FS2004 Seasonal texture

Hi to all,
i'm creating 4 different ground texture for my airport based on season. I read few minutes ago, the wiki about Seasonal textures (ASM tweak). But, for me it's very long procedure and difficult, because my project contain 19 bmp texture (for all 4 season are 76). Ok... First one, i don't understand the tweak, but i find another simple procedure on this forum:

IFIN1 OBJECT_0_FAIL, SEASON_CYCL, 2, 2

where: 2, 2 are for Summer
0, 0 for Winter
1, 1 for Spring
3, 3 for Fall

--- groun poly creation: i have created with GMAX 4 bgl files with different seasonal texture (xxx_WI.BGL, XXX_SP.BGL, XXX_FA.BGL, XXX_SU.BGL)
--- After this, i have edited the 4 .ASM files (not _0asm.) with this lines:

OBJECT_0_START label word
IFIN1 OBJECT_0_FAIL, image_complex, 2, 32767
IFIN1 OBJECT_0_FAIL, SEASON_CYCL, 2, 2
ADDCAT OBJECT_0_SCALE, 8
OBJECT_0_FAIL label BGLCODE

Its works fine and the textures change when change the season. I want to know if this procedure is correct.
Another question. Can i make a invisible runway (only RWY and PAPI LIGHTS) above the terrain because with the custom poly, the rwy of AFCAD is covered? If yes, how?

many thanks to all and sorry for my bad english

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Your approach to tweaking will also work. The article is for tweaking so that you have all textures in one BGL, but that is a little more work.

Hi,

Your approach to tweaking will also work. The article is for tweaking so that you have all textures in one BGL, but that is a little more work.
Hi Arno and thanks for your reply. the question is if my procedure (4 bgl files for 4 season) is correct. The BMPs files are with Alpha channel, i need to save its in DXT1 with Alpha (650 Kb) or DXT3 (1.33 Mb)?
Another question, please : I have tryed a custom runway with scasm code. It work fine in FS2004 and in FSX too (no frame rate problems), but my runway surface (-1, 1, 2, etc) don't is invisible. When i write in Scasm code - 1, i have a grass runway but non Invisible. How i make an invisible RWY only PAPI and rwy lights?

Many thanks Arno

Best regards

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Yes, your procedure is fine.

For the textures it depends. If your alpha channel is only black or white, DXT1 will be fine. Else you should use DXT3.

I can't answer the question about the SCASM runway, it is a very long time ago I tried to use that technique.

Hi,

Yes, your procedure is fine.

For the textures it depends. If your alpha channel is only black or white, DXT1 will be fine. Else you should use DXT3.

I can't answer the question about the SCASM runway, it is a very long time ago I tried to use that technique.
thanks again ;) . Do you have another technique for rwy lights only?

Hi,

This tweak, while simple to accomplish, seems to strictly apply the astronomical seasons. Is the only way to effect a specific date (day number) for a season change acheived by using the day of the year variable 038A in the asm _0 file?

Greg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
That is correct. To match the terrain seasons you need to use the day of the year variable.