• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

sketchup euhhh edginess?

Hi,

Sorry, do not know exactly how to say this.
Just info for interested parties:
When you make a builidng in sketchup, the edges look rather sharp.
Probably most of you figured out already how to remedy this but in case you did not:
Select an edge line and then go to 'window' and then select 'soften edges'.
Make sure that in 'view' you have checked 'hidden geometry'.
Move the slidebar to the right until the line becomes dotted.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi,

Sorry, do not know exactly how to say this.
Just info for interested parties:
When you make a builidng in sketchup, the edges look rather sharp.
Probably most of you figured out already how to remedy this but in case you did not:
Select an edge line and then go to 'window' and then select 'soften edges'.
Make sure that in 'view' you have checked 'hidden geometry'.
Move the slidebar to the right until the line becomes dotted.

I knew that one!! :D One Question though, on using the soften,... does light peak through the edges? The reason I'm asking,... in the areas where my buildings is lighted inside (from the edges), speckles of light shows through (it appears that my builders did sloppy work). I thought maybe the sides weren't squared up, but they are. The speckles of light all along the edges appears in FSX, not in MCX or Sketchup. I guess I get to run through some testing,... load/unload/load... what fun :p

ohhh Roby.... you can also use the smoothing function but be warned... your model could double in triangle polys. Its very much like the arc function in Sketchup. I suggest not using the smooth edge function. Just like the wheels of a aircraft or the autos,... they aren't perfectly round (and for good reason I might add).

Hi Doug,

For testing purposes:
I made a cube and rounded the edges of the roof. Instead of 28 triangles I now have 34.
I then made a smaller cube inside and gave it a white diffuse texture and a white_LM texture.
Watched the whole caboodle at night and detected some sparkling spots that change postion on the edges of the roof when viewing it from different angles.
I guess that is what you are referring to? I cannot make a screenshot of it because it does not appear when you are not moving.
I do not have a building with rounded edges but I do have a simobject catamaran ferry boat with rounded edges made with Sketchup and when you view it from far away, it is glistening with white specks. I thought it was because of the small white lights I made on it but now I will have to look again what is causing it.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi Doug,

For testing purposes:
I made a cube and rounded the edges of the roof. Instead of 28 triangles I now have 34.
I then made a smaller cube inside and gave it a white diffuse texture and a white_LM texture.
Watched the whole caboodle at night and detected some sparkling spots that change postion on the edges of the roof when viewing it from different angles.
I guess that is what you are referring to? I cannot make a screenshot of it because it does not appear when you are not moving.
I do not have a building with rounded edges but I do have a simobject catamaran ferry boat with rounded edges made with Sketchup and when you view it from far away, it is glistening with white specks. I thought it was because of the small white lights I made on it but now I will have to look again what is causing it.

Yes thats exactly what I'm referring too... I did a few tests here also... using the soften helped... but didn't get it all a few flickers here and there. Maybe Arno has an idea, maybe within MCX, something can be done?

But a WARNING to all once you use the soften (select a edge then right click and click on "soften"). If you want to edit anywhere where that "soften line" is... make sure you either switch it back to "unsoften" or you make sure under the "view" menu and click on "Hidden Geometry". This will allow you to edit that section as if the line is unsoften.

I'm still working on a few ideas here and will notify if I come up with anything.