• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 T-346A

Ronald

Resource contributor
I see that you have discovered some nice detailed landing grey blueprints... Looking forward to see the main landing gears :)

Country
us-illinois
If you don’t mind me asking...Do you use subdivision smoothing for all of these small parts like the landing gear, and then optimize each part to reduce the poly count? Because they look extremely smooth, but that implies a LOT of polygons...

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Country
italy
Roland, the blueprints I have don't match actual photos, what you see is plain old eyeball mk.I and lots of pictures.

Ozzy, I don't generally use subd unless I have a particularly odd shape and can't get around it by more traditional ways. Keep in mind these are renders, the combination of a barely reflective shader and Max antialiasing, paired with hard chamfers here and there, do make that impression. In reality, it's just a bunch of cylinders ranging from 6 to 16 sides. You can see that in some places. That said, being more detailed on average, I spend a lot of time optimizing the mesh anyway. There are no stray edge loops or unnecessary vertices, if it doesn't affect the shape I want in any way, down the toilet it goes.:)

Country
us-illinois
Roland, the blueprints I have don't match actual photos, what you see is plain old eyeball mk.I and lots of pictures.

Ozzy, I don't generally use subd unless I have a particularly odd shape and can't get around it by more traditional ways. Keep in mind these are renders, the combination of a barely reflective shader and Max antialiasing, paired with hard chamfers here and there, do make that impression. In reality, it's just a bunch of cylinders ranging from 6 to 16 sides. You can see that in some places. That said, being more detailed on average, I spend a lot of time optimizing the mesh anyway. There are no stray edge loops or unnecessary vertices, if it doesn't affect the shape I want in any way, down the toilet it goes.:)

I’m just envious of how you got such smooth junctions between tubes and such...those are absolutely gorgeous. Almost like they were made in SolidWorks or something.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Country
italy
That's easy! If the two tubes have the same diameter and the same number of sides, it's just a matter of doing a 45° V cut where they meet and chamfering all the resulting edges apart from the 2 at the very apex of the V. A bit of manual editing to clean up some stray vertices, fix the edge flow and you're done.

0iS1Mr4.jpg

If the tubes have different diameters that's more complicated, the only way to make it look good is to increase the resolution of the mesh locally or use subd and hope for the best.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Country
italy
I'm the opposite. The more I can avoid TS the happier I am, it feels like it takes away so much control over what I do, especially if I need to work within fixed constraints.

And if I start to use TS indiscriminately somebody here will burn me alive!:D:D:D:D

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I believe the really good TurboSmooth modellers carefully optimise their meshes before applying the modifier. What you see above is the legacy of sims and rigs of yore when smart building was a necessity and Luca learned from some of the masters of those days. People showed their mesh more often then, too: I learned a few things from them and could do with applying their methods more often.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Country
italy
I still remember when Gerard gave me his 109 to build a pit for. Feeling half honoured half proud of myself since he didn't give away his sources so easily, I was the chosen one lol!:D:D:D I studied every inch of that mesh. It made me a better modeller. His 109 and his legacy are in every vertex I draw. I bet in some of yours too, Tom.;) Damn I miss big G.

Country
indonesia
Honestly I do your technique on post #34, but that made increasing huge amount of poly count. in addition of turbo smooth that make extreme high poly count. for 2D/3D render purpose I think very high poly count is much better, but in 3D gaming it could be worse.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Country
italy
Maryadi, the technique I was describing is meant to be used mainly on small items, where you cannot afford to do a proper chamfer, let alone using turbosmooth. It is also commonly used before applying turbosmooth to better control your mesh, but that's another story altogether. Using both TS AND that technique everywhere, as you said, is not advisable for real time modelling.

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Country
italy
Thanks Daan, but given the passion and research you put in your quality works, I very much doubt that!

Country
mexico
Hello lads

Luca:
The landing gear is a master piece! It is a "part à résistance" in the whole model. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

You and the girls, Luca; sigh... but more details -> less hair, as Bjoern and I already know!
Amen for that! LOL

Absolument merveilleux!,
Sergio.
;)

SixGhost

Resource contributor
Country
italy
Sergio, my offer to help you with mapping is still valid.:)

Meanwhile...

HFQJzV5.jpg

It's not for the production aircraft, but it will be of immense help! Got to go, I have 400 pages to study!:wave: