• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Shelter Cove

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
Was getting bored, so thought of creating a challenging airport,

Needs a lot of work on the 3d terrain. Here's a preview.

Last edited:

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
can anybody help me getting imagery data for the US for shelter cove area?

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
North West point: 40.039080, -124.083952
South East point: 40.019593, -124.057645

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Country
unitedstates
Which year's data do you want? There's 2012, 2010 (crap!). 2009... :banghead:

Check you PMs for a link.

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
Since I didnt find any good mesh files enough to fill my detailed requirements, I decided to create my own. Here's a preview of what I have in mind. Will use layering technique to create elevations as a picture in photoshop and then use gmax to displace the polygon to meet the requirements.

Last edited:

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
last one for today, you guys can compare the airport area with the Google earth! :D

Last edited:

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
Test driving around; not a single blurry moment like photoscenery

Last edited:

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
Now only question I have is, how do I make this a landing platform?

How do I properly place fs8 style polygons on it? or FSX style ground polygons would be nice. Any ideas guys? (FSX style ground poly guide would be nice) :banghead:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Really interesting project.
You use displacement modification in Gmax to make the hill and shore line, don't you?

For landing platform problem, you just select the polygon that represent the ground and detach it as a clone. Now attach them with the platform by using the FStool.

I wonder if there a problem coming along with this. If you export as fsx.mdl, you cannot make layers above it. Ground poly will not be visible above mdl. object.
FSX does not support layers placement, you need to put them slightly above each layer. That will cause wheel sink to the ground.

Other way to go around this problem, IMHO, you need to separate the flat surface to FS2002 style to make layer possible, other shoreline to be fsx mdl.

Last edited:

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
Really interesting project.
You use displacement modification in Gmax to make the hill and shore line, don't you?

For landing platform problem, you just select the polygon that represent the ground and detach it as a clone. Now attach them with the platform by using the FStool.

I wonder if there a problem coming along with this. If you export as fsx.mdl, you cannot make layers above it. Ground poly will not be visible above mdl. object.
FSX does not support layers placement, you need to put them slightly above each layer. That will cause wheel sink to the ground.

Other way to go around this problem, IMHO, you need to separate the flat surface to FS2002 style to make layer possible, other shoreline to be fsx mdl.

Yep, a tutorial I found on fsdeveloper for the displacement modification was used.

I will detach it as a clone but the part containing the airport will include a bigger image divided into slices edited in photoshop like ORBX and maybe FSX materials to be used. I wonder if shadows will work on that? Would take some time to understand the working of the AFCAD files with this mdl object. The problem I feel might occur is the display of the default runway on top of the mdl object itself.

Second option would be to make a fake mesh for the airport only (same altitude as the mdl airport surface) and use layers on top of that using own HD images.

Kind of confused here!

Looks really interesting, freeware?

Unfortunately no :D:D

Hello

That looks awesome how did u do that ? is there maybe a tut for it?
keep up the good work

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Making_terrain_with_GMax
here you go. I just designed my own mesh for the area under construction, it's not very hard if you have a creative mind ;)

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
"Guys seems like I'll be abandoning this project for good".
I don't want to keep all of you waiting for previews. For now, it is because of the level of knowledge that I have, I don't think the scenery I will make do justice to this place. I'll be requiring a good team to work with but since I am an individual, I think it would be better to keep this project aside for some time.

Maybe, if I feel that I can do better, I'll jump back to this project.

I'll be looking for some projects from North America - One that I have in mind is boulder municipal airport (since I've lived close to that place for about an year in 2007)

But I would appreciate if you guys can comment on what you would like to see in FSX.

And a lot of you have been waiting for me to go for a Benazir Bhutto Airport Remake and OPKC for FSX, so let me inform that these two are on my list but not before I end up with something for the North American region.

P.S. Sorry for my english, not a native language :D

Country
us-texas
Bummer, it was looking good. If you don't think it is payware quality, release it as freeware.

if you are doing Boulder Municipal Airport then I will drop that off my project list, I only had the photoreal and some of the groundpoly done, so no big deal.

As for what I would like to see in FSX, lots of things, but I rarely buy payware scenery if it is something I can do myself, and I can do most things. I like your work and follow it. If you ever do any freeware work , I'll be sure to check it out.

mskhan1991

Resource contributor
Country
pakistan
Bummer, it was looking good. If you don't think it is payware quality, release it as freeware.

if you are doing Boulder Municipal Airport then I will drop that off my project list, I only had the photoreal and some of the groundpoly done, so no big deal.

As for what I would like to see in FSX, lots of things, but I rarely buy payware scenery if it is something I can do myself, and I can do most things. I like your work and follow it. If you ever do any freeware work , I'll be sure to check it out.

I do have the files but I am not sure anybody would like to just see a 3d object instead of a complete airport as freeware.

If anybody else wants to take up the project, he's more than welcome to ask me for the files. However, it's quite a huge file (around 1.5 gb) so I don't know how I'll be able to upload it!