• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Speculation on P3D, Flight and the Price of Coffee

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
My better half has just acquired a 'Tassimo' machine. I am not sure how widely these are distributed world wide but it is sort of one of those coffee machines you get in offices where you put a small capsule into it and it generates a drink. Carole is very much into Expresso and this machine seems to be able to make it so think and strong that it is possible to turn the cup upside down without losing a drop. Me I stick to Instant :eek:

Last edited:
Country
germany
My better half has just acquired a 'Tassimo' machine. I am not sure how widely these are distributed world wide but it is sort of one of those coffee machines you get in offices where you put a small capsule into it and it generates a drink. Carole is very much into Expresso and this machine seems to be able to make it so think and strong that it is possible to turn the cup upside down without losing a drop. Me I stick to Instant :eek:

If I will make it into your area some day I' ll drop in for a slice of coffee - if you allow :D

Reluctantly but for reasons explained below, I add my personal comments:
As a matter of fact and speaking about taste preferences, I prefer Cuban coffee (you know, the one that you can get everywhere in Florida). It is tasty, it is cheap, you can practice your Spanish ordering it, you get a big cup and you haven't the faintest where it comes from (but probably not from Cuba).
When speaking about P3D, I still wonder why those price differences. Because a 10 USdls/month still ends up being rather very expensive.
And when speaking about FSX, I am still learning and trying to understand a lot of things and meanwhile embellishing my scenery library, and getting stuck many times. What then is the advantage of 3PD except that it is still being developed? The underwater scenery or what? I mean, I am not a very good swimmer and therefore have a lot of underwater experience, but to have that in a PC game is a bit masochistic.
As for "Flight", I was right in not commenting too much on it. Everybody makes mistakes, don't they?
And (alluding to another thread), basically, I am just interested in getting my FSX experience as real as possible with the help of nutty people that have the guts to start a thread on the taste of coffee and an admin that does not have the guts to put an end to it:confused:.

Roby

PS: When I said that I want to make FSX as much lifelike as possible, I was not entirely honest. I do not want to be affected by flying on my PC like I was affected by flying in real life e.g.:
When I was offered (when I was still young, innocent and inexperienced) a free ride once in a Cessna on condition I would not get scared or sick, I accepted the bet because otherwise I'd have to pay 200 USdls and the untrustworthy cowboy pilot started to make 60º banks to the left and to the right and I could only utter " that figures'. And then he started to make rolls and once again I could only stammer "that figures". And as I was not able to do anything else, hanging on when he went into a loop, but saying "that's NOT what I figured", he calmed down and landed softly. He did though ask me what I meant when I said that and I went:" Well, I figured I would wet my pants but I did not figure it would go down my neck!":)
PS2: I write this nonsense because I am waiting for Arno to help me out with some mesh problems and because I read that it is permitted to write nonsense in this thread (sic).
PS3: Dutch hate German coffee, Germans hate Dutch coffee, English hate American coffee, Americans hate English coffee, Spanish hate French coffee, Spanish hate German, Dutch, French, English and American coffee, Italians hate everything but Italian espresso, Chinese hate coffee and that's it, Russians only drink coffee when it is available and Irish drink... yeah, Irish coffee!!! In the end, I give the full ten points to the Irish:D.

Country
us-arkansas
My better half has just acquired a 'Tassimo' machine. I am not sure how widely these are distributed world wide but it is sort of one of those coffee machines you get in offices where you put a small capsule into it and it generates a drink.

There are some Tassimo in the US, and two similar - Keurig and Nescafe Dolce Gusto.

We have a Keurig - my son gave it to us for Christmas. Linda likes a milder brew than I do. Before we got this, I would brew a half-pot of strong coffee and put it in a thermos. Then brew a half-pot of weak coffee for her.

This actually saves us a lot of time, and is cheaper. Because we brew one cup when we want, of what we want.

Great for chocolate those three weeks a year it is cold in Dallas. We also find it very easy to make tea.

We take it with us when we go out in our camping trailer, or to visit my dad.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Ironically, this thread has lasted longer than Flight... :eek:

Dick

There are more things in life than FS so why not combine them a bit?
It is refreshing to know that not everybody is rich, knowledgeable and has an IQ of 180 as far as FS goes.
It is because it lifts your spirits to find out that you are not the only one crazy enough to spend most of your free time, spend the little money you may have saved, risk marital problems (Like my wife said once: I wish I were an airport so that you would land on me once in a while at least:)) and that sometimes neglects facing the real world problems because of your addiction to it.
And to get to know people on this forum a tiny little bit better can certainly do no harm, especially when, someone like me, who once in a while makes some comments that might seem offensive (but are not intended to) to some newcomers (I hope that the others are getting used to it in the meantime:eek:) gets some 'unheimischer" silence afterwards.
I am an addict to FS, coffee and cigarettes, SF, science in general, and all that probably as an escape from the real world which is a bit more complicated still.
And, without coffee in the morning, I will not even begin with FS or anything else for that matter. 'MS Flight' lacks caffeine, I guess.
And no, I am not complaining at all but just telling my facts.
And I bet that most of you and if they dare do some soul searching, will face this inescapable truth as well.
So I am glad that FSX (in my case) gives me this escape together with the challenge of learning more about a lot of things that come into play (programwise, computerwise, language wise, socially, geographically, technically,etc.) when dealing with FS.
Guess I am building up courage to once more dive into the complicated mess of converting geo data into FSX messh and finding excuses to postpone it till tomorrow:(.
Roby

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Well said, Roby! BTW, you might ask your better half this:

"If you were an airport, would you rather be asphalted or blacktopped?"

I suggest that you wear your running shoes before asking and be prepared to dodge any thrown objects... :rotfl:

Nota bene: Like many others here, I too am addicted to coffee and nicotine, and can't imagine starting my day without either of 'em! :D

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm just not cut out for this FS thing, I'm not addicted to coffee for one, never touched nicotine for two, and since I started making things for FS I can't say I've used the sim much for its main purpose (and yes, I know its sacrilege to say that the sim's main use is to simulate flying rather than developing...).

I'd quietly watched Flight's progress, or lack of it, and I must say I had misgivings straight away about the "game" aspects (but then I'd had that feeling about FSX with its missions and rewards etc, and that turned out to be an okay sim that sadly never quite ticked all the boxes). I don't use FSX because my hardware runs FS9 sweet as a nut, and frankly there are so many things added onto it that I've no incentive to change, especially as some of those addons are home-made, and the thought of going back and re-doing them for FSX gives me the shivers..

I do like the idea of self-shadowing and all the graphic niceties that must make the cockpit experience so much more immersive, but I can wait for those, especially since I'll need a couple of bushplanes to fly too, because there's no way in this life I will shift every FS9 thing over, and I will have to get used to flying virtually alone in FSX. Yes, I do like my AI companions, some of them have more intelligence than some real pilots I (thankfully haven't) met (in mid-air).

Being so locked into FS9, I can at least watch what's going on a bit more dispassionately (and the passions that get stirred up surprise me often enough).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'm just not cut out for this FS thing, I'm not addicted to coffee for one, never touched nicotine for two, and since I started making things for FS I can't say I've used the sim much for its main purpose (and yes, I know its sacrilege to say that the sim's main use is to simulate flying rather than developing...).

That sounds familiar. No nicotine or caffeine for me either. Maybe I should start a thread about the price of tea, since I can't do a day without tea.

And that flying vs. developing is probably true for most of us here. For me FS is just a nice platform now to learn more about 3d graphics and file formats.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
No nicotine. I refuse to fall into the clutches of yet-another amoral multinational company.

Coffee ... well, I'm not addicted; I can take or leave that. But when I leave it for too long, I get headaches, and inexplicably tired and grumpy.

Fairtrade coffee enables me to assuage my middle-class guilt, and replace coffee cartels with an equivalent coffee NGO cartel. I feel good about that.

Now that the code for Flight! will not be changing, it could be the perfect time to open it up to 3rd party developers. Look what it did for FSX!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Nice thought :) However that assumes that there is either an SDK or that MS would spend the money to have someone create one. I think my chances of winning the UK lottery millions is greatet that getting access to the innards of Flight. ;)

...and please let's not start any speculation on this subject :eek: I will leave y'all to figure out whether I actually do know the answer ;)

Country
us-arkansas
I don't want to know the answer. I just want to know what I'm doing, or rather remember what I started doing.

Sad to say my coffee usage has dropped quite a bit since my days in the US Navy, but with the price of coffee, probably a better idea.

Never took up the nicotine habit - for which I am thankful every time I visit my daughter's home or my brothers.

Flight Sim never was that interesting for me until the day I saw my first AI aircraft in FS2002, and realized I could fly in crowded skies. That led me to Project AI and all the other AI oriented sites.

Yes, like most folks here - I enjoy tinkering with the things we can change much better than actually flying most of the time. The majority of my flying these days is on-line with other FS friends.

The friends I've made around the world, the things I've learned about the world - are what keep me coming back.

Country
unitedkingdom
Like you, Reggie, I though FS was a closed system until I saw AI in FS2002 and, like you, I wandered over to ProjectAI. I could barely download anything from these FS websites I was suddenly learning about because my ancient modem took ages to download even 1MB (I was ahead of the pack around here at 14.4kbps courtesy of US Robotics (who?)). Actually, I liked AI because most of the stuff was of downloadable size! As soon as I had BA and Air France active in the setup I was hooked on the idea of travelling places and seeing different balances of airlines rather than the default ones everywhere I went.

Of course it is developer-based things such as that which gave these sims a major shot in the arm. MS was foresighted to allow that extensible structure, because I'm sure one of two addons could generate a sale of the sim itself. For instance, I fly GA quite a bit at home and out at the airport, and Carenado, whose stuff I like for FS9, have some FSX-only models that I'd love to get my hands on - and so for me Carenado keeps me glancing at FSX and thinking "well, I could always have a parallel setup, I suppose".

I think throwing away that symbiosis was probably not the best decision, because from my PoV the addon developers are the ones that keep the energy levels up when the development team have moved on to improving the core product. I was jazzed about the sim in the first place, but in this day and age if someone showed me the sim and a really nice addon plane looking stunning in an image, I'd look at the plane first and wonder what else I needed to be able to fly it... "Well, Richard, you need this simulator too, and your local airport is also available...". I'd be at it like a rat up a drainpipe.

Oh, and I do drink coffee, I just stop at midday so that I can sleep better at night (switch to tea or fruit juices/cordials often with hot water). I had an espresso in Italy one morning and my eyeballs were playing ping-pong until noon (and not even the Chinese can manage that).