SDSX License

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I think we are all agreed that this is to be a Freeware application.

What is the view on whether it will/should be Open Source?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks Lars

I will take a careful look at this (unfortunately I have had a lot of dealings with software licenses and other contracts in my life - no I am not a lawyer :) )

I guess the key question to me is whether we make the source code of SDSX available to the community and if we do then under what conditions.

I think that the

Microsoft Limited Community License (Ms-LCL)

Suits the needs. However there is the problem of what will be the country that will host the project since the laws aren't uniform.

José

I think that the

Microsoft Limited Community License (Ms-LCL)

Suits the needs. However there is the problem of what will be the country that will host the project since the laws aren't uniform.

José
Ehh, have anyone seen a three line thing explaining the difference between MS-CL and MS-LCL somewhere? :)

I do not think it matters where it is hosted. This only matters if you are doing something that might be illegal in some countries, which is not the case here (I think, you never know if we break some North Korean law) :)
Copyright is protected by the laws of the jurisdiction the possible infringement take place as far as I know (not that I am a lawyer, specifically not a lawyer with international experience).

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Ehh, have anyone seen a three line thing explaining the difference between MS-CL and MS-LCL somewhere?
Limits to Windows Platform? which this will be anyway :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
For a quick view that MS-CL license looks OK to me, but I need to do some more reading to see all details :).

I would not mind if we share the source code as well. We already need a repository for us to use, so why not let others see it as well?

For a quick view that MS-CL license looks OK to me, but I need to do some more reading to see all details :).

I would not mind if we share the source code as well. We already need a repository for us to use, so why not let others see it as well?
On Codeplex you can't restrict downloads as far as I know, so if we use it (which I hope), then the decission to share the source is made. :)