• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

smooth slope over a short width

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi
I wondered if someone could tell me if its possible and if so how I can create a slope and smooth it all out around my airport.
The height of the airport is 6.41m and the water is at 0m between the airport and water there is a slope of about 15metres between the 2 heights most of the way around the airport.
some areas around are better than others but some show lumpy bits and drop almost vertically between the 2 heights any ideas?
Thanks
lumpy slope.jpg

Country
us-washington
Doesn't half bad right now, but this can be improved.

It can be done in SbuilderX, but I haven't done it there yet but extensively in ADE, which uses SBX files.

I won't describe step by step (for that you will want to connect with me on Skype (Robert Lacy.... the one in IONE,WA. - I guess there's a lot of us here, but I live in Ione, Wa.)

In ADE use the green icon for polys. Draw a triangle close to the know edge of your airport. (it seems to work a bit better if you have a flatten around your airport. Draw this triangle (one or two apexes - close to the big flatten. ) It helps if you add a number of points to your big flatten all along the edge that faces the water (in your picture). Let us say your airport alt is 40 feet.

when adding a triangle you get a window that allows you to edit individual points (very important to do this).

Now- take the two points of your new triangle and make those altitude the same as your big flatten. Make the other point altitude of your water (maybe it is 0 alt.... fine).

AFTER this is done..... go to one of the points in your big flatten (fairly close to a corner of your triangle).
left click to hilite that point then right click and choose 'copy coordinates'.

Now- choose a point on your triangle close to the big flatten and click then right click and choose 'copy to coordinates'. bingo- That point is now meshed with the point on the big flatten!!!! do this for the next point on the triangle also, but choose the next point on the big flatten to mesh with.

The third point on your triangle which is 0 alt..... leave that one alone. How big for the triangle poly? short or long... you have to just fuss with it and see what it looks like later. You can always readjust the length or size of your triangle. do all this again with a new triangle, but this time use ONE triangle point to mesh with the last, closest point on the big flatten (therefore there are now 3 points meshed together.

And btw- If any rwys, taxiways, aprons, roads etc are too close to the edge that drops down to the water.... you can easily get quick drop offs or cliffs.

As I said - on skype where we can share screens it makes a lot of sense and very easy to understand. Bob

Country
unitedkingdom
Many thanks for the advice,will have a play around with it,and see how i get on
If I get really confused I'll be in touch if thats ok
rgds
Pete

Country
us-washington
sounds good, but it really helps if we're on Skype, sharing screens. Easier, faster, learn faster. Took me a damned month and a half or so to learn photoreal. People loved to help but could not teach. Afterwards I taught something like 14 guys or so how to do photoreal in about 20 minutes.... each.

anyway, do one triangle at a time and make each one mesh up with the previous one with copy co-cords and paste co-cords. If you end up with any spikes or holes.... you missed setting a point or two to proper alt. Easy to do. Frustrating, but we love it! Let me know. bob