• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX SODE Issue Again

Country
us-northcarolina
To light the windsock it would work in P3D from v4 with a dynamic light effect.
But here for the windsock, in my opinion, a lightmap (LM) of the texture is the right choice.

Windsock red / white
Day
View attachment 76884

Night
View attachment 76885

Windsock red
Day
View attachment 76886

Night
View attachment 76887

But for this I had to rebuild the entire folder structure.
So every xml, where a windsock was already installed, must be revised and the model names adapted!

What was your problem with the LM textures?
With Photoshop or Gimp such a job can be done easily.
I don't know as usual, I thought I did it properly it kind of look like these but I did not do anything to the xml and that I am sure was the problem, I only did half the job. Thank you. I only have it so far at KASH so it will be easily replaced there and from now on if the windsock is lit at the airport (AIRNAV always says) I will use this or use the previous one if it is not lit. A further thank you so much. You have the patience of Job in the Bible with me LOL!

Country
us-northcarolina
I just installed the new illuminated windsock exactly as you sent it and the "red" windsock at KASH is beautiful. I checked day and night and it is lit up perfectly. Thank you again. I may even leave you in peace for a while. LOL!

Last edited:
Country
us-northcarolina
Is it possible to make a "Basic Flag" that is hanging down like the windsock does because of no wind for the single flag and also the dual flag and then I believe correct me if I am wrong I can add that MDL and xml code into each of the ones that I have. The textures would not change would they? Windsocks just have one dds texture. If not then what we have is STILL fantastic, thank you for all your efforts.

Country
germany
You can create such a flag (without wind) yourself with GMax or Blender if you absolutely need it.
And you have to consider...
For all different flags, as well as windsocks, also different textures are needed.

Here is a good video on how to create a flag in Blender...

Country
us-northcarolina
thank you now all I have to do is to find a program on Google that will translate the German audio into English and I am sure there IS one I just have to look. I have one that converts uTube audio into MP3 for my Christian Radio. I will give it a shot and you are right there is no animation to the still flag so if I can't figure out Blender, I can use GMAX which I understand a little. In the past I was able to lower a U.S. Flag to "Half-staff" for an honor but it lost the animation as I found out GMAX does.

Country
us-northcarolina
Well, I created the still flag and I wrote the xml code. I checked the code on line and after correcting only one error, I was really proud of myself BUT when I install it at KASH, I get a huge red X at the firehouse where the flag is supposed to be. Can you help again please. I don't know what is wrong. MDL's all work in MDCx and textures open in DXTBMP. Something obviously is wrong though. I've tried to revise things but I still just get a big Red X Thank you for taking more time. I'm learning. I got the code right at least I think so.

Attachments

• SODE_US_Flag.zip
    375.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Country
germany
I've looked at your files.

Let's start with the xml file.
You have to pay extreme attention to your spelling!!!

The xml can not be opened in MS Explorer.

The first error is at this line....
<<SimObject Name="EDP NASHUA">
The red character is too much!
That's why the xml can't be opened in MS-Explorer.
The correct spelling would be...
<SimObject Name="EDP NASHUA">

The second error is at this line...
<EnvironmentalDataProbe ClientList="KASH_AM_US_FLAG"/>
The red characters are too much!
Only the names from these lines belong here....
<SimObject Name="US_FLAG">
Therefore the line must be as follows...
<EnvironmentalDataProbe ClientList="US_FLAG"/>

The third error is at this line....
<Model SimTitle="US_FLAG_STILL">
But the corresponding entry in sim.cfg looks like this...
title=US_Flag_Still
You use once only uppercase letters and once uppercase and lowercase letters mixed.
This causes the RED X, because the SimObject model is not found.
You have to pay attention to your spelling!
The line must read as follows...
<Model SimTitle="US_Flag_Still">

Moving on to your mdl files.
The animated flag is exactly at the "intersection" of the GMax coordinate system.
In GMax the zero point.

AM_US_Flag_001.JPG

The non-animated flag is not in the "intersection".

US_FLAG_STILL_001.JPG

Since the flags are placed by SODE at the same coordinates in the simulator with their "intersection point", the consequence is that the flag jumps when the wind changes.

Country
us-northcarolina
Thank you for being a good tutor. I will make all the changes one by one as shown and try and try and remember them as I change the flags one by one at the airport. I would like them all to have a still flag when there is no wind and me through your super help will have at Nashua what no one else I know of has done in the past at their airports.

Country
us-northcarolina
I went to MDCx and opened up the still flag and after some searching I found how to move it, moved it and exported it. Now it is in the same location as the animated flag. How did it get out of position? When I opened up the DAE I didn't pay attention to its location? Learning...

Country
us-northcarolina
Now I am frustrated. Still a big red X after all the changes INCLUDING moving the Still Flag model in MDCx. I had to manually position it over the exact center because the "center" command did NOT put it exactly in the center and as you know in MDCx that is a trial and error to move things I find at least guessing what way to go how much etc. I have done that on models, flight decks etc in the past. Please fix this and tell me what was still wrong with it.

Attachments

• SODE_US_Flag.zip
    376.2 KB · Views: 4
Country
germany
The only problem with your zip was the confusion with the SimObjects.
I have sorted them once.
And the flag for calm can handle the same textures as the animated flag.
They are the same.

Attachments

• SODE_US_Flag_001.zip
    294.9 KB · Views: 4
Country
us-northcarolina
The only problem with your zip was the confusion with the SimObjects.
I have sorted them once.
And the flag for calm can handle the same textures as the animated flag.
They are the same.
Again thank you. If the flag for calm can handle the same textures as the animated flag, then I am going to "tackle" the other flags next one at a time. I will see how you sorted the SimObjects so that I do not mess the next one up. Now I am going to do something else for a while like maybe lunch, perhaps supper for you.

Country
germany
Yes, supper is already right here.

I forgot to mention that.
I moved (above in the SODE_US_Flag_001.zip) your flag for wind calm in the mdl file to the right place.
It still did not fit completely.

Country
us-northcarolina
Thank you. I don't understand why MDCx would not center it. Thanks for moving it. I have two versions of MDCx and tried them both because sometimes V1.3 just does some things I like a better way like renaming textures but the rest works so much better in V1.6

Country
us-northcarolina
So that I don't mess it up too, can you please make a still flag combination of the US Flag/POW Flag MDL and I will follow the xml exactly that is working for that and the New Hampshire Flag in the park. Thank you.

Country
us-northcarolina
What is wrong with the compination of the US Flag/POW Flag in post 30?

View attachment 77078

See here:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sode-issue-again.453495/post-890448
There is nothing wrong with it. I would like to have a "still" version hanging on the pole just like the U.S. flag is so that I can make it just like the U.S. flag and how I am going to add to the New Hampshire State Flag which is only a single flag. I still have not mastered GMAX and did the U.S. still flag in Sketchup 2016. I think that is maybe why the model will not line up properly in Model Converter X. Can you help with this double one please?

Country
germany
I had misunderstood/translated.
Sorry.

This one would have been the right answer....

You can manage a combination of flags in a lull yourself.
You have also made the single flag.

Country
us-northcarolina
Sorry.

OK I will do it in Sketchup and then be sure about its placement in MDCx (learning, see?) If I have a problem, I will be back. Tackling on my own. I guess I am just what we call "gun-shy" from everytime I do it I end up with you fixing it. Was just trying to save a step but I will give it a try. Thank you for the past and good night for tonight.
R

Country
us-northcarolina
Sorry.

OK I will do it in Sketchup and then be sure about its placement in MDCx (learning, see?) If I have a problem, I will be back. Tackling on my own. I guess I am just what we call "gun-shy" from everytime I do it I end up with you fixing it. Was just trying to save a step but I will give it a try. Thank you for the past and good night for tonight.
R