• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Taxiway Lights and Links

Country
us-florida
I have totally abandoned the inclusion of lights using link settings. Settings in one link affect other adjoining links and you never get what you want. It was an issue in FSX also but had a solution that mostly worked, and at least the issue didn't leave 3D objects sitting within the taxiway. There is no solution that I have found in MSFS except to use ADE's apron light vector. For long taxiways, I can add a string of lights the length of the taxiway and get lights where expected spaced at 200 feet. If I want 100 foot spacing, I can add another string on top of the first starting 100 foot from the first start point. At intersections and curves, I have to put lights in individually with short apron light vectors. It would be nice if you could add individual lights with a mouse click leaving a dot.

And speaking of links, I would hope the constant CTDs when adding and editing them is at the top of the things to fix list.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
And speaking of links, I would hope the constant CTDs when adding and editing them is at the top of the things to fix list.

I guess that is referring to ADE CTDs?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I can see the error - can you please describe what you do when this happens? Much appreciated

Country
us-florida
Usually I add one apron link, then I get the error message and a CTD when I try to add a second link. So I add a link, try another with a CTD, restart ADE, add another link, and so on.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Usually I add one apron link, then I get the error message and a CTD when I try to add a second link. So I add a link, try another with a CTD, restart ADE, add another link, and so on.

OK and this happens every time or randomly. The reason I ask is that I am not replicating it at the moment

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If New Links inherit from Last Drawn is checked in Options then try unchecking it and restarting ADE. I can get an error with that checked but not the one you are seeing but maybe.....

1618643702310.png

Country
us-florida
OK and this happens every time or randomly. The reason I ask is that I am not replicating it at the moment
While it was happening every other link, I'm now replicating it randomly. It currently seems to be associated with starting or terminating a path in the middle of an existing link. This same problem was occurring in an early alpha when there was an issue with sending the error report. I have been experiencing it ever since. I agree that unchecking "New Links Inherit from Last Drawn" makes the problem go away. Thanks for that tip.

Country
us-florida
Still having problem with the inherit option turned off when starting a new path from an existing link. These occurrences seem to be false errors since the new links are made, but with a CTD and need to restart ADE after each one.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
So to be sure this is where you create a new link based off an existing link rather than an existing taxi point. Also can you confirm that the existing link displays a light color showing that it has been picked before you do create a new link from it? Also the tooltip should show up

1618670391646.png

OK - I have managed to replicate it - not sure what is happening but there is something going wrong. I will try and find a fix

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think I may have found the bug. I will release a patch for alpha 19 shortly

I have totally abandoned the inclusion of lights using link settings. Settings in one link affect other adjoining links and you never get what you want. It was an issue in FSX also but had a solution that mostly worked, and at least the issue didn't leave 3D objects sitting within the taxiway. There is no solution that I have found in MSFS except to use ADE's apron light vector. For long taxiways, I can add a string of lights the length of the taxiway and get lights where expected spaced at 200 feet. If I want 100 foot spacing, I can add another string on top of the first starting 100 foot from the first start point. At intersections and curves, I have to put lights in individually with short apron light vectors. It would be nice if you could add individual lights with a mouse click leaving a dot.

We got off the OP track by chasing CTD; however, let's circle back to the apron lighting and the spacing. I've tried setting the spacing to 75 ft for those special cases like a small radius large turn and yet they do not render and any spacing setting other than default 200 ft.

I hope this is something that is on the to do list and not an inherent limitation of MSFS.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I hope this is something that is on the to do list and not an inherent limitation of MSFS.

Can you confirm that you are talking about Apron Edge Lights which I thin MSFS refers to as Light Rows?

Can you confirm that you are talking about Apron Edge Lights which I thin MSFS refers to as Light Rows?
Affirmative, apron edge lights. I've verified the spacing in the xml tree, it is in meters of course. I just haven't focused on it yet to confirm it's working or not.

Country
us-florida
The problem raised in the OP was about the taxiway edge lights which are part of the link settings. The problem is not actually the lights but the problem with a link inheriting the settings for edge lights and edge lines from an adjacent link as also occurred with FSX. The solution in FSX was to make sure the adjacent link was not perfectly aligned in order to change from edge lights/lines to none which does not work with FS20. For me, having these settings as a part of links is a non-starter due only to the inheritance problem, and I am only using the apron lights in ADE. The apron light issue is that there is no way to change spacing.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The problem raised in the OP was about the taxiway edge lights which are part of the link settings. The problem is not actually the lights but the problem with a link inheriting the settings for edge lights and edge lines from an adjacent link as also occurred with FSX. The solution in FSX was to make sure the adjacent link was not perfectly aligned in order to change from edge lights/lines to none which does not work with FS20. For me, having these settings as a part of links is a non-starter due only to the inheritance problem, and I am only using the apron lights in ADE. The apron light issue is that there is no way to change spacing.

Can you confirm that you are using Alpha 19. I worked on inheritance of links in that version. If you want inheritance turned off then that might be possible. I expected that editing the properties of a link changes the inheritance from that point. Some sort of inheritance is needed otherwise the user would need to set the properties for each link added.

Country
us-florida
I am using alpha 18 at the moment because you said not to use alpha 19 for important projects, but I don't think we are talking about the same inheritance, and I don't think ADE functions are the cause of my problems. I don't know whether it's caused by the compiler or the sim program, but there is a bleeding of the taxiway and edge line settings from one taxi link to another. In any case that doesn't really matter to me due to the following:

Large airports generally have a complex network of taxiways that vary in width. The use of aprons, apron links and painted lines is more suitable for these complex airports, and I think the default airports in MSFS are better done than they were in FSX even with the numerous aprons and vertexes produced by AI and the lack of correct taxiway IDs and signage. Since I am working with the default airport rather than creating from scratch, I am not drawing new taxiway/apron links except for arranging aircraft parking. The link inheritance in ADE works just fine for me. Since the taxiways in default airports are not labeled correctly, it is necessary for me to change every link's designator and also omit the edge lights at the same time. Thank you for the multiple object selection ability, and the filter for when you accidentally select something else with the links is pure brilliance.

Since the taxiways are a series of odd-shaped aprons, the apron lighting string is the best option for lighting. What I am asking is can some thought be given to making this function better? Can the light spacing be reset, and is a one mouse-click single light placement function possible?