• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 Strange Cliffs

Country
germany
Hello Don,

Again thank you for this great program. It is doing exactly what I need in challenging mountaineous terrain. However, I have some strange behaviour now and really don't know, where it is coming from. The pic will speak for itself maybe:

2017-4-10_20-46-0-852.png

This is how it looks in TS itself. I marked the area of interest in the red circle. The red line is where these cliffs are. The Blend-Poly-Vertices are at the right bank of the river:

Problem.png

Where can that come from? Another strange thing is, that it wasn't there before. This area was perfectly fine but I did minor corrections in other areas. Now, no matter how often I do the "Profile Blend Outline" from scratch, I get the same result.

After triangulating I checked the elevation of the vertices and it seemed totally fine.

I checked also if other files are messing with the mesh.

Any help is much appreciated!

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
David, I'm travelling at the moment - away from my development system - and will be for most of the remainder of the month. Consequently, there's little I can do at the moment but speculate.

My first thought, since you say the cliff doesn't appear on the trianulation and that the problem suddenly appeared - is that there is some other addon at a higher priority affecting terrain elevation that wasn't active when you created the blend profile. To test this theory, disable all addon's that affect terrain elevation, see what you get and re-enable those add-ons one at a time until the issue re-appears. Or, alternately, re-create the terrain profile with your current configuration and try again.

It's also possible there's an issue with P3D I haven't anticipated.

If you are unable to resolve the issue by the end of the month, please e-mail me (don at stuff4fs dot com) your tsd and tsp files and identify the version of P3D you are using.

Don

Country
germany
Thank you for the quick reply Don,

I don't think that another addon is messing with me, since my airport is the only addon in the area. There isn't a default airport either. I even checked the scenery\World\scenery\ folder and found nothing. But I will try to deactivate FS Global and see what happens. After that I will delete the Blend Poly and start it from scratch. If I don't have success I will do as instructed...

Country
germany
Hello Don,

little status update:

I deactivated really everything that is even closely related to this area or mesh in general but the problem persisted. Then I deleted one of the two contours (blue-greenish lines) that are very close next to each other. They are there for the river bank, next to the airport terminal. In the picture above, you can see that it worked out quite well. But after I deleted the inner line, the problem was almost gone but it was still weird in some places. In the next try I kept the inner one and deleted the outer contour. And now it is ok again, no cliffs but also no nice river bank.

It is not supposed to work like this? Maybe they were too close to eachother?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
David, be aware that your Settings - Scenery/Mesh Resolution can have a dramatic effect on the way Flightsim flattens/slopes terrain - especially when the spacing of nearby vertices approaches or is less than the resolution setting.

TS simply "advises" Flightsim what elevations you specified. The rest is up t0 Flightsim.

Don

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Experiencing the same issue when terrain resolution is set to 1m.

cliffs.JPG
cliffs1.png
cliffs2.png
cliffs3.png
There are no other conflicting CVXs/mesh. Is it possible that there is somehow a conflict with the runway altitude?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I think we've gone about as far as we can by observation only.

Please confirm that this issue occurs using default P3D files only (i.e., any add-on terrain files disabled) and, if so, post/send me (don at stuff4fs dot com) the .ad4 file and the .tsd and .tsp files, so I can attempt to duplicate the issue.

Don

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Hi Don, your mention of default files prompted me to remove my photoscenery and look at the stock airport itself. The cliffs corresponded to the airport boundaries exactly and it seems I had forgotten to exclude them.
cliffs default.jpg
I forgot that the boundaries themselves determine how far the flatten for the runway will extend, even though there are no other CVXs or mesh present. After excluding that using SBuilderX and redoing the blend profile using my custom mesh, all the weird cliffs disappeared.

Thank you for your continued help nonetheless.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
That's one of the problems with Flightsim. It sometimes does exactly as it told to do ;)

Glad you've resolved the matter.

Don