• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Specular Texture not recognized by ADE

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Glad you made a second attempt, because I was about to post that it does work on my system.

Re the ADE-GP Textures folder, this has always been generated in the compile-to folder. (See top of page 18 of the user manual.) As for the folder being empty, all I can tell you is that is unusual. When I compiled you file yesterday, the textures were copied into that folder.

Hi,
I am pretty sure that with the old dll that folder was not created, not sure if that's relating to the bug you fixed, however it looked something new to me and got my attention. :)

Reading page 18, I think it doesn't copy the textures in ADE_GP Textures because my compiling folder is my Scenery's scenery folder, which has the companion texture folder and copies them in there instead.

I think it's safe to assume I can simply delete the empty folder?

Thanks

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Yes, once the textures have been copied to the scenery-associated texture folder (or put there by ADE-GP) the ADE_GP Textures folder is of no further use to ADE_GP. It is created when needed.

@gadgets
Relating to above posts (with the bug in code not recognizing specular texture even though it was copied) is there a chance there is a similar issue for P3Dv5 or the fix was common ground in the code?

The issue I have is that from the same textures and same bgls, ADE-GP specular works perfectly in P3Dv4 but not at all in P3Dv5. Also it's not a matter of settings of P3Dv5 or specular gradient because other polygons of the same texture coming from MCX do show specular correctly also in P3Dv5. It really makes no sense to me. Can't find anything in the forum or manual.

Any ideas?
Thanks

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
There is no difference in processing between PV4 and PV5 re creation of GP .mdl files. In fact. ADE-GP is not even aware of the specific version of P3D for which it is creating .mdls. The only other possibility that occurs to me is that there is something wrong in the material template which you can examine using the GP Materials function.

That being said, I am unaware of any differences in the format of PV20 .mdl files for PV4 and PV5. If there are such differences, please advise.

Also, you reference "the same texture coming from MCX". Are you sure the texture files are identical?

If something is wrong in the material template, wouldn't the problem also exist in P3Dv4?

Regarding the same texture, the texture is one just called from a MCX bgl for another polygon and there is a call from ADE-GP bgl as well for some lines. So there is zero chance of a texture issue as it is a common texture.

That's really weird - I don't know from where to start tbh.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'm "grasping at straws" too.

The only other thing that makes any sense is that PV5 handles specular differently from PV4 or makes use of something in the material that didn't matter in PV4 (which is why a suggested confirming the adequacy of the ADE-GP material definition.)

I will experiment a bit more then, with other settings, try color specular instead of textures etc to narrow it down as much as possible and get back to you with the findings.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
As a first step, I suggest you confirm the ADE-GP material definition is identical to the one used in MCX (since the MCX version seems to work).

That's what I did even before posting here. All was identical to MCX.
I also tried different materials (also default) to no luck.
Only way that worked, it was with the specular color not texture.....

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
That makes it sound like the texture is not registering with PV5. What are the names of the base texture and specular texture files?

It's markings.dds and markings_specular.dds

All textures are recognized and copied after compilation. Not sure what's happening afterwards though.

Just to add up. I created from scratch a new GP line with new texture, material set etc. Again the same behavior. P3dv4 is OK P3dv5 doesn't work.
On your end a specular texture of a gp line works in P3dv5? If you can reproduce on your end might be easier to debug?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'm no PV5 expert. The only other thing I can suggest (since the MCX version seems to work) is to compare the _GP.bgl file generated by ADE-GP with the .bgl generated by MCX. You may wish to create a couple single GP files to make the comparison easier.

Ok I will try and do this at some point and let you know of any findings. For the moment since it's just GP-lines that I created in ADE-GP, I can live with the specular color route.

Meanwhile can you or someone else just confirm that indeed GP-lines specular textures don't work in P3Dv5, so that we confirm it's not something I just see on my end?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Proving something doesn't work generally is not easy. If something that worked in PV4 no longer works in PV5 and nothing else has changed, then it would seem LM is the proper contact

Yes I see your point but since specular textures work with MCX in P3dv5, that's why I thought it would help if someone could confirm that's not just my end with GP lines speculars not working in P3dv5.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
but since specular textures work with MCX in P3dv5,
That's why I want you to compare the two .bgls - in particular, their MAT3 sections -- to determine what is the difference.

By MAT3 I guess you mean the material settings for the two?
If yes that was the first thing I did before even posting here. GP material settings are identical to MCX settings which works also in P3Dv5.

If the comparison you are requesting is different to the one I did already let me know what to compare and I will do.