• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

SplitGrid water polygon

Country
unitedkingdom
Hmm, I am running the following script:

ImportOGR|E:\Scenery Design Workshop\UK_coast_hydro_polygon 2.shp|*|*|NOREPROJ
SplitGrid|LOD09|*
MergeGrid
ExportOGR|FTYPE="POLYGON"|ESRI Shapefile|LOD9hydropoly_grid.shp|LOD9hydropoly_grid
ExportOGR|FTYPE="POLYGON"|KML|LOD9hydropoly_grid.kml|LOD9hydropoly_grid

I've been running it for an hour and not noticed any progress in a bar at all!? Th:)

Country
unitedkingdom
I did notice that for big areas the SplitGrid is sometimes slow and seems to stall. That's something I need to check, might be a bug.

Yes, you can tell SplitGrid to use other sizes than the AGN grid as well.

Am trying this...
ImportOGR|E:\Scenery Design Workshop\UK_coast_hydro_polygon 2.shp|*|*|NOREPROJ
SplitGrid|LOD09|*
MergeGrid
ExportOGR|FTYPE="POLYGON"|ESRI Shapefile|LOD9hydropoly_grid.shp|LOD9hydropoly_grid
ExportOGR|FTYPE="POLYGON"|KML|LOD9hydropoly_grid.kml|LOD9hydropoly_grid

It thinks it's running consuming 25% approx. CPU cycles, but no progress has been indicated and it's been 'running' for over an hour and 45mins now :s

Will attach source file in case you want to review.. (its 10Mb, so too large to upload here sorry)

EDIT: Must be something strange with the UK_coast_hydro_polygon 2.shp file, as the same workflow but with a much simpler test polygon works just fine (as can be seen by the kml output image), and very quickly? :s

EDIT2: Link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5ry6trfkndub9w/UK_coast.rar?dl=0) to UK_coast_hydro_polygon 2.shp

Attachments

• LOD9Hydro_kml.jpg
    LOD9Hydro_kml.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
Hi Kevin
What step are you at? Did you at least get to load the file? I'm looking specifically at the SplitGrid progress bar but I think the file loading progress is probably a function of filesize in some way. Better wait for Arno's input on that, I guess.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Ian, it is still apparently reading the shp file. I've not even got to the splitgrid progress bar yet :p

Country
us-ohio
How big is your file? You should be getting something on the progress bar by now I would think unless it's massive. I have seen instances when that's happened to me.

Country
us-ohio
Something else wrong then - I think normally that should load easily and start the progress bar quickly. Anything odd about specific records in the file? Might be worth validating again in QGis - perhaps even writing out again as a new copy to make sure it's not corrupt.

Country
unitedkingdom
Nothing odd that I know of, the file opens and is viewable in QGIS as expected. I'll try writing it out again and see...

Country
us-ohio
Probably worth letting Arno have a look then. I'm not much help. Sorry!
Still interested in finding out about my SplitGrid question though!
ian

Country
unitedkingdom
Probably worth letting Arno have a look then. I'm not much help. Sorry!
Still interested in finding out about my SplitGrid question though!
ian
Me too Ian, there's always lots to learn :) Thanks for your help anyway and sorry to kind of half hijack your thread :p

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Kevin,

If it's stuck on the ImportOGR step that's probably because you have complex polygons with many holes. These take very long to process sometimes. I guess I should have a look at optimizing the code more.

Are there many complex polygons in your data?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

That is one very complex polygon to take as input. I think you can best try to use QGIS or so to slide it into some smaller parts to start with. I recently did that for another project and QGIS can do it very fast. I should probably check if I can use the internal OGR logic in scenProc as well, since it seems faster.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Kevin,

I have combined all posts about this issue from the two threads (where they were a bit off topic), into this new thread. Let's try to work out the issue here.

Country
unitedkingdom
Sorted, I should have tried to do this in GQIS to start with I think :p
I created a LOD7 grid then clipped the landmass shp file to fit, then used that clipped area with the difference tool on the LOD9 hydropoly grid :)
Thanks for the prompts for some wider thought, and for the scenproc tool which is SOOOO useful!
Cheers K

Attachments

• SW tile clipped LOD9 hydropoly grid.jpg
    SW tile clipped LOD9 hydropoly grid.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 330