sub material Slot unused

hi ,
When I tried to export a Scene from gmax I have the following error:
"at least one Sub material is unused"

:confused:

And these are the materials :

While with other gmax files that are partially tartarised everything is ok :

One of the things that I could have done that messed up everything is that attach tool , as all those stairs polygons are attached.
when attaching you got this message :

I don't really remember what option I selected when I did that as it was some time ago but it seemed to work :duck:

Considering the complexity of the scene I'd rather avoid to reapply the textures :eek:
Anybody got an idea on why gmax behaves this way :banghead: ?

jdberg

Resource contributor
Hi Andrew,

its not necessary to reapply all textures. You probably have deleted one submaterial of one of your multi-materials. Check, if there are all numbers in sequence are used 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.
The order in the menu doesn´t matter (e.g. 2, 4, 1, 3), there shouldn´t be a gap in between like (2, 4, 1)
If you find the gap, add a "dummy" submaterial (here 3) at the end of the list with the missing number and everything should be ok.

Hope that helps

Joerg

jdberg said:
Hi Andrew,

its not necessary to reapply all textures. You probably have deleted one submaterial of one of your multi-materials. Check, if there are all numbers in sequence are used 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.
The order in the menu doesn´t matter (e.g. 2, 4, 1, 3), there shouldn´t be a gap in between like (2, 4, 1)
If you find the gap, add a "dummy" submaterial (here 3) at the end of the list with the missing number and everything should be ok.

Hope that helps

Joerg
It worked . Indeed it was those attached Stairs that had the Id's messed up there where missing number 3,4,7,19,26,27 Anyway now it works .

Hi Andrew,

Hope that helps

Joerg

Thanks a alot.. !! i have been struggling with UVW Unwrapping with MULTIPLE TEXTURE sheets on different faces of cuboid.. i didnt know i was missing the sequencing order of Material IDs! Everything worked fine after fixing the gaps in Material IDs... so when i edited them to 1,2,3,4 it worked ! Otherwise the same texture was being applied to all the faces of the cuboid & as soon as i selected the other texture, & all the faces changed too into the newly applied texture without maintaining the previous one.

So basically its Modelling>>Assigning MATERIAL IDs to different faces/polygons (starting from 1)>>Adding Multi Material for two or more texture sheets>>Assigning them to corresponding Material IDs inMaterial Editor>>UVW Unwrap different faces with different texture bmps...

THANKS !!! :)

Last edited: