Signal lights to switch off when approaching them

Hu, that was a long title.

I love to work with MDL-Tweaker. So I decided to add a signal light which has to be switched off in a certain distance. I want so simulate the lights aside the stopbars in LOWS. In real they are switched off by the controller after the clearance to line up. Same for the lights on the ground.

My idea is that the lights should vanish when the plane is about 50 m in front of the stopar. So I used the "Distance to Reference Point" and set the values to 50 meters (minimum) and 300 meters (maximum).

But this does not work. The lights are not switched off. Could perhaps somebody give me a hint?

Kind regards
gianni

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Gianni,

The distance is measured from the reference point, are you sure that is close enough to your lights? Also how did you place the lights?

This is also something I am looking for.. to have an effect turn (off) at a ceartain distance as you approach it..Mdl tweaker only conditions the object the effect is attached to to disappear but the effect will remain.. an effect controller seems to be the way but the (distance) parameter does not work like mdl tweaker ..it seems to be from the ref point and outward only

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It is not possible to condition effects with the code I use in MDL Tweaker, so your only option to apply conditions to an effect is to use the code in the fx file. I am no export on effect files, so can't really say what kind of conditions are possible there.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
My idea is that the lights should vanish when the plane is about 50 m in front of the stopar. So I used the "Distance to Reference Point" and set the values to 50 meters (minimum) and 300 meters (maximum).
Did you use the cockpit-view when checking this? If you use the spot-mode this could indeed be a refpoint-problem as FS then uses the spotview-refpoint and not the aircraft-refpoint.

...but the effect will remain.. an effect controller seems to be the way...
I think this can be done without a controller. It may important that the lifetime of a sprite is limited so it really vanishes when the emitter stops. What kind of fx do you use? If it is a default light-fx the emitter shuts down aftere emitting the first sprite, which then exists forever (well...:D).

Pumping up this thread...

I got really stuck with this issue.

Again - in GMAX I made a model which contains seven lights (tiny boxes with a controller each applied which triggers effects). The effects are the genuine navredh-effects from FS9.

My idea is to "switch" this model into a similar one with green lights when the plane is approaching the stopbar.

With mdl-tweaker 2 I applied a condition (distance to ref-point between 20m and 1000m).

But the first mentioned model does not disappear. What is wrong - is it simply a logical error?

still confused....
gianni

Ok. I got it.

MDL-Tweaker commands do not work with effects, as far as I see. I used a LIGHT_NAV material instead and now everything is fine.

greetz

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Gianni,

That is correct. Effects are in a different section of the MDL file and they can not be conditioned.