• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS SDK/Sim Update - no objects visible anymore....

Country
germany
Hello.

Updated the Sim and SDK. Maybe i oversee something, this is the first update i did. I had a project going on, pretty far already, with around 5 buildings, a tower and clutter (its in showroom).

Now i tried to open and rebuild it but all my models seem to be gone. They are visible but named as "unkown" and if i search for them in Scenery-objects, they are not in there. Yes, ive reloaded the project after build. Various times.

Since this is first SDK update (maybe second, at least i cant remember problems), are there steps to be done after an update? Cant find anything about that. I mean, im aware of issues like CTD after updated but this one i didnt encounter yet....

Btw, it compiles without errors.

Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks!

Placed custom objects are "unkown"

unknown.png

Nothing there if i filter.

unknown.png

Everything is still in place, like yesterday...

unknown.png

No errors.

unknown.png

Country
germany
What i forgot. Ive tried to put the last objects i added out of the folder and rebuilt. All that doesnt change it.... I dont get any errors in log, actually it shows me normal looking conversion messages of the textures etc. Its the 100% same files that worked without problem yesterday.

Log is attached

Attachments

• message.txt
    21.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Sorry, still trying to sort this out myself -- the strange thing is that if I open my current project, I don't see any library objects for that project, but I do see objects for my other projects. However if I (re)start the sim and load another project, I don't see that project's objects, but I do see my current project's objects in the list! So there's nothing wrong with the individual libraries... doesn't really make any sense.
EDIT: just to clarify, I'm talking about the scenery list, the actual models show up fine. But not always...

Country
germany
Thank you to confirm it!

Interesting. I only have one package, probably its the same for me. I named my modelLib, so anyway that part should be right. Really curious what is the issue for us ^^

its very weird.... if you put the package into communityfolder it will work for 1 time... Then all the unkowns are back to names. But only onece, next build stuff is broken again.

I found one thing where im not sure what it means.... There is that new (?) package manager and here the scenery shows as "unmounted" and "shadowed" or "suspended". Cant find what that means in the SDK...

1618382096003.png

EDIT: Ive tried to re-export the models but it wont work, all is empty.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I have read if you move your entire project folder to Community, and work from there, the library objects will show. Also, I think if you compile the project, place that new package in the Community folder, you then can access the library objects by name.

Country
france
same problem for me....:(
i ve succeded in having them in the list of scenery objects but after i load an other project they have diapeared!

Country
france
It's very fun:(, when i'm in a project, i can see the objects of my other scenery's project in the scenery objects list, but if i load one of these projects then i can't see the objects i previously saw on the other project.

Country
unitedstates
I have read if you move your entire project folder to Community, and work from there, the library objects will show. Also, I think if you compile the project, place that new package in the Community folder, you then can access the library objects by name.
Moving the project to the community folder did not work. The objects are visible while in sim mode, but when you open the project in dev mode the objects disappear, are unknown, and do not show up in the list. Building, rebuilding, re-opening, etc, etc, nothing will work for me. So till this is fixed project development is stopped!

Country
england
The whole thing is a farce to be honest. The only way I use the Sim is with a 3rd part Flybywire plane add on. I managed to fly for a while and build an airport but then with each new update another thing is broken. Soon, there be so many work arounds we may as well revert back to X Plane or wherever we came from.

Country
germany
This is an absolute joke.... Indeed.

I was high on flames developing for MSFS but such things like this may turn me off completely....

Country
germany
I don't face any new issues with this update. My objects all appear fine. I always have my project I'm working on in the Community folder.
But as in the Update notes mentionned I cut everything from community folder before starting the update. After all updates were done, I re-pasted the content of my "old" Community folder back again. Everything is fine.

Country
germany
I always do that too.

Well, then you seem very lucky :) because every forum and discord is full of people who all have the same issue.

Country
germany
The problem is that after a new build all objects are again unknown. :)

So doing this:

- place package into community folder
- start sim
- open project and load into bgl

You get this:

- all objects have right names again
- all custom objects show in library

But after you build the project and load back into it, without restarting the sim, has again every object named unknown and the library is empty.

Country
germany

So doing this:

- start sim

You get this:

But after you build the project and load back into it, without restarting the sim, has again every object named unknown and the library is empty.
Okay - I have not tried building the project inside the Sim. I always do it outside with fspackagetool. So I could just not see this issue in my workflow.

Country
unitedkingdom

So doing this:

- start sim

You get this:

Exactly the same issue for me. It's very frustrating!

Country
germany
Seems it's nothing new.... Just saw this from last year...

May not look like same but if you scroll down you can see it's the same Problem....

I'll try out some of those things mentioned near the end.

Hopefully we can find a way...

@Jeppeson2001

Country
unitedkingdom
OK, so after experimenting further I think I've found a workaround.
It is long winded compared to the previous workflow, however it's better than scenery creation coming to a grinding halt.

1./ First of all copy your latest compiled package into your Community folder
2./ Create, or amend your custom objects and compile in the normal way in Blender, 3D max, etc
3./ Run the sim and once in the Main Menu open your project and 'Build Package' (no need to go to your airport in the sim at this stage to save time) DO NOT click Load In Editor at this stage.
4./ Once the package has been built, exit the sim.
5./ Go to your project folder, copy and replace the previous compiled version into your Community Folder.
6./ Run the sim and go to your airport/scenery area, then open your project, myscene and click 'Load In Editor', DO NOT click Build Package.
7./ Your new, or amended asset should now show in the Objects of the scenery editor

I hope this helps and works for you. Hopefully there will be a proper fix soon!

Country
germany
I just started the PC, loaded back into the project and everything is there... somehow now my package is also not shows as "suspended" anymore. Itsjust shows "mounted" now, as it probably should.

1618435009512.png

I guess because i somehow did exactly those steps "accidentally", before reading this.

But thats an annoying workflow... Before i could simply load back into the project via projectmanager. Now for every change one does, this whole step has to redone over and over?

Last edited: