• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX SDK Update for X?

Country
argentina
Trying to modify some of my airport surfaces so I can make them transparent to better align to a sat image.
According to a post by Scruffyduck, I should be able to open a runway or tarmac and make it transparent.
After installing the x sdk, I opened my airport in ADE again to try modifying the properties for transparency. The check box for transparency does not show.
Is there a newer update to the x sdk file

Thanks as always....
Flyboy

Link to tutorial for transparency
http://scruffyduck.screenstepslive....o-i-make-a-fsx-runway-surfacetransparent-1-65

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
As I recall you need SDK SP2 or later

Country
unitedstates
Are you trying to make the runway transparent in the sim or in ADE?

If it is in ADE you go to Settings > Colors and choose the material, then move the transparency slider.

If it is in FSX, you need the Accel SDK and you need to have FSX upgraded to Accel for it to work.

cheers,
Lane

Trying to modify some of my airport surfaces so I can make them transparent to better align to a sat image.
According to a post by Scruffyduck, I should be able to open a runway or tarmac and make it transparent.

According to the tutorial for transparency that Jon wrote you can make the runway (NOT tarmac) when FSX is loaded invisible if

1. You have installed FSX Acceleration Expansion Pack
2. You have installed FSX Acceleration Expansion Pack SDK

After installing the x sdk, I opened my airport in ADE again to try modifying the properties for transparency. The check box for transparency does not show.

Just because you installed the Acceleration Expansion Pack SDK does not mean you will get a check box for transparency (invisible ingame runway FSX running).

After you install both the Acceleration Pack and the Acceleration SDK you may have to reinstall ADE so it can find the Acceleration version in the Registry.

runway or tarmac and make it transparent.

If you mean you want the tarmac (Apron) in FSX to be invisible do not draw it in ADE.

If you mean you want the tarmac (Apron) on the ADE grid to be invisible then select the apron and use the Shift + O key and tap the O (alpha O). To make the Apron appear select the one that is invisible and tap the O key.

To make the runway and taxiways transparent on the ADE grid see Lane's post above.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
After you install both the Acceleration Pack and the Acceleration SDK you may have to reinstall ADE so it can find the Acceleration version in the Registry.

You shouldn't need to reinstall ADE but you should use Settings > Options > Folders and use the Find button again.

Country
us-texas
I have FSX Accel. installed and the Accel. SDK also. The transparent option does not show. I have the correct path set, and under the bglcomp properties says it's the FSX-Xpack. Is that the Accel. compiler?