• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Sound issues - some reasons and fixes

Hi all,
I've been working up another sound set for the B-24 Liberator and had also noticed with the original sound cfg for this a/c, the issue with loud, full rpm sound in outside view but with the engines at idle, as discussed in this thread

It could be temporarily defeated if the engines were revved up then taken back to idle, but as soon as you switched views, the problem was back again.
Pressing Q twice would not fix the problem and in any event, would also only be temporary anyway.

I've noticed two things so far that can cause this, in both prop and jet a/c
For prop a/c, the use of flag=4 in [Prop] sounds, as was the case with the original B-24 sound cfg will cause this problem.
I'm guessing that [prop] is an easy way change the tonal quality and volume of the sound, but not the pitch [frequency]

Flag 4 in [prop] specifies min prop pitch. which is supposed to be for constant speed variable pitch prop a/c.
Given that some sound cfg's might be largely a copy n paste from another a/c that the developer has produced, it's possible that in the case of the B-24, that what was specified in the aircraft cfg was in conflict with the sound cfg.

This conflict of cfg's brings me to the other observation.
The same problem exists in fsx with the default 747-400. It's sound set is an alias of the 737-800 and here exists another problem. The 737 works perfectly but the 747 does not.

The 747 is a 4 engine a/c but is using the sound cfg of a 2 engine a/c.
Whilst it is largely ok to do this, it does seem to also create the outside view sound problem.

For some time now I was also thinking this was just a quirk of fsx and no 4 engine a/c was going to work properly, but after I installed the B-17, I immediately noticed that it's sounds were perfect under all conditions -ah-ha!
This is what got me digging deeper looking for the differences.

Admins - sounds and their cfgs don't seem to have much reference anywhere on the net. I've discovered many tweaks and fixes so far and other oddities that I have noticed.
Perhaps a separate board for sounds would be a good thing here.

edit: My quote "....after I installed the B-17, I immediately noticed that it's sounds were perfect under all conditions...." is not quite correct, they had doubled up on some cockpit sounds [start, startup and shutdown] which caused the cockpit engines to also be at full revs when cycling views, or even starting a doubled up engine when the other was already running - very tacky!!

Last edited:
Sound cones and panning

Have made a discovery with sound cones, they will not work if the wav file is stereo, only mono works.

Also, it seems that even with outsideconevolume set to max [10000], there is still a fair amount of attenuation as you swing from the inside cone through the outside cone.
I think the reason though, is because the higher you set the volume in vparams, the greater the difference becomes, as outsideconevolume is a fixed level set by it's value independant of vparams.
I also assume that the value of 10000 = 100db [1/100th db steps]

I cannot get panning to work. Has anyone succeeded in getting this parameter to work?

I cannot get panning to work. Has anyone succeeded in getting this parameter to work?
Engine sounds in FS can be assigned to the right channel, left channel or somewhere in between.

In sound.cfg, if panning is ommited, it is defaulted to center channel within the sound field.

panning=0 sound is played center stage
panning=-10000 sound is played on left channel
panning=10000 sound is played on right channel

Any other values i.e. panning=-5000, sound is played in between left and center channel, and so on.

Hi, yep I understand the theory behind it, but I can't get it to make any difference. Hard left or hard right values still play balanced.

Also, it seems that even with outsideconevolume set to max [10000], there is still a fair amount of attenuation as you swing from the inside cone through the outside cone.
I think the reason though, is because the higher you set the volume in vparams, the greater the difference becomes, as outsideconevolume is a fixed level set by it's value independant of vparams.
Nope, vparams levels make no difference, the amount of att. remains the same and is a little too much for what I'm trying to achieve. Must be hard coded.

...Also, it seems that even with outsideconevolume set to max [10000], there is still a fair amount of attenuation as you swing from the inside cone through the outside cone.
Have discovered what does affect it.
While going mad trying to figure out why my sound cones were no longer working, i eventually realised that the one change I had made earlier while tinkering, was to move the engines sound slider to max.
At max setting, outside cone vol will be the same as inside cone!!...[bash head on desk!!]
Oh well, at least I've found a way to control the level of attenuation. :rolleyes:

Have added an edit to post 1 re: B-17 sounds.
Also, had momentarily caught myself out on another issue. :rolleyes:
There was one parameter set that I was no longer using [commented // out] but it still had a link at the end which was now in use on another parameter set.
This caused the sim to no longer load - fsx not responding - force quit.