• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Taxipath type Taxi and type Path. What is the difference?

Country
australia
Just what is the difference and why are there the two types available? Do they do different things especially with AI traffic?
I once saw an airport which had taxipath type path leading from the parking spot TO the end of the runway and taxipath type taxi leading FROM the runway exits back to the parking spot. Is it for aircraft which don't do a pushback eg small single prop aircraft such as Cessna which normally do not pushback so that they park in the correct direction after a flight for a straight out taxi on the next flight? Or is there another reason?
Thanks

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There are several types beyond those two but basically a type taxi shows a surface and a type path does not. Generally paths are used over aprons where you don't want any conflict of surface. Taxipath type Parking always connect to a parking spot. For FSX and P3D there are:

• RUNWAY - used on runway center lines for traffic to taxi on a runway.
  • PARKING - connect the taxi network to a parking spot. This, like the path, does not show a surface but shows the surface of the apron or whatever below it.
  • TAXI - general tax path showing a surface and markings
  • PATH - path usually used over aprons and other surfaces where the underlying surface should show through. Still shows parkings
  • CLOSED - Used as a closed link - shows extra markings but does not actually stop AI as I recall
  • VEHICLE - specifically for airport vehicles. Aircraft won't use them. Vehicles will use them if they are available and link correctly. Vehicles will use other path types if a vehicle path is not available.
Take a look at a stock airport or two to see how they are used. As far as I know the path type has no effect and has nothing to do with the aircraft type travelling on it. There is a taxiway weight limit - not sure if that is implemented but if so it could be used to limit the size of aircraft on the taxi link. ADE doesn't offer the weight limit parameter.

Most path types can have a designator which is used by ATC. Runway links are different in that they take the runway number. This should not be changed on runway links otherwise the airport may not work properly

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

That is known as the "plumbing" system of airport design, similar to water pipes leading to the parking spot and drain pipes leading away from it. The planes take one route from runway to the parking spot, and the other route from the parking spot to the runway. This way they enter from the "back side" of the parking spot, do not push back when departing, and leave via the "front side" of the spot. This often works only when planes use one end of the runway, not the other end.

Country
australia
Thanks Jon and Tom.

It was good to read what the differences are (from Jon).

Tom's reply tells me that the use of different taxipath types WILL (should) result in aircraft returning to a parking spot in a direction which allows them to depart straight out from that parking spot and I assume that he means with AI flights which is what I am looking at personally. It's all just cosmetic I guess but it would 'look' better when an AI aircraft approaches a parking spot from the 'back' of it and stops pointing in the same direction for departure and also not doing a pushback (would look a bit odd for light aircraft :) ). The airport I looked at had taxipaths to BOTH ends of the runway but I didn't bother to set up an AI flights and watch what happened. The use of the phrase 'plumbing method' also makes it easier to understand. I 'Googled' FSX plumbing method and got quite a few hits so its a phrase which isn't new apparently eg built using a modified "plumbing" drive-thru method, so aircraft have a more realistic taxi and parking pattern. In fact there is a thread here labeled "Plumbing method help" which may have answered my question and prevented my new one if I had been aware of the phrase 'plumbing method'.
There is a tutorial I found at stuff4fs.com on drive through parking (http://www.stuff4fs.com/Tutorials/Drive-Through Parking Tutorial.pdf).

All is now good. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hello
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a another problem regarding AI aircraft taxi behaviour and it's about taxipath types and didn't want to start a new thread.

Some background. I had my water airport working perfectly and then read that the real water airport I modeled mine on has in fact TWO separate areas each servicing different airlines and so I decided to add a new dock and taxipaths linking up with the existing ones.

My problem is that AI aircraft not only do a pushback but then follow the taxipath type PATH instead of the taxipath type TAXI as the other ones I had previously created and work correctly.

Have a look at the following which shows my new dock and taxipaths and also note the aircraft overlay showing where the AI aircraft goes when taxiing from the dock to the runway.
Note that before the AI aircraft begins to taxi it is facing south (bottom of picture) but when it starts up it does a pushback and then does a 180 degree turn to face north and then proceeds to the taxipath type TAXI (blue line) instead of going forward and onto the taxipath type PATH - as the aircraft departing my others docks (see second picture showing full area including existing docks)
The problem then is that when the AI aircraft gets to the intersection of the taxipath it is on and the one for the other two parking spots it turns about 270 degrees to the south (intersection marked by a red arrow) to go to the other docks and then proceeds through those dicks back onto the taxipaths TO the runway.

SECHELT_AI_WRONG_TAXIPATH.jpg

sechelt full area.jpg

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Sometimes you just have to play with the layout until it works...

Try to make the green line to the runway the shortest path?

Country
australia
Thanks Tom,

That is exactly what I did yesterday (moving the placement of taxipaths, the angles between adjacent ones, the lengths of each especially the taxipath type PARKING for around 2 hours before giving up and looking for a possible reason I had overlooked. I will try changing the lengths to see if it makes a difference.
When I went to bed I had a 'brainwave' :idea: that I should try removing the taxipath type TAXI (the blue ones which my AI aircraft is incorrectly using) so that there was only the taxipaths which I want the aircraft to use (and what is used at the other docks) to see what happens. Maybe there is a broken link which I can't see under the colored lines/arrows displayed. I guess a few more things to try later today.

Country
us-virginia

This is more of a question for Jon. I've never have much attention to the arrows on the taxi/path/parking lines…but in jparnold's example I notice that the parking arrows are facing into the parking spot. Could that be the issue?

I have seen some community developed military bases where the flight line parking spots are situated between two parallel path lines - jet as in the real world, after landing AI aircraft travel down one path to the parking link and park - then they move forward and travel the other parallel path when they taxi to the runway.

If so, is it because they plotted one end of the parking line FROM the parking spot to the spot on the path ahead of them? (rather from the the path to the parking spot)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
AFAIK, arrow direction makes no difference to AI aircraft taxi direction. AI aircraft taxi in the direction ATC tells them to, which typically is the shortest distance to the runway (or the parking spot) without interfering with another aircraft's route (if possible). They will take a longer route (if available) when another aircraft is already using the shortest path. But ATC will use any all taxiway path before using any runway.

Some authors use the arrows as reminders to themselves on which direction they are trying to get the aircraft to follow, but I don't think it makes any difference to the AI aircraft.

Country
us-florida
Those arrows are just a graphical representation of ADE to help you understand which side of the taxiway or path is considered right or left and they maybe reversed by editing the link. They are there to help you add edge lines or taxiway lights. The arrows are not part of the XML code that is compiled into the airport BGL. In my own experience with FS9 and FSX short is king when it comes to assigning a path for either AI or the user aircraft. But if there is a conflict then short goes right out the window and any path which keeps both aircraft moving is taken.

Country
australia
Thanks guys,
Yes Jon I think had mentioned that the direction of the arrows played no part in direction of AI aircraft.

I have now SOLVED my problem of AI aircraft using the incorrect taxipath.
I firstly tried Tom's suggestion that FSX uses the taxipath closest to the runway but after repositioning my taxiways there was no improvement.
I tried removing the taxipath (type TAXI) to try and force the AI aircraft to use the other taxiway but when the AI aircraft started it just disappeared.
That got me thinking that the taxipath type PATH had a break somewhere. I checked as well as I could but couldn't find one so removed all sections of it and "redrew" it.

I am sure that there were no breaks in the taxipaths as I had checked at least twice so I am NOW wondering if the problem was caused by the 'order' I created my taxipaths.
When I first started I think that I created the taxipath types PATHS and TAXI BEFORE I created the taxipath type PARKING. Then when I REMOVED the taxipath type PATH and recreated them they then ended up being created AFTER the taxipath type PARKING.
What d you think (that the order of creating taxipaths is important)?

That fixed it.
My AI aircraft now uses the correct taxipath and 'behaves' as I want.

So I will put this one to bed.

Thanks for all your help but in the end it was something none of us had thought of.

Attachments

• SECHELT_AI_WRONG_TAXIPATH new.jpg
    SECHELT_AI_WRONG_TAXIPATH new.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Country
us-virginia
Thanks for the explanation of the arrows. Understanding which is left / right is important when drawing those taxiways that pass by, but do not enter, a parking area. You want to use a dashed line or no line …now I get it.

I may not be a noob but I sometimes have noob questions Thanks again. Glad to see this was resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The order of creation is not *supposed* to have an effect, but who knows?

Country
australia
Hopefully no one here would consider any question asked being a noob question.
I too sometimes think I might be asking such a question when it is obvious to most what the answer is. Sometimes the "penny drops" after you ask a question.
I have sometimes quickly gone back to edit my post when I realise what the answer is :banghead:

Country
us-virginia
s. Sometimes the "penny drops" after you ask a question.

LOL if I had a penny for every time the "penny dropped" when I as half way through drafting a question…well I wouldn't be rich because they are just pennies…I'd probably have enough for a cup of coffee though. :)

As I've begun to use some of the more complicated elements of ADE, I think I have noticed that some thing are dependent on the order which they were drawn…can't find an example right now.

[EDIT] BTW, I never thought jparnold's question was a noob question. If I gave that impression I apologize. I thought mine about the arrows was a bit "noobish"…well, perhaps more "inattentive"…I've been looking at this arrows for years and never thought to figure out what they were there for. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: