• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Short version, Bill Lyons scenery is no joy in FSXA

Country
us-colorado
Hello:
Could have saved a lot of time if I asked that in the first place.
You can't make a fantasy island unless you have a degree in computer science.

Or is there a way to de-compile a Bill Lyons bgl and convert the data.
Answer: Yes. But we can't / won't tell you how.
GDR1944
O boy! someone is going to get upset.
Better yet just ignore me.

Hello:

You can use Sketchup (free) to create an island with a volcano which is completely fictional, or copy / modify an existing island from downloaded Google Maps terrain mesh / aerial imagery, then relocate it ex: at or near the Geographic coordinates used for the island in the "Adventures" of Bill Lyons' Classic IX Grumman Goose legacy format FS package. :idea:

That Sketchup island 3D model data can be used as a 3D textured scenery object, and/or processed into GIS data for import into other FS utilities to make terrain mesh and other terrain vector polygons for scenery.

If you are interested in learning how to make such a scenery, many aspects of that process are not so complex as to require "a degree in computer science".

Feel free to inquire further if you are serious about trying to do this for FSX or P3D. :)

GaryGB

Well Hello on a nice day in Denver:
FSX-A
OK..that's enough information to get me started.
Because I'm not the sharpest tack in the box its going to
take me awhile to read/study the manuals.
I didn't even know there was "Google Maps terrain mesh / aerial imagery"
The scenery objects are there but not the island
FSX-A Bora.jpg
FS9 Bora.jpg

I downloaded SB205....So what, I tried to "play with it" I but could not get to do anything.
Never did find the island tutorial. I don't want to read 8 pages of posts to find one link..
I don't know what IIUC means.
I don't know how to "Append"
I don't know what a LWM / LWM2 flatten BGL, and/or a "sloped" LWM3 flatten BGL is or how to "Append them.

FYI: One may also "Append" in SBuilder for FS9 (aka "SB205"), LWM and VTP BGLs from Bill Lyons' Classic XIV scenery package
Does it mean that I can use Bill Lyons BGL's cause they won't load to SB205 or SBX
I mean, if I can convert the original bgl's then I don't have to make them.
Some where I think I posted that fact.

I guess that asking "where to start" is to simple a question for such a complicated process.
I know you have been trying to tell me but I don't get it.

GDR1944
going to watch another movie now.....

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...scenery-is-no-joy-in-fsxa.435872/#post-730016

I downloaded SB205....So what, I tried to "play with it" I but could not get to do anything.
Never did find the island tutorial. I don't want to read 8 pages of posts to find one link..
I don't know what IIUC means.
I don't know how to "Append"
I don't know what a LWM / LWM2 flatten BGL, and/or a "sloped" LWM3 flatten BGL is or how to "Append them.

FYI: One may also "Append" in SBuilder for FS9 (aka "SB205"), LWM and VTP BGLs from Bill Lyons' Classic XIV scenery package

Does it mean that I can use Bill Lyons BGL's cause they won't load to SB205 or SBX
I mean, if I can convert the original bgl's then I don't have to make them.
Some where I think I posted that fact.

I guess that asking "where to start" is to simple a question for such a complicated process.
I know you have been trying to tell me but I don't get it.

Hi Gerry:

I reviewed your posting history here at FS Developer, and I did not see a clear statement by you, that you were interested in converting legacy format "island" terrain scenery ...rather than making a fictional / "fantasy" replacement island.

But, I now understand that you may have a primary goal of achieving display in FSX of (all ?) the island(s) used in the Bill Lyons' Classic XIV scenery package (aka "CXIV"), which was developed and intended for use in FS2004.

Since that package was originally developed and output into 'legacy' (pre-FSX) format BGLs, there are some special procedures that would be required to "allow" display of that legacy Land /Water Mask (aka "LWM") terrain scenery content by the FSX rendering engine.

Also, since there is more than just 'one' way to achieve display of the terrain scenery content from that package in FSX, I would personally want to be clear on exactly what you want to do with this project.

[EDITED]

If I understand correctly (aka "IIUC"), you may now prefer to simply "enable" display in FSX, of the original legacy LWM format 'island' terrain scenery BGLs from that package, ...rather than "converting" that 'island' terrain scenery to a fully FSX-compatible format ? :scratchch

And, IIUC, in the event that is not possible or feasible to simply enable display of the original LWM 'island' BGLs, you would then instead prefer "converting" that 'island' terrain scenery to a fully FSX-compatible format, ...rather than "replacing" that 'island' terrain scenery with a custom created FSX-compatible version of 1 or more such 'islands' ?

[END_EDIT]

If I have correctly understood your preferences as stated above, then I may be able to help you achieve your goals by posting some step-by-step procedures for you to follow.

It is possible that you may subsequently be able to accomplish this with a minimum of complexity, but you would have to be committed to doing some self-study, and you would have to conduct your communications with others here in a courteous and patient manner (just as we all must do in order to achieve all our own respective goals, and hopefully to also have some fun while learning). :pushpin:

FYI: My personal available free time will be rather limited over this end of the week and into the coming weekend, but I may have some time to prepare a procedural guide in the coming week prior to the XMAS holiday.

BTW: I'd also be interested in seeing any further information posted by Ian (aka "iangbusa") to present his work-flow, as there has historically been relatively little detailed information made available to the FS development community on how to create elevation data for terrain mesh from end-user custom imagery files edited in graphics applications. ;)

And I'd also be interested in seeing any further information posted by others ...to present their work-flows as well. :)

PS: Please be assured that there is likely a way to achieve display of the original island BGLs in the Bill Lyons' Classic XIV scenery package ...if you are not presently inclined to follow a moderately detailed conversion or replacement work-flow.

[EDITED]

"Island Tutorial" info was linked to more than once in replies by others ...in this thread:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsxa-fantasy-island.435844/

Regarding how to de-compile the legacy format terrain scenery BGLs such as we are discussing here, this is automatically done for the end user in SBuilder for FS9 (aka "SB205") when one navigates:

SBuilder for FS9 Menu > File > Append... > LWM BGL...

Once the required LWM and VTP BGLs are imported into SBuilder for FS9, one navigates:

SBuilder for FS9 Menu > File > Export... > SBuilder SBX...

The SBX file can then be Imported or Appended into SBuilder for FSX (aka "SBuilderX"); after the SBX file is displayed in SBuilderX, one can better see the terrain vector vertices, poly-lines, polygons, and land class 'types' used in the original package, as well as more precise Geographic coordinates for the terrain vertices etc.

The terrain scenery data within the Imported / Appended SBX file can be used in SBuilderX to make custom FSX and/or P3D compatible scenery "replacements" for the original files in the above package.

Again, feel free to inquire further if you would like more information on determining various legacy-format BGL 'types' utilized in the original Bill Lyons' Classic XIV scenery package. ;)

[END_EDIT]

Regarding further enhancement of terrain by semi-automatic processing of exported legacy FS elevation data via Sketchup using plugin Ruby scripts (all 'free'), here's a "proof-of-concept" screen shot of Eel Island from Bill Lyons' Classic XIV scenery package:

ccxiv_eel_island_tin_3d-jpg.26067

[EDITED] ...and a screen shot from the post-processed Sketchup 3D TIN imported to MCX:

ccxiv_eel_island_tin_3d_mcx-jpg.26432

...and for comparison, the original scenery location as rendered in FS2004:

ccxiv_eel_island_fs9-jpg.26435

[END_EDIT]

Perhaps when you become more familiar with the FSX scenery creation process using various FS scenery utilities, you might even wish to explore enhancing FSX rendering of the original islands in the Bill Lyons' Classic XIV scenery package with FSX compatible visual and sound Effects, including waterfalls, and even volcanic eruptions (ex: on a 'scheduled' basis, or triggered by end user aircraft proximity to an island etc.) ! :santahat:

GaryGB

Attachments

• CCXIV_Eel_Island_TIN_3D.jpg
    CCXIV_Eel_Island_TIN_3D.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 1,155
  • CCXIV_Eel_Island_TIN_3D_MCX.jpg
    CCXIV_Eel_Island_TIN_3D_MCX.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,063
  • CCXIV_Eel_Island_FS9.jpg
    CCXIV_Eel_Island_FS9.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 1,111
Last edited:

:rotfl:

Hey Gary (and up-front apologies for one of my typically long-winded posts. Are they allowed to be this long?)

Let me see if I can dig out my old files (on an old laptop and backup drives somewhere - we're talking pre-Cloud here!) over the Holidays if I'm allowed to take time out from last minute shopping, carving turkey, or tidying up gift wrap from where the kids have left it piled all over the floor - or in between snoozes on the sofa.

I've been dabbling with various FS nuts-and-bolts since very early versions. After getting into and used to FSX, way back in 2008-2009, I put together an "archipelago" around 30N 30W with one pretty big island. It was clumsy but fun (learning as I went). Mind numbing at times. Learning how to do the elevations was really hit-and-miss with some spectacular 10,000 foot cliffs and valleys, ocean crawling up onto land at first, or mountains sprouting out of square plateaus/plains that stood out from all the surrounding areas. I also ended up Resampling for revised regions in various places and population density (e.g. needed to get traffic working on the roads). The end result also combined newly compiled fictitious ATC areas of various types, lots of large and small airports/airfields, AI traffic, land class autogen, vector scenery, custom objects, etc., etc. - in short, over a about a year I had a blast just messing around with every scenery "dial" I could mess with to see what happened!

A lot of this you'll know already, Gary. I'm sure plenty of others have followed something similar and better. It's not a "pro" approach but I muddled through.

The basic steps I used for the mesh pretty much just followed the lines explained by the SDK Help (and, as I came across so many things that didn't work, checked a thousand invaluable forum posts on all the great sites that are available thanks to the tremendous, knowledgeable, generous fellow tinkerers out there - apologies to those who don't tinker but who do this very seriously plus immense thanks to the developers of the tools without which we'd all struggle to do what we want). I did something like the following:
  1. I followed all the usual SBX procedure for creating islands (later adding, most of the land class and vector scenery, ADE for airports, manually editing xml files for various things, etc.
    1. The original coastlines were simply created in SBX
    2. I also drew some coast outlines (or changes) in both Google Earth and Global Mapper as I recall
    3. This meant using either shp or kml files and processing directly to create the bgls
  2. I then created monochome tif files using PAINT.net (I think) - sometimes grayscale, other times red channel (I think)
    1. Bear in mind I was playing/experimenting!
    2. I toyed a great deal with the RGB values
    3. As it was entirely fictitious, the precision contour height and location was not too important but had to fit in the general scheme
    4. This allowed manual "painting" of the image files, 0 to 255 RGB values (but monochrome, single channel remember because it was easy!)
    5. The process and tool might obviously allow for a lot of precision in RW situations but the only other instance where I've resorted to it is blending crummy looking airport flattens to local mesh elevations (before Terrain Sculptor)
  3. For each area, the INF file was customized to specify the lat/lon coordinates from SBX and also shown within FSX when testing - plus a bit of trial-and-error guesswork there
    1. I thoroughly absorbed myself in the INF file and Resample use
    2. I'll have to check my own INF files to validate some of my memories and tweaks I made but there's a decent set of examples in the SDK
    3. For both land surface coverage dimensions and elevations, I generally used parameters in the Destination File section rather than the Source File
      1. Many of those are deprecated (like BaseValue and FractionBits) or might be for all I know
      2. Anyway it was simpler to think about just one set of parameters where others might serve the same purpose (there's redundancy in my limited understanding)
      3. For example, I used image file resolution/size to specify surface dimensions
        1. Source file parameters ulxMap, ulyMap are still required to locate the upper-left position
        2. xDim, yDim (in degrees not meters - see LOD pixel equivalents below) are still required and you have to take care to match your Source image
        3. Selection of the correct coordinates and also LOD values to ensure land area coverage is critical - check the QMID (Quad Mesh Identifier)/LOD table for pixel equivalents
          upload_2015-12-19_11-40-55.png
        4. See discussion of QMID/LOD in the SDK Help)
        5. Notice how the various QMID/LOD values roughly reflect the common scenery mesh resolutions, making it possible to create and interpret the Source input files for the desired mesh resolution
        6. I think often I used Auto in the INF and just sized the image appropriately (in pixels)
      4. It's a matter of understanding the dimensions of the area and contours you want to create by picking (or scaling) the image size and/or LOD parameter value (pixels=meters for surface dimensions, RGB values = meters for elevations)
    4. The images, and their respective INF and bgl files, not only covered areas of different sizes but also different required altitude ranges
    5. For some areas (images) I had to experiment with BaseValue and FractionBits to achieve the right elevations and smoothness of contouring and, as far as possible, blend them into surrounding or underlying elevation mesh
      1. For example, I created an overall sea level to 500m contour mesh bgl for the entire large island from one tif file (I think at LOD 13 or 19m/pixel)
      2. This file worked only up to the limit around 500 meters possible without changing BaseValue (see quote below from SDK Help - my underlining - and the Resample tool section in the Help file)
    6. Values of 0 in source files without any BaseValue adjustment equal sea level
    7. Because the basic interpretation of the RGB data values is taken at 1 meter intervals, the maximum elevation would be 500-ish meters (hex 255 for pixel value in tif file)
    8. Then, for specific areas, I created images and scaled the output to start at the local underlying elevation level plus create whatever order of magnitude elevation was necessary to create tall peaks or similar, within the bounds of the scale used
    9. These smaller areas were often created at higher mesh resolutions
    10. I also often had to iterate elevation values in the image or, more often and preferably, scaling in the INF file as I tested in FSX and found results that looked awkward or a bit too unrealistic
    11. Having to change the ground location coordinates was also sometimes necessary
  4. Output bgl files were, as usual, always placed in the relevant activated Scenery folder
Using Scaled Elevation Values

The simulation supports scaled elevation values. The elevation resampler provides a capability whereby very precise elevation values can be specified at the expense of the range of these values. By default, the resampler expects elevation values to be in increments of one meter. However, with the BaseValue and FractionBits directive, you can specify different scalings for destination data. For example, if you have source data precise to 1/128 meter, then to represent the example data without any loss of accuracy, specify 9 bits for the whole number part and 7 bits for the fraction part, or a 9.7 number. Do this with the following directive:

FractionBits = 7

Since 9 bits are reserved for the whole number part, the range is -512 to 511.984375 meters. This is a fairly narrow range. Unless the area on the earth represented by this data is below 512 meters (and above -512 meters), there would be a problem representing the magnitude of the elevations. An elevation of 1000 meters, for example, cannot be expressed with a "9.7" scaled number. It is outside of the range. To solve this problem, the directive BaseValue can be used to define a "zero point" for the elevation values. For example, if the following is specified:

FractionBits = 7
BaseValue = 1000

A value of zero in the source data indicates a height of 1000 meters. A value of 1 indicates a height of 1000 + 1/128 meter (or 1000.78125), and so on.

Use the FractionBits and BaseValue directives in the [Destination] section, in the [Source] section these parameters have a different, and now deprecated, purpose...
There are probably a gazillion more things I could have tried or done better but no one has enough time to devote to all the possibilities!
I could go on but Christmas shopping beckons (my wife is looming over me threateningly right now). That's all a bit of a high-level overview (and one constrained by my senile memory spasms!) but hopefully gets across the essence is a start on something that might be helpful. We can perhaps get into details elsewhere?

I don't even know if the approach is useful for anyone else. It's limited in application:
mainly for people putting together non-RW scenery, perhaps some very specific RW areas where they're attempting highly detailed mesh (and are really good at editing images!), sometimes quickly blending an airport into surrounding mesh. Even so, it can often be a long-winded chore and hit-or-miss, particularly until you master the process steps and can run through them pretty fast. Good organization of files, backups, and an eye for detail help.

On a more general, final note (as it's that "sharing and caring" time of year right now):

I would say to anyone, especially developers just getting into things, one of my biggest beliefs and approaches is simply to get stuck in and try anything and everything as far as testing and toying with the SDK or any other tools. Break things! You get to learn so much more about the capabilities of what your trying to use and how to solve your problems. It won't be the end of the world if things don't work as you expect or desire first time. Backup everything and constantly, of course. It's simply the best way to learn about anything and FS scenery (or any other thing you can customize of develop) is no exception.

So many people here and elsewhere are very willing to help (please be patient with us sometimes as we ask dumb questions or are slow to pick up on things - or also slow to understand what people need help on). Don't be afraid to post any request for help, no matter how "dumb" or basic they may seem. I do this all the time. In fact I'd say all my questions are simple or have been answered before somewhere! It's also a great idea to say whether something worked and not just keep a thread going while things are going wrong. I'd also say share solutions. Sometimes it seems things are taken "offline" or into conversations.

Happy Hols to everyone! :santahat:

ian

Last edited:
Many thanks for posting a synopsis of your work-flow for the island creation process using FS SDK Resample. :santahat:

IIUC, you used raster image HeightMaps in a gray-scale TIFF file for elevation data, and vector data for shorelines. ;)

One might also wonder when, instead of a gray-scale TIFF, 24-bit color raster imagery source data is used, whether FS SDK Resample may be directed to use data in a fourth Band and/or Alpha channel to 'smooth' elevation increments imposed by integer values ...and summarily reduce "terracing steps" (without using FractionBits values in a Resample INF): :idea:

"One may also exploit the use of individual color channels to increase detail. For example, a standard RGB 8-bit image can only show 256 values of grey and hence only 256 heights. By using colors, a greater number of heights can be stored (for an 24-bit image, 2563 = 16,777,216 heights can be represented (2564 = 4,294,967,296 if the alpha channel is also used)). This technique is especially useful where height varies slightly over a large area. Using only grey values, because the heights must be mapped to only 256 values, the rendered terrain appears flat, with "steps" in certain places."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightmap

It has been interesting to see the occasional screenshot posted here at FSdeveloper when "non-elevation-type" 16-bit / 24-bit / 32-bit color photo-real or other raster imagery, or 8-bit "elevation-type" raster imagery ...was inadvertently used as source data for FS SDK Resample while learning the terrain creation process.

Perhaps some of those 'methods' may actually have some application in further enhancing the terrain details in certain Geo-graphic areas when local elevation sampling is lower in grid resolution. :scratchch

The possibilities offered by all these methods are rather interesting for future terrain mesh creation / modification ! :)

PS: Thanks for the friendly reminder that QMID properly is "Quad Mesh ID" in FS SDK syntax. :pushpin:

FYI: GIS data sources are now beginning to list vertical as well as horizontal Datums in the "projection" of terrain data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_datum

The FS Community has also begun to consider the FSX world in terms of its 3D "shape" as a function of horizontal and vertical distance in Arc Degrees and/or Meters, and I have recently been thinking of the Quad "Terrain Grid" as a navigable 3-Dimensional "Matrix" (or "Lattice) being not just a 2D terrain surface 'mesh' or grid, but more-so as "3D-Quads" ...having a difference in all (3) dimensions based on Longitude, Latitude, and Altitude (aka "X, Y, Z").

[EDITED]

< Perhaps one may view FS terrain (bisected) quad and 3D object OctTree "mesh" rendered into (triangulated) Direct Draw 'surfaces' ...as "Face-centered Orthorhombic Bravais lattices" ? >

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravais_lattice#Bravais_lattices_in_3_dimensions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorhombic_crystal_system#Bravais_lattices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octree

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadtree

162px-Orthorhombic-face-centered.svg.png

< The following 2 images are linked to this post by =Hollywood= >:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/dx-10-tweaks-wireframe-cool-stuff-from-paul-roussin.432720/

plane-jpg.20836

terrain-jpg.20837

[END_EDIT]

Thus, I have been inclined to use the term "Quad Matrix" (to infer a 3D 'Lattice') in some of my posts to hopefully 'expand the horizons' of thinking in the FS Community about FS terrain ...beyond mere 2D terrain grid ground surface corrections for a FSX "curved Earth" 3D world model. :duck:

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/developers/Pages/GlobalTerrain.aspx

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/calculation-of-lat-lon-can-it-be-done.425018/

fsx_sphere_6_root_quads_extruded-jpg.26165

GaryGB

Attachments

• FSX_Sphere_6_Root_Quads_Extruded.jpg
    FSX_Sphere_6_Root_Quads_Extruded.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:
:rotfl:

Hey Gary (and up-front apologies for one of my typically long-winded posts. Are they allowed to be this long?)

Happy Hols to everyone! :santahat:

ian

Long posts are usually better than short posts, because they include more details on the chosen subject all in one place.

I just find it very humorous to apologize to GaryGB (aka the duke of URL) about making long posts. :rotfl:

Many thanks to all those who take the time and effort to post long posts with as much information as possible, it allows others to learn a lot, rather than to learn a little. :wave:

Cheers
Gman

...I just find it very humorous to apologize to GaryGB (aka the duke of URL) about making long posts...
:laughing: Now you come to mention it, Gman, and checking out GaryGB's last reply to my post, I see what you mean !! :rotfl:

As you say and per my post, Mr. Url (Gman said it, not me :p) , I used monochrome TIFF (though not always greyscale - sometimes toyed with red channel and didn't have courage - actually knowledge - to try more than one channel with any success). Vector scenery was used to define coastlines etc.

Now, your mention of using the all available channels + Alpha to give a whopping 4,294,967,296 height values and noting HeightMaps (useful link right there by the way - thanks!) puts my feeble use of monochrome (single channel) images to shame. Did I really not read the documentation enough? Should've learned that lesson by now!! I had to go through plenty of additional steps to create both sufficient range of elevation and also smoothness of gradient (using FractionBits etc.) just because of what I thought was an absolute value limitation (8-bit, single channel constraint). :banghead:

Thanks for opening my eyes to new vistas of glorious technicolor! I have no idea how to do it right now but, as I said myself, it's the learning that is half the fun.

[Help needed though! I didn't find any reference to multi-channel sampling for elevations in the Resample INF SDK documentation [or how to interpret if it is there]. A pointer to it would be really helpful and much appreciated].

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/developers/Pages/GlobalTerrain.aspx is a great article, GaryGB. For those wanting to understand terrain, it goes far beyond SDK Help in its explanation and is to be thoroughly recommended. Thanks for posting. Is it referenced anywhere in our Wiki? If not, and if there's no potential issue, it might be useful for those looking to learn more.

I've always wondered about a methodology to convert various data sources not suitable for direct input to Resample (as an accepted file type) and thought of conversion to raster image as a potential approach rather than to one of the other types. I have, for example, sources of contour data that are not in valid Resample input file formats (images, GeoTIFF, Raw, GIS Geodatabases - SDE or VectorGDB). But, for example, would it be easier to take, say, shapefile vector data and convert it to VectorGDB or to rasterize it? It's possible a decent GIS package (especially a free one!) could do that for you - either directly or using a plug-in - for example QGis with its Rasterize function. I haven't tried it (yet). The same tool would probably also be able to convert your data into a valid Geodatabase format perhaps. :idea: Time to start exploring and experimenting again!!

Anyway - Gary - you started to lose me when I read "Face-centered Orthorhombic Bravais lattices". I'm not sure how any vegetable like lettuce can help but in FS anything's worth trying once. :rotfl:

Jokes aside, I'm really intrigued by your enlightening post. Maybe there's a lot more can be done for contouring and elevations in FS than has up to now been investigated or attempted - beyond the resampling of Aster or typical DEM data source files (generally for larger areas at 10m or higher). Perhaps there's a definite place for it, in particular, for very specific, localized, and smaller real-world areas that would benefit from a new approach with highly detailed elevations (say, around airfields?), adding even further realism to the rendered scenery.

Oh, one more thing - Mesh just seems so much less threatening than Matrix, doesn't it? :stirthepo

Cheers, all!
ian

Last edited:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...scenery-is-no-joy-in-fsxa.435872/#post-730491

Long posts are usually better than short posts, because they include more details on the chosen subject all in one place.

I just find it very humorous to apologize to GaryGB (aka the duke of URL) about making long posts. :rotfl:

Many thanks to all those who take the time and effort to post long posts with as much information as possible, it allows others to learn a lot, rather than to learn a little. :wave:

Cheers
Gman

Thanks for the jovial references to my infamous long posts, usually containing a "plethora" of linked 'URLs' ! :laughing:

[EDITED]

FYI: My tongue-in-cheek use of 'Duke of URL' is a tribute to "Duke of Earl" in a classic song lyric:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Earl

[END_EDIT]

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...scenery-is-no-joy-in-fsxa.435872/#post-730512

Gary - you started to lose me when I read "Face-centered Orthorhombic Bravais lattices". I'm not sure how any vegetable like lettuce can help but in FS anything's worth trying once. :rotfl:

Perhaps an occasional "word salad" contributes partially-digestible "roughage" to our intellectual alimentation ? :D

Oh, one more thing - Mesh just seems so much less threatening than Matrix, doesn't it? :stirthepo

"Agent Smith: You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability..." :p

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/quotes

[Help needed though! I didn't find any reference to multi-channel sampling for elevations in the Resample INF SDK documentation [or how to interpret if it is there]. A pointer to it would be really helpful and much appreciated].

Perhaps one may utilize 16-bit or 32-bit "elevation" source data in a special newer (Geo-?) TIFF file format ?

http://www.open-terrain.org/index.php/Keywords/HeightField

http://forum.globalmapperforum.com/discussion/8977/16-bit-elevation-dtm-to-photoshop

http://globalmapper.com/helpv11/Help_MenuBarAndToolBar.html#file_menu_export_bil

https://alastaira.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/importing-dem-terrain-heightmaps-for-unity-using-gdal/

Alternatively one may use 'RAW' BIP, BIL, or BSQ files with explicit metadata parameter values for the Resample INF; as is often the case, these methods are either un-documented or under-documented in FS Resample SDK docs for creation of terrain mesh, but "worked examples" may be found here at FSDeveloper and in old posts at AVSIM forums

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx#TheResampleTool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Heightfield

http://globalmapper.com/helpv11/Help_MenuBarAndToolBar.html#file_menu_export_bil

It will certainly be interesting to see even more posted on methods for creation / modification of FS terrain incidental to this- ...and other- threads ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
...Perhaps an occasional "word salad" contributes partially-digestible "roughage" to our intellectual alimentation ?...
Duh, what? :yikes: Not only is our friend the URL of Undocumented Resource Links but also Viscount Vocabulary, the Duke of Dictionary, and the Baron of Badinage. Frankly, I stand awed and humbled!! :laughing:

Goodness - GaryGB - I don't know if my brain will explode if I have to absorb any more (1) incredible words and (2) things to learn about what's possible with Resample!! It's like being back at school again but with only half the brain cells I had 40 years ago. Keep 'em coming, sir. I'll try to keep up as best I can (which is not too well!).

Thanks for the jovial references to my infamous long posts, usually containing a "plethora" of linked 'URLs' ! :laughing:

[EDITED]

FYI: My tongue-in-cheek use of 'Duke of URL' is a tribute to "Duke of Earl" in a classic song lyric:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Earl

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

I laughed for a full minute when I first saw you post the Duke of URL reference, glad I finally had an opportunity to flash back on it.
You are awesome GaryGB... keep up your amazingly detailed posts!

And thank you for your support of the Crosshairs_Plus over the years too :).

Seasons Greetings buddy!

Gman

I am remiss in having not yet replied to Ian and Gary to say "many thanks" for their kind words. :oops:

In addition to traveling and keeping up with an over-committed personal and business schedule while convalescing from a recurrent Winter cold, I have been engrossed in researching some scenery development methods which I anticipate might prove to be a viable option for my own projects as well as others here at FSDeveloper, and thus may have inadvertently been inattentive; sorry for any such "Bad Form" on my part recently. :duck:

Hopefully my endeavors as a 'fellow student' here will yield some additional insights soon. :coffee:

Thanks again for the positive and encouraging feedback. :)

GaryGB

I am remiss in having not yet replied to Ian and Gary to say "many thanks" for their kind words. :oops:

In addition to traveling and keeping up with an over-committed personal and business schedule while convalescing from a recurrent Winter cold, I have been engrossed in researching some scenery development methods which I anticipate might prove to be a viable option for my own projects as well as others here at FSDeveloper, and thus may have inadvertently been inattentive; sorry for any such "Bad Form" on my part recently. :duck:

GaryGB

(menacingly rolling up newspaper and whacking it against my hand)

Bad GaryGB! :rotfl:

Seriously......
Keep us posted on the progress of your projects and research.

Best Regards and a hearty Go Hawks!

Gman

(menacingly rolling up newspaper and whacking it against my hand)

Bad GaryGB! :rotfl:

Seriously......
Keep us posted on the progress of your projects and research.

Best Regards and a hearty Go Hawks!

Gman

It would seem that sometimes, one just cannot over-commit oneself nearly enough ! :laughing:

< Uh-oh... now I've got the lyrics of this song echoing in my head and breaking my concentration ! :p >

GaryGB

Back