• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Sketchup to Blender - UV Mapping and Model Scale Issues

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Hello all,
I'm still doing the bulk of my object/building modeling in Sketchup as I am much more efficient at building simple models in it than I am with Blender, especially when it comes to buildings. I have been utilizing Blender a lot more recently for the fact that is extremely easy to generate AO maps. This has sped up my workflow quite a bit as I no longer have to dedicate a greater part of a day (or more) to hand-painting shadows in Photoshop.

However, I'm running into a few setbacks that slow me down a bit when exporting a model to Blender.

Generally, I map, texture and complete my model in Sketchup before exporting it to Blender. I always try to be super careful when mapping my textures onto the model as I know the tiling in Sketchup will usually cause issues in other 3D programs. My last few models, I have tried to keep my mappings within the single (what I assume to be, parent) texture tile, making sure not to accidentally overlap onto another tile. I have also adjusted the pins positioning to just where my target areas are on the texture sheet. I'm not sure if this really matters, however I figured doing so would at least eliminate that as a suspect. However, upon importing the model into Blender, usually a few (not all) of my mappings are still off, as if they were mapped onto another tile (see photo below). Is there anything I could have overlooked to prevent this? I don't mind repositioning those UVs in Blender as that is fairly straight forward, but that also brings me to my next issue..

blender_uvs.JPG

When exporting to Blender, the scaling of the model is almost never right. I have tried exporting to a few different formats (DAE, OBJ, ect) however I have been mostly using 3DS as it seems to play nice with Blender, for the most part. In Sketchup I use decimal inches as my unit of measurement. I have noticed that the scale in Blender will sometimes read something like 0.1 and then again, sometimes it reads 1.0 (Which I believe should be correct?). Although, in both cases usually the model is still way off scale.

My current workarounds to this issue are generating the AO in Blender and then exporting and using the original model from Sketchup (This works as long as I ensure that the UV map positioning is very close to the original) or proceeding with an export from Blender, checking the scaling against a correctly sized model in the sim and then up-scaling in MCX. Neither of which are ideal, but at least get me a usable result. However, for simplification of workflow, I would like to figure out how to properly handle this issue.

I could have sworn I saw a help post about this on the web at one point, but have been unable to dig it up, which is frustrating to say the least.

If anyone has any recommendations or could point me in the right direction it would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello Chris...

Going to SketchUp and Blender can be tricky if the measurements used are different between the 2 (Imperil to Metric). I myself, being American, want to use Imperial, but since the SDKs like Metric far better (at least play nicer with), I have gone Metric only. The scale issue you are having may have something to do with that. Also what maybe be affecting it is it may need to be reset within Blender (the scale with ALT-S).

Hopefully its as sinple as that...

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Hello Chris...

Going to SketchUp and Blender can be tricky if the measurements used are different between the 2 (Imperil to Metric). I myself, being American, want to use Imperial, but since the SDKs like Metric far better (at least play nicer with), I have gone Metric only. The scale issue you are having may have something to do with that. Also what maybe be affecting it is it may need to be reset within Blender (the scale with ALT-S).

Hopefully its as sinple as that...

Hi Doug,
I'll try verifying the units used between programs and converting to metric before exporting from Sketchup next time as well as your advice on resetting the scale.

Thanks!

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
I wanted to come back and update this post.

Converting to Metric beforehand didn't seem to make a difference. Resetting the scale only sets the scale to 1.0, but as the dimensions were still wrong, this only up-scaled the bad dimensions.

I have not found a fix to this conversion issue, but opted to go with the most straight-forward workaround I could think of. I ended up just measuring the Length, Width and Height of the model in Sketchup, then while in Object Mode in Blender, I just adjusted the Dimensions to match ("N" menu).

As I said, not really a fix, but much faster than importing it into the sim, scaling while comparing features (such as a door) with another model, importing it back into MCX and reexporting at the corrected scale.

Last edited: