FSX sea level

Hi,

I am afraid I am getting a bit confused.
I always thought that, when adding an ocean hydro polygon, it would always be at sea level unless you change the level.
So I remade a coastline for an airport next to the sea and made some water where there was no water before. However, the water there is not at the same level as the sea (0ft).
Of course, I can remedy that by adding a flatten at 0 level, but that involves drawing that part of the coastline once more.
Have I been wrong in my thinking all the time?

Last edited:
Nope, the mesh comes first and on top of it FSX puts the landclass.

So if you wand to change the coastline you often have to change the mesh in that area too, only if all has the same hight.. it wouldnt be needed. (or the other way arround)

A hydro-poly will force the mesh to be zero at the boundary (unless there is also a flatten active).

Cool that you say that... but as robystar proofed, it is not. Cause he added a hydro poly ;)

Also in payware addons like FSGlobalX2010 you have two options after the install.

A. The mesh rises the water where you have water.
B. Where the mesh rises, on a pre water area, the water disappears.

This is an option in the terrain.cfg as far as i know.

PS: and something from the FSX(Prepar3D) SDK
Hydro Polygons - These are used for slopes and medium/high resolution water polygons.

Last edited:
I don't know where you get your information Max, and Roby has proved nothing.

It is very easy to show that an hydro-poly will flatten to sea-level.

Here is default FSX and the ground height under the aircraft is 96.9 metres.

and here is the same position with an hydro-poly covering the south of the isthmus. As you can see, the ground height is zero.

Hi,
Funny you say that George because I thought it used to be like that as well.
Only, it does not when you add a hydropolygon with ADE (oceanperennial) over land.
Hence my confusion and it seems I have added to the confusion:confused:?

PS Just spent more than an hour on shaping a 0 ft flatten to keep the water down.
PS2 I do have this altered terrain.cfg installed. Could that be the cause? I also had the same problem with Ramsgate.

Last edited:
Only, it does not when you add a hydropolygon with ADE (oceanperennial) over land.
Well, as you can see, I applied an Ocean Perennial hydro-poly over land and it did work.

Are you sure you dont have another flatten active?

The info was from the SDK.. as i told, and my experience with water.

And as roby said, he used a hydro poly. Now you proved that it works, so im wrong, again it was just my opinion of that stuff.

A question, is the ocean a big hydro poly or something else?

Cannot find any other flattens in the area besides some "ocean flattens" at 0ft, George.
Take a look at my AD2 file and see if you get the same or different, if you please?

Tks,

Roby

Last edited:
Altered terrain cfg?

Bob
I'm guessing that they are referring to the modified terrain cfg that SBuilderX comes with. Myself, I don't use it; I only found out about it recently myself and I figure most of the people who would use my scenery would not have it installed.

I also didnt install the altered terrain.cfg of scenerybuilder, what does it do?

PS: And i thougth the as you mmann. (What a name ^^)

We are referring to fsx_modified_terrain_cfg.zip by Dick Ludowise (rhumbaflappy) and Luis Feliz-Tirado. Search for it at Avsim.

Cannot find any other flattens in the area besides some "ocean flattens" at 0ft, George.
Take a look at my AD2 file and see if you get the same or different, if you please?

Tks,

Roby
Hmm, I cannot see anything other than flat water :confused: Can you give me specific coordinates?

OK. I've found it.

I have no idea what the problem is. Have you tried excluding the default hydro-poly?

Hi Roby,

I did a quick and nasty hydro-poly for the harbour entrance in SBX, having excluded water-polys and shorelines:

It looks fine in FSX:

Edit. BTW, this is the same view with the default scenery, you definitely need to exclude the default water polys.

Last edited: