• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Sloped runways

Country
france
Dear master developers.

Can i ask you the best way to do sloped runways (for P3DV5) .

1. Do i need to design the slope on Sketchup or Blender and adjust something on the flat ground poly by MCX ?

2. Do i need to do the slope on MCX ?

3. Do i need to slope everything like runway lights etc in the same way ?

Thank you very much for the advises and help.

Best regards

Country
us-newyork
I assume that at some point, someone will do a tutorial on the topic of using sloped objects. But until then, here is a partial list of stock airports with those features, that one can look at in ADE:

EGUO

LFFC, LFHU, LFKD, LFKX, LSGK, LFMB

KAVX, KCOD

VNBJ, VNFT, VNLK, VYKL

Country
southafrica
Been looking at these airports and it seems the trick is to leave the runway at default altitude, and set the Taxi point determine the Runway altitude at the specific point.

1587445122700.png

1587445261977.png

In this test you can see that I changed the Runway heights in multiple places by adding Runway & Taxi points to the Runway and changing the Height.

1587449043771.png

1587450006253.png

Last edited:
Country
ca-quebec
Is somebody figured out what are the new fields for SurfaceQuery (in TaxiwayPath and in Apron). SurfaceQuery can take 3 value (Default, None, Elevation_and_Type). The SDK say nothing about what changing this do to the sim.

I have updated an airport made some years ago to add sloped runway and it work fine after having to work with background polygons to have a correct terrain to fit with the sloped runway.

v5jM5w7.png

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
There is a small amount of information in the online P3d5 SDK documentation. First go to Scenery Overview:

Then scroll down to the entry reproduced below. Each of the new items explains what the Flatten setting is supposed to control. With a little luck, the links below should direct you to the correct page in the SDK. These items have subrecord type at or above 0x00AC.

Sloping Airports
Airports can now be specified as sloping. Sloping airports include sloped runways and taxiways that can be used by AI aircrafts. The sloping value in the airport element must be specified as true in order to make changes to altitudes of airport objects.
Other new values include:
TaxiwayPoint and TaxiwayParking
  • Alt
  • BiasY
TaxiwayPath
  • SurfaceQuery
  • Flatten
TaxiwaySign
  • Alt
  • AltitudeIsAgl
  • Pitch
  • ClampPitch
  • Bank
  • ClampBank
Apron
  • SurfaceQuery
  • Alt
  • Flatten

Country
ca-quebec
I had a look at hte SDK doc but not easy to understand the meaning. SurfaceQuery for instance is "Specifies if the taxiway should or should not return a surface type and elevation".

I tried the option NONE and its like if the runway doesnt use the altitude information in the taxiway and the runway texture is just lying on the surface polygon for terrain which could be sloped. The "type" according to my test seem to influence the behavior of some special effect like dirt from the aircraft wheel when we select Altitude_and_type. No effect if the parameter is NONE. Maybe this affect also others things like braking (for instance for ice runway). But the type of surface is defined in the Runway object and not in the taxiway description so I'm puzzled why this tag is put there.

Country
colombia
I have been experimenting with the new ADE and setting the airport as sloped in the properties you can set the alt on every node. The terrain sorrounding is the tricky part. I had to use sloped "flattens" and insert and alt for each vertex to be able to control the terrain.

The other hard part (if possible) is to be able to use the ground polys which give the opportunity to have nice detailed floors. I don't know if there's a workaround to this to have those ground complex materials or the new tools will allow Arno to modify the GPW to stick vertex to ground.

Country
ca-quebec
Apparently SurfaceQuery give two different options for the runway altitude. Il you set it to NONE, the runway is draw directly on the ground polygon. The change in angle is not very smooth with this option but I didn't try the 4 new types of flatten with "smooth" maybe they are there just for this type of case where you want to put the runway directly on the ground polygon and you want some smoothness. If you put the flag ALTITUDE_AND_TYPE, then the nodes in the taxiway control the altitude of the runway. I was successful to create runways with both methods.

In summary:
- NONE: give you a runway directly on the ground polygon but still have to find if we can make the changes in the different polygon smooth for the aircraft. None doesnt return to P3D the information to determine the sort of effect the wheel should do so no effect in this case.
- ALTITUDE_AND_TYPE : the runway follow the altitude of the taxiway path but you are responsible to ensure that the ground polygon are not interferring with the runway. This necessitate some trial and error.

Country
malaysia
I see there are few people who already made the slope runway successful. I hope someone can help me on this post (I am not sure that was the right thread where I posted the issue).

Country
france
Hello misters Nagmaal ,Carlos, Kamarad and Jay
Thanks for your great answers !
I will test every advises on my new scenery and report here what i will find .
Kind regards

Country
france
Is somebody figured out what are the new fields for SurfaceQuery (in TaxiwayPath and in Apron). SurfaceQuery can take 3 value (Default, None, Elevation_and_Type). The SDK say nothing about what changing this do to the sim.

I have updated an airport made some years ago to add sloped runway and it work fine after having to work with background polygons to have a correct terrain to fit with the sloped runway.

v5jM5w7.png

Dear Kamarad, can you show (or send me in MP) your ADE details please like your modified taxi or runway points as well as your background surrounding poly ?
Thank you very much
Best regards