• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA [Solved]Skinned mesh animation lost when exporting

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello fellow Blender modellers!

I am having a go at a very simple skinned mesh animation as a warm-up for a more complex project. The top 4 vertices of a cube rotate (I told you it was simple!).
Thanks to capt_x mini-tutorial, creating the mesh and assigning the anim is now pretty straightforward. Everything works fine in Blender.
The "skinned mesh" box is ticked in the material editor. The "skinned mesh" box is ticked in the export window. The export itself runs smoothly.
Reading the MDL in MCX (today's dev release) shows that the anim is included (correct name in the anim manager, and correct code in the ModelDef.xml reader).
But the top vertices do not move at all.

I must be missing something obvious one again. So any insight from a seasoned Blender modeller will be appreciated!

Have a nice day,

Blender 2.79b + Blender2FSX 0.94 (ii)

Attachments

• FaultySkinnedMeshModel.zip
    186.1 KB · Views: 143

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello,

Which one are you talking about? The .blend one or the MDL one?

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
I have just tested again, to no avail on both MCX and FSX. :yikes::banghead::eek:
Could you please tell me which MCX release you use?

Country
france
I use this version : 1.4 DEV 30/11/2018
It works as well with a version 1.4 of 2017

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Merci FSX3D. I have just had another look at the file. I tested the wrong version in FSX...
So now the MDL reacts as it should to the Lvar change in-game, but still no visible animation in MCX. Better than the otherway around, but I'd like to know the issue with MCX though.
Investigations on-going...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are you using the simple shader in MCX maybe? That doesn't support skin and bone animations.

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
I had no idea this could be changed! The "ForceSimpleShader" is set to "False" in the Renderer tab of Options window.
I have just deleted the whole MCX folder, redownloaded and reinstalled it. Same result.

What is puzzling is that if the "Show Bones" box is selected, the bones animate just fine. So the textured rendering is the only item that does not move as expected, all other features react the right way.

PS : The cube's top face rotates (albeit not as specified by the bone's rotation) in "Inspect Normals", "Inspect Texture Mapping" and "Inspect Bone Weight" render modes.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you assign the vertex weights in the model? Else the skin does not follow the bones.

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
As far as I know, there are two methods to link the armature to the vertex groups :
- Adding a "armature" modifier to the mesh
- "Making parents" the armature and the mesh, then "deform the armature with automatic weights"
I have created two MDL following each method. Both work in FSX but the skinned anim is not depicted in MCX.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
And in MCX in the toolbar there is an icon with a red teapot (simple or complex shader), is that one set to simple maybe?

Kekelekou

Resource contributor
Country
france
Nailed it Arno! The FSX-approved MDL deforms if the red teapot is checked. The deformation is not exactly the one in Blender, but at least I can check if the anim is exported. That's all I wanted in the first place.
Thank you to both of you for your help.

Country
france
As far as I know, there are two methods to link the armature to the vertex groups :
- Adding a "armature" modifier to the mesh
- "Making parents" the armature and the mesh, then "deform the armature with automatic weights"
I have created two MDL following each method. Both work in FSX but the skinned anim is not depicted in MCX.
Oops! It seems to me that bones animation for FSX works only with vertex group! Am I wrong?
JMC