• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA slow down a moving wake

Country
us-washington
hahaha! Tried to get you on Skype. not green always.

did a wake from Opa Marshall. works for static boats. wake looks too fast. Just wanted to slow it down a tad.

Country
us-illinois
Last edited:
Country
us-washington
GB-bwahahahaha good one! :) I'll look at it. I ended up using something else that fit better, but in the future this would be good to know.

I was going to use the one's from Opa Marshall, but the water looked a bit fast. Just thought I might slow that puppy down a tad.
I had a nice blue light Scott made for me long ago but lost it after my FSX fail when I switched to Win 10. But I got the blue light back when I learned how to change the color of the lights.
I then thought.... Wow! Now I know EVERYTHING............... not! HAHAHAHA.

No E-mail unless you refer to those nudes (for FSX) I sent you and you could not find back:D?

Country
us-washington
The article in the link does not say HOW to reduce particle velocity.

I see under 'Emitter' .... particle velocity.... but I see x,y,z. Which do I slow down? These are details which are left out when I am told to slow down particle velocity.
Which do I slow down? x, y, or z? and how much? also- do I increase or decrease numbers for x, or y, or z? They also show up at least twice or even more in the fx_ effect. Do I change these numbers each time I see "particle velocity"?

Decrease rate and decrease particle velocity (=lower numbers). Guess it is the z but not sure as I do not know what the effect file is like.

Country
us-washington
Makes sense though I haven't taught math in about 40 years... at that level. but then where do I make these changes. I just want the water to look like it is moving more slowly. I am using Oppa's old wake Which is an effect I believe and a bmp with it of course.

My other focus is slowing down fx_smoke_sml.fx. I want to keep that so obviously I would merely make a copy and work with the copy and change the name a bit.
I used to have a smoke that rose slower, but I lost it when I had to reinstall FSX quite some time ago. I need to know what to change specifically when I open the effect file...... where do I scroll to? What parameters do I change? How to in both of these effects would be nice to know. Thanx for the reply. Bob I'm in Ione, WA btw

Country
us-washington
in smoke I see temp rate and tempK. which or both? previous experiments --- smoke small has tempk=122 temprate= -1.00 my smoke slow OI have the same but temprate=0 which I can of course change.... perhaps down to -3 or -4?

Country
us-washington
I lower the number for tempk from 122 down- smoke seems to not raise as high but it is still the same speed. temprate -1 got -2 ok nothing happens... -3 or lower the smoke goes sideways.

Smoke: tempK neutral (does not rise nor go down) = 104. Speed: lower the (in the emitter) particle velocity.
Wake: Opa Marshal's static wake is not the way to go in FSX. I cannot give you mine because I do not have it over here, but try this one that I made by heart relying on my awesome memory:):

[Library Effect]
Lifetime=5
Version=2.00
Display Name=ship's wake
Radius=100
Priority=0

[Properties]

[Emitter.0]
Lifetime=0.00, 0.00
Delay=0.00, 0.00
Bounce=0.00
Rate=12.00, 22.00
X Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Y Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Z Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Drag=0.00, 0.00
X Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Y Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Z Particle Velocity=-43.00, -23.00
X Rotation=0.00, 0.00
Y Rotation=0.00, 0.00
Z Rotation=0.00, 0.00
X Offset=-10.00, -10.00
Y Offset=0.00, 0.00
Z Offset=-90.00, -90.00
Pitch=0.00, 0.00
Bank=0.00, 0.00
Heading=0.00, 0.00

[Particle.0]
Lifetime=4.75, 12.02
Type=19
X Scale=18.75, 20.75
Y Scale=28.75, 30.75
Z Scale=0.00, 0.00
X Scale Rate=0.10, 0.10
Y Scale Rate=0.10, 0.10
Z Scale Rate=0.00, 0.00
Drag=0.00, 0.00
Color Rate=0.10, 0.50
X Offset=0.00, 0.00
Y Offset=0.00, 0.00
Z Offset=-90.00, -90.00
Fade In=0.20, 0.20L
Fade Out=0.60, 0.60
Rotation=-20.00, 20.00
Ground Normal=1
Shade=1
Face=1, 1, 1

[ParticleAttributes.0]
Blend Mode=1
Texture=fx_1.bmp
Bounce=0.00
Color Start=180, 255, 255, 240
Color End=255, 255, 255, 0
Jitter Distance=0.03
Jitter Time=3.00
uv1=0.00, 0.50
uv2=0.50, 1.00
X Scale Goal=32.50
Y Scale Goal=32.50
Z Scale Goal=0.00
Extrude Length=0.00
Extrude Pitch Max=0.00
Extrude Heading Max=0.00

As you can see it is not an extrusion type of effect. The emitter is attached to the object (ship) and spawns the particles that make up the wake.
The direction it spawns it in is the - Z offset which means backwards and the particle velocity is also in the -Z direction.
To make it slower you have to lower this particle velocity but do not make both entries the same because otherwise you will not have a nice effect.

PS: Forgive me if the fx fiile is wrong because I have a better memory when female figures are concerned:cool::D and I have no way to check whether this one works or not at the moment.
PS2: L_Rob may have explained it as it should be mathematically but (and I am sorry to say so) the ACES guys used some other kind of mathematical logic than most of us are used to.
PS3: wish I were at my FS computer but I am counting down. Unfortunately that day, which is still too far away to express in days, should be more or less about 2 months from now. Time goes by slow when you want to get something fast but too fast when you want it the other way around.
PS4: cheers :).