• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Surface Painted Taxiway Direction Signs

Country
us-tennessee
Okay, I referred to the manual (Surprise) and noted

ADE_GP employs two working texture folders

Textures_Dpy contains a 24-bit version of each texture in the folder
Textures.

Place a copy of the DXT or 32-bit version of the texture in the Textures
folder and a 24-bit texture showing whatever you want to see in the editor in the Textures_Dpy
folder. (See the two versions of gp_PatternedLines or gp_Patterns for examples.) If your texture

As noted below:
I placed the stock dds texture from the scenery/texture folder as is in the C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 179 Test\Textures folder.

If you wish to use .dds textures with FSX or P3D, you may do so by making .dds versions of the
textures in the Textures folder (where required) and saving them there in addition to, or in place
of, the .bmp textures. To propagate the .dds textures to any existing airport using .bmp textures,
simply recompile the airport(s). However, you'll have to delete the previously-existing .bmp
textures from the airport's \textures subfolder by hand.

I also noted this statement
If you place a ground poly at a location that has not been flattened or that
has been flattened to other than the reference point elevation, the poly will not be
visible if/where the elevation of the ground is higher than the reference point, or it
will be "floating" if ground is lower.

Now I manged to get a flickering 22 the in my first attempt. I feel that there is one small item that is not quite right and preventing visible numbers/
Line #19 and #25 refer to a red sign. Is that maybe the issue here?
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Country
us-tennessee
I wanted to add additional info here as to the textures files I used and their location and format. I hope these are in correct format and location.

Capture.JPG

Is this a 32 bit copy and suppose to be?
Capture1.JPG

Country
us-tennessee
Also try overhead view in FS and go up a ways.

I wonder how I could find that version and also would reverting cause issues in other areas?

Capture.JPG

Country
us-tennessee
Eureka!!! I didn't have the red sign texture in my scenery texture folder. Now maybe I can add the other markers. When I zoom in closer the signs will flicker, but as I zoom out a little they don't flicker.

The corners need to be trued up a little (90 degrees) So I guess I open the AD4 file and fine tune the corners in the GP mode eh?

At ground lever it flickers really bad, in fact, at ground level they are almost completely invisible unless I zoom up in altitude. Wish I new the fix for that.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
No, you true up the rectangle shape in ADE (green squares), not in ADE-GP Editor. Then go into ADE-GP, press Reset and remap the new shape.

Country
us-tennessee
Solved the flickering.

In P3D V5.3, if I change the texture resolution setting from 30cm to 60 cm that stopped the flickers at ground level, Sweet

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Country
us-tennessee
No, you true up the rectangle shape in ADE (green squares), not in ADE-GP Editor. Then go into ADE-GP, press Reset and remap the new shape.
That's what I suspected and that worked. Thanks for all your help and patience - I think I have learned the method of the madness.
1661713195320.gif

Now on to marking the other areas of the runway.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Country
us-tennessee
I'd like to know how you can make the vertices move independently of the other three when I want to move one of the corners to make it more square.
I had clicked on one of the buttons in the editor and some how I was able to move any one of the lines (vertices) independently. As you can see, I am
attempting to "square up" around the "4". If I use select all - then one of the buttons to the left and right of the select all become active thus
I am unable to move one of the vertices (green boxes) independently of the others. In other words, how do I unlock the vertices to facilitate
independent movement on the lines?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I think you have to do it in ADE, not in the GP Editor. To get it square, I'd use a helper shape to aid you in getting the vertices in the right place. I don't think there's a more accurate way of doing it.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
To get the mapping square (not the polygon itself, that is done in ADE) you click on the leftmost button (Drag all directions). Click on one of the green vertices and it will turn red. Then move it into place.

Country
us-northcarolina
Also try overhead view in FS and go up a ways.

Not to hijack...but i have created and placed new runway numbers. I only see them when I zoom way out in overhead view. Saw you mentioned that. Can I ask...what is that telling me i missed?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Are you using P3Dv5? Others have reported problems with ground polygons, perhaps due to the fact that airports are no longer flat, a requirement for ground polygons.

Country
us-northcarolina
no...just started foolin with FSX scenery.
Edit...
BTW. I have tried both White textured GPs (White not showing!) and square GPs with a complete texture (DTX5 in all appropriate folders). Both on top of a runway and an Apron.
Seems same effect. Only shows at this altitude. Last compile it rotated the "32". Ill work on that next. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Have you tried any other choices you may have when you do an airport compile? A GP dialog box should pop up. The second radio button down fixes these things for me sometimes.

Country
us-northcarolina
Well...that did it!
Had been using second choice in the dialog box, (local elevation). Switched to the first choice, (ARP elevation) and...Success! No idea why that worked, but it did!

Many thanks! Looks great!👍