• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Seasonal Texture Switch for everyone?

Country
germany
Hi all,

seasonal texture switch functionality is obviously not present in FSX.
The only ways seems to either rely on landclass editing and custom autogen definition or asking the user to replace textures by hand (or via an extra application).

On the other hand Orbx, FT & Co. obviously found an automated method to change their custom nature textures. But they probably don't want to share or open their technical solution for others ;-)

In my EDAH FS9 project I used images of the real tree type that is present in that airport. And I would like to keep that option for my FSX EDVK project.

dtwl.jpg

Wouldn't it be possible to develop something like ONE standard module/framework on which many scenery designers could rely on? Maybe free to use for freeware scenery projects and fee-based for commercial project (just like FSUIPC).

Excuse me if it sounds naiv, I can image this would be a complex project and there may be a reason why something like this doesn't yet exists.
But even though I decided to post my thoughts.
And I would support the development $-wise.

Anyone?

Cheers Volker

Country
unitedkingdom
This would be great, but if anyone had a solution, I think it would have been suggested/produced a long while ago.

However, I'd love for there to be something that could switch seasons available!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think many developers use autogen trees nowadays, these do support seasonal textures. The autogen can switch different models based on the season.

Hi,

And if you wish to plant individual trees that change with the seasons, there is the possibility to add them as effects.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, the effect approach to place the trees does influence the performance. So I think most developers only use it if no other approach is possible. For certain special objects it can work.

Country
germany
So there's no way to render 'nature' in FSX in the way I did in my FS9 scenery (ca. 1000 handplaced custom tree models)...at least without a magic module...

But the 'effect' method seems to be a good option for few trees / bushes right in the middle of some building models and on top of a FS8 groundpoly. Thanks for this hint :)

Sent from my iPhone 6

Country
switzerland
Wouldn't it be possible to develop something like ONE standard module/framework on which many scenery designers could rely on? Maybe free to use for freeware scenery projects and fee-based for commercial project (just like FSUIPC).

Excuse me if it sounds naiv, I can image this would be a complex project and there may be a reason why something like this doesn't yet exists.
But even though I decided to post my thoughts.
And I would support the development $-wise.

Anyone?

Cheers Volker

Hi Volker

I have developed such a module years ago using SimConnect for my Payware sceneries (FlyLogic Switzerland Airfields). It was a result of unfruitful explorations into effect-based seasonal switching and other hacks. I found a way to make dynamic switching of objects using the SimConnect API.

I was even able to trigger custom FSX animation on objects using the native text-menu of FSX (similar to the ATC text window). Still having some problems with that regarding bounding boxes, but as a proof of concept, it works nicely.

I always wanted to integrate all that conditional display/animation stuff into one single module but never dared to start the project.

But having seen now that after all those years, no one came up with a solution, I'm thinking of trying to implement such a module...at least for the community for their freeware scenery. I don't know if there's interest in licencing such an engine for commercial developers. I am surprised that nobody took notice of my dynamic switching tool used in my payware sceneries...;-)

Cheers
-Jeff

Country
germany
Hi Volker

I have developed such a module years ago using SimConnect for my Payware sceneries (FlyLogic Switzerland Airfields). It was a result of unfruitful explorations into effect-based seasonal switching and other hacks. I found a way to make dynamic switching of objects using the SimConnect API.

I was even able to trigger custom FSX animation on objects using the native text-menu of FSX (similar to the ATC text window). Still having some problems with that regarding bounding boxes, but as a proof of concept, it works nicely.

I always wanted to integrate all that conditional display/animation stuff into one single module but never dared to start the project.

But having seen now that after all those years, no one came up with a solution, I'm thinking of trying to implement such a module...at least for the community for their freeware scenery. I don't know if there's interest in licencing such an engine for commercial developers. I am surprised that nobody took notice of my dynamic switching tool used in my payware sceneries...;-)

Cheers
-Jeff

Jeff, that would be simply A W E S O M E ! And I bet not only for me but for all of the scenery designers here who don't have simconnect programming knowledge but wish to add conditional/seasonal objects in their FSX sceneries.

And btw I'm thinking about maybe going commercial with a next project someday. So count on at least one possible customer for licensing ;)

Thank you for considering to start such a project, I really appreciate that.

Cheers Volker

Country
switzerland
So then, I've been deep into C++ Code in the last few days and started to put the module together. So far, I'm pretty happy with the progress.

I called the module "SimObject Display Engine" and I will open up a separate thread here in the forum with some examples of what you can do with it and perhaps some videos as well to demonstrate the triggering of custom FSX animations.

Stay tuned :D

-Jeff

Country
england
Jeff,

I have been watching this topic also, this is simply great news !!!

Best Regards,

Pete.

Country
netherlands
So then, I've been deep into C++ Code in the last few days and started to put the module together. So far, I'm pretty happy with the progress.

I called the module "SimObject Display Engine" and I will open up a separate thread here in the forum with some examples of what you can do with it and perhaps some videos as well to demonstrate the triggering of custom FSX animations.

Stay tuned :D

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Interesting as well to me. With the capabilities of SimConnect it was strange to me that for past seven years, almost no developers deployed the solution... All that I knew of were Orbx, FSDT(+Flightbeam by means of license) and one in-development from a team I will not name.
So it seems there are more.

Either case - as for what I have now.

A working dll-based module usable for displaying different versions of models accorging to FS variables including, but not limited to, season and weather.

Animation is working, but not yet included in the deployed version.

Currently I am waiting for P3D v2 to ensure compatibility and then making it more stable and extensible in preparation for offering it to other developers (I have been looking at the same model - free for freeware sceneries, for a fee for payware)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Very nice to see some people are working on this. I have been thinking about it before, but never had the time to really work it out into something fully workable.

Country
netherlands
Very nice to see some people are working on this. I have been thinking about it before, but never had the time to really work it out into something fully workable.

Yes - I do remember you were putting in some thoughts when I was beginning. :)

Country
germany
This will probably become one of the standard scenery design frameworks besides Arno's Tools, ADE & Sbuilder, ...

Can't wait to start experimenting with it :)

Country
netherlands
... and there I was, thinking I had the market cornered :)

really thinking this should have been available ages ago, but looking forward to seeing what comes of development - Jeffs and mine.