• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Tanspartent window texture in FSX (GMAX)

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi all!

I am currently working on some scenery for FSX. I am a bit stuck on transparent windows for cars, buildings and the tower windows. The transparency of those objects play a big part in my scenery so I need a little tutorial telling my how to create transparent textures. I use Paint Shop Pro XI and I have had a look at the wiki page about transparent textures but that tutorial is for Photoshop and I can't work out how to create the alpha channel like the author did.

Here is a screenshot of the ATC tower in Gmax. Notice that the windows are transparent with a slight tint on them

screen_1_08hDa.JPG

Here is a screenshot of the tower in the sim. The windows are the color of the pallet...

Cov_47_fr529.jpg

Below is a screenshot of the Aerosoft German Airfields vol.1 Pack showing the tower windows transparent with a slight tint on the glass.

germanairfields1langeoog_1.jpg

Please help me.

Many thanks,

Steve

Country
germany
Hi Steve,
cannot see the pictures you linked to. For me it says "Visit fs2004.com to see the pictures"

I try to answer your question without the pictures. The German Airfields Team probably used the new FSX_Materials which I also used for upgrading to FSX SP2 in my actual projects.
Take a look at the material editor in Gmax and press new
You find "FlightsimX" with FSX Gamepack installed. This gives you the chance to display the glas in the way you need it.

Jörg

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Steve,
cannot see the pictures you linked to. For me it says "Visit fs2004.com to see the pictures"

I try to answer your question without the pictures. The German Airfields Team probably used the new FSX_Materials which I also used for upgrading to FSX SP2 in my actual projects.
Take a look at the material editor in Gmax and press new
You find "FlightsimX" with FSX Gamepack installed. This gives you the chance to display the glas in the way you need it.

Jörg

Thanks for your reply. I have found the FSXMaterials option in the Materials Editor but I don't know what to do from there. Do i need to set an alpha channel on my image and what settings do I need to tick off with/without the alpha channel for the texture to display transparent

Many thanks,

Steve

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
What you need to do is open the SDK and read the section on "New Aircraft Procedures..."

While I realize that you are modeling scenery, the "recipies" in that section for various materials, including glass, apply equally to scenery objects. ;)

Country
unitedkingdom
What you need to do is open the SDK and read the section on "New Aircraft Procedures..."

While I realize that you are modeling scenery, the "recipies" in that section for various materials, including glass, apply equally to scenery objects. ;)

Thanks very much :) I will take a look at that and tell you how I get on

Country
us-ohio

Thank you so much. I was not aware of that read me being in SDK. I read and followed what it said and the end result is perfect.

Attachments

• Transparent Glass Jetway.jpg
    Transparent Glass Jetway.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 358

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Wow, that looks very nice. It is gratifying that advice given nine years ago is still useful! :teacher: