the previous compiled version into your Community Folder.
6./ Run the sim and go to your airport/scenery area, then open your project, myscene and click 'Load In Editor', DO NOT click Build Package.
7./ Your new, or amended asset should now show in the Objects of the scenery editor

I hope this helps and works for you. Hopefully there will be a proper fix soon!
Hi,

just one hint: You do not need to start the sim to build your package. You can use the fspackagetool outside the sim.
I created a small batch file for this (attached). I always have it in the same folder with the project-main xml. And then you just need to drag and drop the XML on the batch file:

1618464350382.png

Code:
"C:\MSFS SDK\Tools\bin\fspackagetool.exe" %1 -rebuild

If you do not have the SDK installed at the "standard" place you need to edit the file. I added the -rebuild option to it - just as it works fine and my projects are not such big that it would consume too much time. If you want it faster, you can remove it.

Attachments

• StartCreation.zip
    221 bytes · Views: 71
Country
germany
Thank you, i already it like that now ^^ Mentioned it in another post. Seems all fine now. But thanks for the hint, very appreciated!

Btw, what does the bat do different? Because also without it if one drags the xml on the fspackagetool link, it will build. Thats the way i did it now the last hour, is there something different? I looked at it but it only contains the rebuild process

Country
france
The problem is that all of this is very badly expained by asobo !
Can some one for whom it work explain the exact process he use?

-The place where you have placed the project folder
-Do you use an output folder out of the project folder (in the case of the project folder is in the community folder)?

-Do you have the ability to change your blender or 3DS model live in the scenery creator?
-When you leave the dev mode do you recover msfs with your scenery modified?

thanks
Bernard

Country
germany
Btw, what does the bat do different? Because also without it if one drags the xml on the fspackagetool link, it will build. Thats the way i did it now the last hour, is there something different? I looked at it but it only contains the rebuild process
Yes the only difference is the -rebuild option.

Country
germany
To build the package outside the sim, what should that change ?? Before i was able to change something on my objects and animations, copy it into the project folder , rebuild while editor and sim was running and i could view the result the next seconds - so like realtime creation and view process - if i build it outside the sim - i still don't see, if the changes work ? I have to start the sim, so that the community folder will be read, if i put the changed package in there ... While i was creating my stuff the whole time before, i didn't even care about the calculated packages - i've erased them in the project folder, before each new build process being in the sim and editor ... the result of the newly created package was read by the sim and shown in the scenery right away, while running the sim, the scene and the editor ... the now needed use of the community folder, to be able to view my changes is like 100 steps back from what it was before update 4.

Last edited:
Country
germany
Who knows why none else here of the experienced devs see a problem. I think the same as you. Seems some already did it like this before so maybe the don't even see a difference.

I don't understand the calamity too. In this situation I don't see anything getting fixed.

But that being said, you can still do real-time changes same as before. Nothing changed.
Not sure about animations and if they have to be built first (i never did them so far) but changes in your model appear exactly the same as before, in real-time.

I worked the whole night like that, exporting blender models and see them immediately. Same as before.

Country
germany
Who knows why none else here of the experienced devs see a problem. I think the same as you. Seems some already did it like this before so maybe the don't even see a difference.

I don't understand the calamity too. In this situation I don't see anything getting fixed.

But that being said, you can still do real-time changes same as before. Nothing changed.
Not sure about animations and if they have to be built first (i never did them so far) but changes in your model appear exactly the same as before, in real-time.

I worked the whole night like that, exporting blender models and see them immediately. Same as before.
I have to try again, to see this myself, that the changes appear rightaway, i'm not sure, how this should work, when the sim is just showing me content from the before build and not changeable package placed in the community folder and i do a lot of changes with textures and such - so there is always for sure a package build, copy and sim reload necessary, to get the package working, that it will be listed in the virtual file system as mounted. I couldn't try anything the whole time anyway, because when i've started the MSFS a while ago on Steam and MSFS wanted to do a installation - 172 GB - so the whole sim + the 4 world updates i assume. No idea , why, because it was working last night. The installation just finished and i can try again some stuff. For animations i have to add manually extra stuff into the exported xlm file, to make them work, so this for sure won't be working without doing a rebuild and package movement and restart of the sim - and animations need tweaking and adjustments many times, depending on what i'm trying to do - so redoing this whole process over and over again - i'm not sure, if i'm willing to go on now ...

Last edited:
Country
us-washington
It appears that someone at Asobo decided that people were having trouble with the in-game dev-mode project editor, and decided to add a couple of new dialog boxes to the process to "help" users deal with the "difficult" process that worked JUST FINE prior to the latest update. They seem to have broken the golden rule that goes something like "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". Only in this case they've changed the wording to: "If it isn't broken, by all means--break it!" LOL

Country
france
i succed to work on my projects putting them in the community folder but the behavior is very strange!
And then when i exit dev mode i found the scenery without object, and i have to restart the sim....
Really i don't understand all!!!!

Country
unitedstates
I hate to jump in here because I am not experienced with any of this, but last night I was playing around with my test KBWI scenery that has 4 objects in it. It was working fine with SDK 11, but now I'm seeing the unknown objects just as the rest of you. I didn't capture a screenshot but I did see several times an error message in the console window telling me that my objects had an invalid content type of 'Mission'. Has anyone else seen console errors telling them that their unknown objects are 'Mission' objects?

I'm assuming that the content types are defined constants. Does anyone know where I can view them? I'm wondering if this mismatch is causing the objects not to be displayed? I'm trying to recreate it, but all attempts to build my project now cause CTDs, so I'm reinstalling the SDK. If I can recreate and capture the errors later on, I'll update this post.

I managed to get all of my objects to appear one time after I deleted ModelLib from my project and created a new library called "kbwiLib". Right after I did this I was able to load the scenery, load the assets, and add 4 of my blender objects to the scene. Everything worked great until I exited. All subsequent attempts see unknown objects. I'm going to reverse the process if I still have the CTDs after reinstalling the SDK. Maybe the missing 'ModelLib' is causing the crashes?