• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Sunshine Coast Airport- YBSU

Country
australia
After much trial and error in attempting to make a scenery, I have finally got programs working and have made some progress. I will be creating Sunshine Coast Airport (YBSU) which is located in Queensland just north of Brisbane (my home city). I have started ground poly work using Tic's tutorial which is very helpful. This will be a freeware scenery (most likely, unless I become confident that this product should become payware if the quality is good enough) and will feature custom modelled buildings including large beach side apartments/hotels. Sorry about the resolution of the image, the website is giving me an error when uploading.

YBSU Preview One.jpg

Last edited:
Country
australia
I have spent a few more hours on this and learnt some new techniques. I have started lofting where it is needed but I am unsure on what to do for one section (see below)
Lofting Issue.png

The picture above I am unsure what to do for lofting, should I have two lofts with a slight curve between them connecting both of them, or is there another way I should do this?

YBSU Preview Two.png

Here is how far I have gotten with the overall ground poly, tomorrow I hope to finish the poly and some texturing and then onto the buildings.

Country
australia
I have a few more question and updates. I have now added all of the buildings and am working on properly shaping them.

IG PREVIEW.png

I had added taxi lines but deleted them as I made a mistake. However I am still unsure about some things. Firstly should each taxiway line be an independent object or should they be attached to create one object? Secondly do I really need to add lofts in the areas which are circled in red and in the image above with the different color lofts. Finally should different colored bits of the apron be different ground poly pieces? Such as a separate ground poly for dark grey and a different one for light grey.
Lofting Help.png

Country
australia
I haven't updated this project in a bit so here's somewhat of a update. I am remaking all the ground polys as I have gotten new reference images which are much higher quality and newer than Google Maps. I have learnt a lot more about 3DSmax and modelling in the past months so hopefully YBSU will be made quicker along with YPPH. here's the new ground poly in progress, images are from NearMap.
new GP.png

I have also started making a few static aircraft for the scenery. In a few hours I made this Cessna 206. It's 828 polys, is this too large?
Cessna Preview Large.png

I am still yet to texture it but I will be doing that soon.

Country
us-colorado
Firstly should each taxiway line be an independent object or should they be attached to create one object?

Personally, I'd recommend modeling them separately, but then use the attach tool to combine them into a single mesh once you have them textured and finalized. Also, I would instead create them by enabling viewport rendering on the splines (this makes it much easier to edit the shape of the markings, as you don't need to re-loft a line when you want to change its shape) and checking "generate mapping coordinates". Once you are satisfied with the overall shape, convert them to an editable poly, delete everything but the top faces, and do a select all and set them to 0 on the z axis. , and setting it to generate mapping coordinates makes texturing the lines much faster.

Secondly do I really need to add lofts in the areas which are circled in red and in the image above with the different color lofts.

I would add lofts there (or, rather, in my case, I'd use the rendered spline method as I mentioned above, but it produces the same result so I guess it doesn't matter how you do it), texture them, then use the cut tool in edit poly mode to trim off the geometry that extends beyond the edge lines. The line themselves should have their own geometry.

Finally should different colored bits of the apron be different ground poly pieces? Such as a separate ground poly for dark grey and a different one for light grey.

You could do this, however unless you have a large number of drawcalls or mesh verts on one object, I would again use the attach tool to combine them into one model, then weld mesh vertices wherever possible. The end result doesn't reduce the number of texture drawcalls, but it does reduce the vertex count slightly and I'd say in this case it's better to use as few models as possible.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]