• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Seasonal textures

Country
unitedstates
I am trying to incorporate some seasonal textures into my scenery objects. I was looking at another scenery and saw the textures labeled with a "season" suffix.

Is this all one has to do to get seasonal texture effects? Or is there more work in the xml/bgl file?

Thanks
Henry

Capture.JPG

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

No, FS won't automatically pick up the season textures. For fsx mdl objects it's not possible at all to have seasonal textures. The way the autogen does it is have a different mdl object for each season.

For fs2004 mdl objects you can add seasonal textures in the mdl file. That requires editing the asm code or tweaking the mdl using my mdl tweaker tool. You can't assign them directly from gmax.

Country
unitedstates
In FSX, it is no problem for me to have 4 mdls. How does FSX determine which mdl to use and/or how do I specify?

Thanks for ModelXConverter btw!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It's only with autogen that FSX automatically can switch between models. So that doesn't work for objects placed with XML/BGLComp.

An alternative is to use SimConnect to place the objects. Then you can switch between them based on some logic. Some of this popular payware sceneries use this. There was some discussion a while ago about people developing a SimConnect placement module for general use, but I don't think these are available yet.

So, will it be possible with this tool to place stock trees and use accordingly the stock seasonal textures?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Country
netherlands
Not sure about stock. The module places custom SimObjects. If you have the mdl and textures of stock trees, then I suppose yes.

There is also a way to call library objects, but I will have to test that if it works correctly.