Source of semi-custom models

I'm looking for sources of semi-custom models. I would like to be able to specificy things like number of polygons, attachment points and such. They would be used under ESP. Does anyone have any companies to check out?

thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Can you specify a little better what kind of models you are referring to? I assume you don't want to model the models yourself, as then you have best control over polygons and attachpoints of course.

Hi,

Can you specify a little better what kind of models you are referring to? I assume you don't want to model the models yourself, as then you have best control over polygons and attachpoints of course.
Mainly aircraft models. I would like to be able to say give me a model of this aircraft with this many polygons and these attachment points and these animated parts. I don't want to create the models just provide some of the specifications. And have them work in ESP.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I never heard of that, I know there are some companies who are selling finished models for ESP. These usually contain LODs with different polygons counts and also different animations. But I never heard of somebody selling a tool or product that allows you to specify this on demand and then get the result.

I never heard of that, I know there are some companies who are selling finished models for ESP. These usually contain LODs with different polygons counts and also different animations. But I never heard of somebody selling a tool or product that allows you to specify this on demand and then get the result.
No, what I meant was I provide the specification for the model and they create the model to my specifications.

In other words, he's looking for a Custom Order shop :->. I don't of any of our current partners that are providing this service, at the moment. I imagine if anyone was providing this service, it would be quite pricey for a one-off aircraft model, although if they retained rights to the visual model to sell again, you might get a small break on the price :-> Also, price would probably depend on things like with VC or without VC, just visual model or full aircraft package (visual mode, 2D panel, 3D VC panel, flight model file, sounds, gauges, etc).

One thing you might try, if you have a college nearby with a graphics art department, is check with someone in the art department & financial aid deparment and you might be able to hire a "starving student" who knows his/her way around 3DSMax and will work cheap :->

n4gix

Resource contributor
The chief problem is that the modeler has to also have extensive knowledge and practice with the tools and techniques used, as well as the praxis and pitfalls of the ESP/FSX SDKs...

Another factor to be considered is that of quality. If you want fresh, quality oats, you have to be willing to pay the farmer a fair price. On the other hand, if you can be satisfied with oats that've been through the horse already... :D

The difference in time between the two extremes can be considerable. A fairly competent modeler can knock out a crude model within two weeks. A high quality model can take an experienced team up to a full year to complete.

Right. That was why I said semi-custom rather than custom. The models I need are almost all aircraft. And they are fairly common aircraft. I don't need, or want, virtural cockpits or panels or sounds or flight models. I'm going to use them as AI aircraft. I don't need exclusive rights.

From the little searching I have done I've found that the sources generally fall in two catagories. I can find lots of sources for good models but they are not FSX/ESP models and the source does not know enough to convert them and do the attachment points and so on. The other group are FSX models but they have too many polygons and flight models and panels and all the other cool stuff FSX people want.

I was hoping to find a source or sources that already had FSX models and would be willing to do some customization.

For example say I need a C172 model. I would find some company that already has a C172 model would let me specificy some changes. Like specific lods and poly counts and specific attachment points. I was hoping that way it would not be too expensive.

I'm not recommending this company and I have no connection to them but it's a good example. http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_search.aspx?id_category_0=1&id_category_1=4

They have a lot of nice aircraft models but I found only one in FSX format.

I don't know much about the model creation process but in general how much work is involved in taking a 3dstudio model that doesn't have any FSX stuff like lods or attachment points and converting/adding the FSX stuff?

Steve

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
What Model like you?

Airliner? GA? Military?
Low-Poly?

What do you like to pay for that, if you like the
exclusive rights?