• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Sketchup 2015-how to create a rotating Part

Country
germany
Hi, sorry for my bad english-the Reason whyx i can´t find the correct Answers here.
i create a House with Sketchup 2015. The Building us ready but now i want that the Radar screen rotate all Time. But i dont know how to build such a "Radar". Can anybody help me to find a answer.

Thans a Lot.

Gonzo

Hi,

You can not make animated parts in Sketchup.
There is a way to achieve this by making the rotating radar as a seperate animated model with FSDS, Gmax, 3DSmax or Blender and merge that model with your sketchup model in ModelconverterX.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You can also:

1. Create house with radar in Sketchup.
2. Import into ModelConverterX
3. Export as .3DS file.
4. Import into GMAX.
5. Animate radar dish.
6. Export as MDL file.

Note: this is not a simple process.

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
Country
germany
And why he use not GMax directly ???

I´m willing to teach him Gmax to use.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Some people prefer to create mesh in Sketchup, and transfer it to GMAX. Personal preference.

My Gmax skills are below standards and I can imagine it also is for Gonzo.
It is easier and faster to make a model in SU than it is in Gmax.
The less you have to do in Gmax (only animating the radar part), the easier it becomes.
I would make the rotating radar part in Gmax though because exporting a 3DS file to SU gives a lot of reworking (and texturing) to do.
Tom explained it but is not that complicated once you know how to use MCX to import, export and merge stuff.
And, Sandra, if you would be so kind as not to keep this teaching of yours private for Gonzo but put this in here (on this forum) so that others (me:)) can profit from your teachings as well, I would be much obliged because the only animated radar I managed to make in Gmax was one that consisted of a bar that swept half a circle horizontally.

Cheers,

PS: I wouldn't mind if it is in German if that would be easier, I would translate it to the best of my abilities, attest it is a truthful rendering in the target language and testify the truthfulness of the translation;).

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I have write a Gmax Tutorial for Beginners in German - in three parts. You can have it if you like.

Country
mongolia
Thanks Sandra, but ,
tutorial 3 can no longer be downloaded

Grtz
Peter