• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SketchUp Sketchup - ModelConverterX Ground Poly Issue

Country
philippines
Hello!

I am currently working on RPVE -Godofredo Ramos Airport or much known as Boracay Airport in the Philippines.I use Sketchup to create the Ground Poly of my project. However, when I import my Ground Poly to FSX via MCX, some textures became blurry and some textures were misaligned. I hope you could help me fix the issue

3.jpg

Textures at the taxiway edge markings are unaligned when imported to FSX. but on Sketchup, it is properly mapped,

1592843614290.png

the center line texture also became blurry on the Sim, on Sketchup, its clear.
2.jpg

FSX
skp3.jpg

Sketchup

another problem is the centerline to the gates, there is a small issue that I cannot resolve. it looks good on Sketchup but not on the sim
5.jpg

FSX

skp1.jpg

Sketchup

1.jpg

Country
southkorea
I presume you export your Sketchup files into COLLADA (.dae) files before using MCX's ground poly wizard?

The thing with Sketchup is that when you map a texture to a surface and skew (the yellow knob) the texture, then export the model to a COLLADA, Sketchup ends up creating a separate, unique texture file for just that surface. Thus, when you look at the texture folder for the COLLADA file, you end up with files named "texturename" / "texturename_2" / "texturename_3" and so on. Sometimes, even when you think you haven't skewed the image, Sketchup will still think you did, and it will do this. This may explain the misplaced texture mapping on your ground polys. I suggest taking a look at your COLLADA output.

As for the blurry textures, when Sketchup creates these "unique" textures, they are limited to a resolution of 2048px by default, not to mention that sometimes, a long, skinny line can be mapped out diagonally across a 2048 x 2048 square image. I see that your ground poly images are pretty hi-res, so I assume you're using 4096 x 4096 images for some of these textures. In such a case, when Sketchup downsamples the images to create those unique textures, you may end up with blurring.

Lastly, when Sketchup exports your model (and associated textures) to a .dae file, the texture filenames are directly associated with the material name of the texture. Make sure that you don't have any duplicate material names, or else, one file will be overwritten by another and you will end up with inappropriate textures in inappropriate places. This may be another explanation to your misplaced textures.

Hope this helps.

Country
philippines
I presume you export your Sketchup files into COLLADA (.dae) files before using MCX's ground poly wizard?

The thing with Sketchup is that when you map a texture to a surface and skew (the yellow knob) the texture, then export the model to a COLLADA, Sketchup ends up creating a separate, unique texture file for just that surface. Thus, when you look at the texture folder for the COLLADA file, you end up with files named "texturename" / "texturename_2" / "texturename_3" and so on. Sometimes, even when you think you haven't skewed the image, Sketchup will still think you did, and it will do this. This may explain the misplaced texture mapping on your ground polys. I suggest taking a look at your COLLADA output.

As for the blurry textures, when Sketchup creates these "unique" textures, they are limited to a resolution of 2048px by default, not to mention that sometimes, a long, skinny line can be mapped out diagonally across a 2048 x 2048 square image. I see that your ground poly images are pretty hi-res, so I assume you're using 4096 x 4096 images for some of these textures. In such a case, when Sketchup downsamples the images to create those unique textures, you may end up with blurring.

Lastly, when Sketchup exports your model (and associated textures) to a .dae file, the texture filenames are directly associated with the material name of the texture. Make sure that you don't have any duplicate material names, or else, one file will be overwritten by another and you will end up with inappropriate textures in inappropriate places. This may be another explanation to your misplaced textures.

Hope this helps.

Hello!

Yes, I did exported the GP as COLLADA file and used the MCX's Ground Poly wizard.

I see, it did produced files with different texture names, is there a workaround for this issue? will exporting it on a different file format work? :D

when it comes to the blurry textures, I limit myself using only 1024x1024 resolution of texture across my project. as I also plan to make the scenery compatible with FS2004.

Thanks!

Country
southkorea
Technically, you could try exporting it as a .obj file, but I personally have had terrible experience with it. In my opinion, COLLADA is by far the safest and best way, although it's not perfect.

Frustratingly, the only solution/workaround I know is to...

(1) in the COLLADA textures folder, manually delete all the extra (xxxxx_2 and so forth) textures.
(2) open the COLLADA file using MCX, then notice the parts of the model with missing textures (because you just deleted them)
(3) using that as a reference, re-map the offending parts of the original .skp model in Sketchup. Cross your fingers and hope that Sketchup doesn't do it again.

As for the resolution issue, I forgot to mention that when Sketchup makes its own "unique" files, it can produce up to 2048px, but depending on the physical size (e.g. 4 meters), it may decide to use lower resolutions, like 256 or 700px, or whatever it decides.

Country
philippines
Technically, you could try exporting it as a .obj file, but I personally have had terrible experience with it. In my opinion, COLLADA is by far the safest and best way, although it's not perfect.

Frustratingly, the only solution/workaround I know is to...

(1) in the COLLADA textures folder, manually delete all the extra (xxxxx_2 and so forth) textures.
(2) open the COLLADA file using MCX, then notice the parts of the model with missing textures (because you just deleted them)
(3) using that as a reference, re-map the offending parts of the original .skp model in Sketchup. Cross your fingers and hope that Sketchup doesn't do it again.

As for the resolution issue, I forgot to mention that when Sketchup makes its own "unique" files, it can produce up to 2048px, but depending on the physical size (e.g. 4 meters), it may decide to use lower resolutions, like 256 or 700px, or whatever it decides.

I tried to export it as OBJ file. but the X and Y axis are swapped.

I eventually fixed the blurred textures, I used an Sketchup plugin called SketchUV. I used it to triangulate the models and viola, It fixed the issue.

1592921291434.png

Now, my only problem is the improperly mapped taxiway edges, In this case, I might take your advise to remap them again and hopefully it would fix the issue

Maraming Salamat! (Thank you in our Language :D)

Country
southkorea
I've actually been looking at SketchUV myself. I'm currently working on a different, real-aviation at the moment, but when I return to my own scenery project later, I would like to check it out.

Glad to be of some help.