Successful run but no AGN

Well, sceneproc is now running without any errors, but I can't get it to produce any autogen files.

I'm trying to make polygon vegetation from a shapefile. I have verified that the shapefile is in the WGS84 datum and is using Geographic projection.

Here is my sceneproc code:

Code:
IMPORTSHP|PalustrineForestedWetland.shp|*|NOREPROJ
#
SPLITGRID|AGN
#
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;type=forest|{7ad672f7-e0d4-455b-85f9-6032d39c0855}
#
WRITEAGNFILES|FSX|E:\Projects\Hawaii\Kauai\KauaiEnhanced\Texture
And here is the Event Log:

Code:
6:55 AM	IMPORTSHP	Information	Reading SHP file PalustrineForestedWetland.shp
6:55 AM	IMPORTSHP	Information	Read 488 features from file
6:55 AM	SPLITGRID	Information	Splitting features in 0.0146484375 x 0.010986328125 grid...
7:04 AM	SPLITGRID	Information	Features divided in 868 cells
7:04 AM	CREATEAGNPOLYVEG	Information	Creating autogen polygon vegetation with filter FTYPE=POLYGON;type=forest...
7:04 AM	CREATEAGNPOLYVEG	Information	Created 0 autogen objects
7:04 AM	WRITEAGNFILES	Information	Writing AGN files to folder E:\Projects\Hawaii\Kauai\KauaiEnhanced\Texture
7:04 AM	WRITEAGNFILES	Information	Written 0 autogen files
7:04 AM	SceneryProcessor	Information	scenProc finished processing
7:04 AM	SceneryProcessor	Information	    3.86 seconds for IMPORTSHP
7:04 AM	SceneryProcessor	Information	  556.66 seconds for SPLITGRID
7:04 AM	SceneryProcessor	Information	    0.12 seconds for CREATEAGNPOLYVEG
7:04 AM	SceneryProcessor	Information	    0.03 seconds for WRITEAGNFILES
7:04 AM	SceneryProcessor	Information	  560.67 seconds total
As you can see, SplitGrid took almost ten minutes; is that normal?

Thanks,
Scott

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

The splitgrid step can take quite long, if your shapefile covers a big area.

And it seems there are no features that have an attribute type with the value forest, that's why no autogen is made. Did you check the shapefile in a GIS tool to see which attributes it has?

Ah ha, I was wondering if I needed something other than 'forest' for that entry...

Well, my SHP doesn't have any attributes since I created it from scratch. I'm a little confused about how to add attributes though. From what I gather, attributes for shapefiles usually are put in a table, and have two parts: the type of attribute (ie, color), and value for that type (ie, blue). So for sceneproc purposes, what do I need to enter for the 'Type' field for sceneproc to read my attribute?

I normally use Global Mapper for my GIS stuff but I downloaded QGIS since it appears that is the tool you use, Arno; so perhaps you could tell me how to edit the attributes in QGIS.

Thanks!
-Scott

BTW, I took a little while to reply because I was trying to download some OSM data to see how the attributes looked and compare it with my files. However, I was having trouble trying to download it in SHP format. I was trying to use OSM2GIS.com, but it doesn't seem to be emailing me the areas that I chose like it said it would; is there a better way to download SHPs from OSM data?

-Scott

OK, so I made a little progress but I'm still not getting autogen.

First of all, I realized that I could just download the .osm files using the Export function of Open Street Maps and open those in Global Mapper to view the attributes. After doing this, it appears that OSM data uses an attribute name of 'toponym' to differentiate between the feature types. So for a forested area the attribute name is 'toponym', and the attribute value is 'forest' (see below).

So I'm assuming that Sceneproc also looks for the value under the attribute name of 'toponym', and you must use that for the 'type=' field in sceneproc, correct? Or am I way off base here?

In any case, I edited all of the features in my shapefile to have an attribute with a name of 'toponym' and a value of 'PalustrineForestedWetland', which corresponds to the 'type=' entry in my sceneproc file.

I ran sceneproc and still didn't get any AGN, so I guess I'm still doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Scott,

If you want all features from a SHP file to be processed you could also use the FROMFILE attribute to select on the file. Something like this:

Code:
#
SPLITGRID|AGN
#
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON;FROMFILE=PalustrineForestedWetland.shp|{7ad672f7-e0d4-455b-85f9-6032d39c0855}
#
Or in your case where you read only one SHP file, you could also use:

Code:
#
SPLITGRID|AGN
#
CREATEAGNPOLYVEG|FTYPE=POLYGON|{7ad672f7-e0d4-455b-85f9-6032d39c0855}
#