• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Several of my airports now crashing to desktop for users after world update 4

Country
unitedkingdom
Is anyone else getting this?

4-5 airports I've built are now crashing the sim when you try to start on them after the latest update. You click start and then a few seconds later the sim crashes. This is guaranteed to happen every time.

It's not just me, other users are reporting this with them and other people are mentioning the same thing with other third party airports too, both payware and freeware.

Recompiling does nothing. Tweaking the file slightly and building does nothing.

I can open the project and everything shows up. What I can't do is access it as a regular user, it only opens in the SDK.

There's no particular unifying characteristic of each airport. They're all made the same. So I don't know what's different between those and the ones that still work.

I seriously doubt I can be bothered to rebuild them all from scratch so it's either find a solution or bin them.

Has anyone started to form any ideas about what they've broken this time?

Last edited:
Country
hungary
delete content.xml at AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_#random#\LocalCache

Country
unitedkingdom
Several people testing them have done this. Didn't work.

And these airports are useless if users have to do that.

Something in world update 4 has broken them and people are reporting more of them now.

Country
brazil
please check if when you open the fs2020 the developer mode is enabled? if yes delete the comunity folder and reopen the fs2020 and turn off the developer mode. I was having this same problem with scenarios and planes, and I realized that when you start the fs2020 with the dev.mod turned on, the simulator crashes at startup

Country
unitedkingdom
I am not writing as a user. These are airports I've made that are crashing for me and other people. Everyone will have different settings and I have no idea what anyone else's settings are. Everyone is getting a crash.

They were all totally fine before world update 4. People are reporting this with payware airports too.

Something in world update 4 has broken them. I need to know what it is or a lot of work is going to be thrown away.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
I am not writing as a user. These are airports I've made that are crashing for me and other people. Everyone will have different settings and I have no idea what anyone else's settings are. Everyone is getting a crash.

They were all totally fine before world update 4. People are reporting this with payware airports too.

Something in world update 4 has broken them. I need to know what it is or a lot of work is going to be thrown away.
What do you have in your scenery ?
custom ground imagery by chance ?

Country
unitedkingdom
Nothing very exotic. Some have a small amount of 3d models. They all have a few custom ground markings but not very many at all.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
Quite weird, maybe a new scenery compilation with the new version SDK would help

Country
unitedkingdom
I got one working by creating a new project with the latest SDK, stripping out the hierarchy structure from the old one's XML which was agonising and line by line as the new project wasn't having it, and then transferring the same info across.

The new SDK creates a slightly different folder structure, but that doesn't explain why some airports still work after the update unchanged and some don't. I can't find a difference between them.

Country
italy
I got a (by now) single user complaining about same issue (ctd) @ my recently released LIDT

Of course no problem on my side

I Will try your Airport (have seen them om flightsim.to) and check whether the same ctd Will happen to me

-I don't get why you can"t load your scenery as a simple user, put the thing in you community folder and unless you load your project in dev mode you wont spot any difference from others-

My only Guess Is we could be using some assest (object/textures etc),maybe coming from standard marketplace that users with problems may have not downloaded

(i mean uk/usa/Japan free udpdates, as a developer i try to keep my Sim as default as possible in order to avoid such kind of problem)

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
unitedkingdom
If you have an asset from something people haven't downloaded the only thing that should happen is that they won't see it. That's happened a few times.

I've disabled the worst culprits for crashing but Guernsey on here - https://flightsim.to/file/1615/chan...erhaul-jersey-guernsey-sark-alderney-airports is getting the most reports. I'll try to change that today.

The original version crashed. I adjusted the same project until it didn't for me. It still does for other people.

Edit - the 'repaired' version with a new folder structure now crashes for me on a computer that the original crashy one worked fine on. If I stick the one with the pre update folder structure in it opens fine. Hmm...

If anyone can be bothered to see if there's anything obvious, this version is the original project that doesn't crash on my main machine after I kept tweaking until it stopped crashing https://www.mediafire.com/file/uc6kf1p9umqjsft/guernsey+old+version.zip/file

This version is made from new with the new SDK, I copied and pasted the XML info, in the same way that fixed another airport that the update broke, but this now crashes every time on the same machine - https://www.mediafire.com/file/9l4q33aou3ettw8/guernsey+new+version.zip/file

Last edited:
Country
italy
Tried your aiports, no problems so far

As per the above mentioned problems, my user eventually said that issue was due to an "enhaced runway texture pack", using standard texture problem won't occur

How in the hell a replacement texture Will make the Sim crash at an Airport using It Is beyond my imagination

Hope that helps

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Please review this thread:

Country
unitedkingdom
Several of the crashers didn't have any models at all.

The only thing that worked was a new project with the different file structure created by the new SDK, and even then it still failed in a couple of cases.

It would happen with nothing else in the community folder too so it was something inherent in the project itself, not anything else.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well one can try only so hard, but if one offers a link to address ctd's in a thread about ctd's and the link is ignored, perhaps those suffering these crashes can benefit.
The only thing that worked was a new project with the different file structure created by the new SDK, and even then it still failed in a couple of cases.

I really didn't want to get into this particular issue, I don't have this scenery and I am not crashing, but if something isn't working for many people and changes in the file structure allow it to work, until people using addons created with that same files structure start to have issues, it really, really sounds like a file naming conflict.

The person that made the post was not an addon developer, but he was so concerned about the ctd situation, that he developed a tool to find and rename the file conflicts.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
It is nearly impossible to debug a situation like this without attaching a Project that has the actual problem. We can guess and flail around endlessly without a working example to test. We get threads like this every day. Please include a project to demonstrate the problem... or don't ask for help. And I do mean a project, not a package.

Country
unitedkingdom
It is nearly impossible to debug a situation like this without attaching a Project that has the actual problem. We can guess and flail around endlessly without a working example to test. We get threads like this every day. Please include a project to demonstrate the problem... or don't ask for help. And I do mean a project, not a package.

In this particular case it is 100% a world update issue so there wasn't much point. Before the update everything was absolutely fine. The moment it dropped most of these places insta croaked. None of them had ever received a crash report before. After the update there was a torrent of them.

Country
us-texas
I have had this issue before, you have to compare a non-crashing version with a crashing version, BeyondCompare or similar utility can be useful. I just delete large chunks of the XML file until I narrowed it down (delete large chunk, add it back slowly until you find the problem lines). Another issue that causes crashes is materials from one version to another on the SDK. Delete all the custom textures and materials from the directory before compiling, add them back slowly and test after each one. Make sure to remove the materials themselves from the material editor after you delete the files. You have to go into the material editor and re-create them one-by-one again manually and re-assign. Delete the entire material directory.

It makes no sense, but the SAME exact material that used to crash my airport no longer does, and all I did was delete / remove / compile / re-add fresh with newer SDK. There is likely a bad flag or version incompatibility in certain very specific cases.