FS2004 Sound files related to airport ICAO ?

Hi friends !
Would anyone know how to make a gauge that reproduces sounds choose a sound based on the airport where the user aircraft is actually parked ?

My requirement is this, let me explain better: I would like to make a simple panel gauge with 3 switches (A, B and C) connected to the reproduction of 3 different sounds (the user clicks on the switch A and the sound A starts, click on B and sound B starts, etc.). So far everything is simple.

However, I would like to make different sets of sounds, ie I would like to have the sound A, B and C for when the user is parked at EDDM, the sound A, B and C for when the user is parked at LEBL etc. I would therefore like to create different A-B-C sound sets, each for a different airport.

The user, once landed, should always click his three ABC keys in the cockpit but the gauge should figure out at which airport the user landed (reading the airport ICAO code) and choose which ABC set to play (EDDM A-B-C sound set, LEBL A-B-C sound set, etc).

Do you have any ideas I suggest on how I could solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions you want to give me

Regards
Alby

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
what are the sounds that are different in these airports as they are industrially similar in the sound effects of the environment i..e engine sounds are the same if the same AC type is present in all, ground vehicles can be very similar except where fossil fuel is replaced by electric ground vehicle as in areas of EGLL , the clanging and banging is the same sound effect etc . So are you looking that each of these specifically has a sound that is unique to the airport only?

Last edited:
Yes Gfxpilot, exactly.
i need specifical sound because i want use this gauge (I forgot to give this information before) for dialogues between ramp agent and pilots. So i need differente language accents for every airport (it's always english but for example english spoken from a german guy or english spoken from a spanish guy). That's why i need this different sound sets.

How is it going?

The way to go is using Doug Dawson's DSD XML Sound Gauge ready to download here. Just select the appropriate version for FS9! Doug is a very kind soul, but wouldn't be a bad idea to ask him first if you can include his gauge content in your project. :twocents::twocents::twocents:

You need a variable which gives the ICAO and I am not sure which one is available or how to use it. My money, is that those are variables embedded in the GPS code; which is by far, one of the darkest secrets in FS9 for me to understand. However, perhaps you want to read Bob McElrath's FS9GPS Module Guidebook
via this link.

If I understood correctly:
  1. Once you have DSD XML Sound gauge, you need to set it up correctly before you write the gauge code (read the help file provided by Doug in his gauge). This is important, because in this step you define your own custom L: Var names and also you specify where your sound files will be stored when your gauge ask for them.
  2. The gauge logic itself: Write in words the basic idea and outline exactly the conditions when a sound should be played and also, when it needs to be stopped. Never write a code without a solid idea in the workflow; it will prevent frustration and a lot of head aches.
  3. Layout the gauge in paper: Make a simple drawing of the appearance of the gauge; this will be handy when you design the artwork and define the mouse areas in the gauge code itself.
  4. In this stage, you are about to write the XML code of the gauge.
  5. The easy way: So, we have 3 airports (namely for example, A, B and C). Therefore, for each airport will be available 3 different sounds to be chosen. Let the user to choose in which airport is at. Then, set up the gauge logic to play the 3 sound set for the selected airport when the user demand it.
  6. The hard way: I have no clue on how to automatically tell to the gauge when the aircraft is in the proximity of a certain airport. This is actually the tricky part of the gauge. Once we figure it out, we can integrate the code written for the "easy way".
If you want, I can help you to write and most importantly, explain how to proceed in the "easy way" described in step 5. Once we have this code tested and ready, maybe our friends will come and help us to refine the gauge code in the "hard way"... :duck: :duck: :duck:

I hope this may help you.
All the best, Sergio.

Last edited:
Thank you Sergio, i came across the same solution on my other post (i posted this same thread in the "sound" and "gauge" section here on FSDeveloper). It's not easy, but this should be the way... Let me relax a few weeks (i just published the Trapani scenery), then i try to learn something new about this gauge... Thank you anyway, your suggestion was helpful.
regards

Alby

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Yes Gfxpilot, exactly.
i need specifical sound because i want use this gauge (I forgot to give this information before) for dialogues between ramp agent and pilots. So i need differente language accents for every airport (it's always english but for example english spoken from a german guy or english spoken from a spanish guy). That's why i need this different sound sets.

Right gotcha - nice idea!