FSXA Solution for repeating texture

Good eve all!

I'm currently working on project where I've found it nesecery to use a tileing texture. What I first tried was to find a setting in 3ds max 9 how I could tile/repeat just a selected (unwraped UWV) part of a texture. With no luck unfortunatly.
Therefore I tried to create a copy of my material in 3ds, with the same texture file, but cropping it into my selected area. I then applied it to the part of my object where it was needed. Looks nice in 3ds max, but in FSX it doesnt work. It just shows the original texture, which is applied to the rest of this object.

Do anyone have any suggestions to how this may be done?

:)

I would be interested in this answer as well... I have tried to do this, and it seems that it only wants to tile a complete texture, rather than a selection form a larger texture sheet.

The only way I have been able to do this is to make the selection its own texture and thus easily tile it accordingly...

every time i try to uvw map, and select a tile amount, as soon as i select uvw unwrap, it shows the tile selection, extending correctly, but over the whole sheet, like i would see if it was a lone texture, so, it acts the same, but with a texture sheet full of other textures, it includes those, and not a tile repeat of the uvw unwrapped selection...

I'm interested as well if someone has a magic set of steps to do this... (if its possible) This WOULD be great in keeping texture calls lower using as few sheets as possible.

I had this problem ones some time ago with a other game.

My simple but timetaking solution back then was... fold the "polys" over the area in unwrap editor.
think of it like a sheet of paper that you fold left, right, left, right and so on.
Or you can break it in several parts and just put them over each over, if the the direction of the texture is important.

PS: If the area is only one poly(quad) big, splitt it up by adding edges.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

You can only tile the entire texture. I am not aware of any graphics card or graphics API that can tile a selection of a texture.

tgibson

Resource contributor
You can tile just a part of a texture, if all you need to tile is in the horizontal or vertical direction. Think about a very long one story building. You can tile the front texture horizontally, but not vertically (since it's only one story). In this case you only need a "strip" of texture that extends from the left to the right edge - the rest of the texture can contain other things.

Other than this, a separate texture is all I know...

Hope this helps,

hcornea

Resource contributor
A note with very aggressive tiling. .... You may upset MIP selection, depending on your texel density and produce objects that shimmer ... Regardless of Gfx card filter settings.

Sent from my mobile .. words substituted by iPhone at will.

Here is what I did with the 900m long piers at Oslo Gardermoen:

First, I made a 1/5 of full length pier texture by repeating 3 windows 8 times. The full size of this texture is 3724 x 665:

Then I sort of compressed this texture into my 1024 x 1024 mastertexture. I resized it to 1024 widht, but kept the x 665 height:

In gmax, I cut the 900 meter long wall into 5 polygons. Deleted four of the polygons, mapped my texture to the to the last polygon. Then arrayed the wall back to 5 polygons. Here's the result:

I discovered, that with the long pier texture, it was very important to keep the height, in order not to get artifacts, hence just resizing width...

Cheers,
:stirthepo

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Andrew,

For just repeating it a few times I don't think you would have to cut the polygon into 5 polygons. You could also just use the entire polygon and repeat your texture in horizontal direction along it.

Hi Arno,

Yes, but I found it practical with 5 sections because I had to modify the pier ends a lot. Also I use a lot of multitextures. But for smaller terminals I use a separate pic and tile it while UVW mapping. Just did that a lot, making railings for a few suspension bridges. I tile the railing for a 40 m span section, then array the section to get the long main spain, which has to be adjustable sideways, and in height :)

Cheers,
:stirthepo