• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Telescope mirror

Country
france
I am trying to model nice telescope mirrors...

Using a (R=100%, G=0%, B=100%) texture for the metallic texture, i get a perfect mirror effect in Blender :
2021-03-28_21h01_14.png

but the result is not so nice when rendering in MSFS :
2021-03-28_21h00_19.png

Seems similar if i de-activate the shade smooth in blender.
I am loosing this setting when converting to MSFS ?

2021-03-28_23h11_45.png

As an amateur astronomer and telescope builder, this thread inspired me to try my hand at making a telescope mirror in Blender that looked halfway decent in MSFS. I made a parabolic mirror for a Newtonian telescope, but the same techniques that I describe below would also work for a spherical mirror in a Catadioptric telescope like the one that @droide was making. I apologize for the lengthy post that follows. But hopefully some of you will enjoy it.

Making a parabolic telescope mirror​

A. Create mirror surface​

1. Enable "Add Mesh: Extra Objects" add-on (if not already enabled)​
2. Add / Mesh / Math Function / Z Math Surface​
3. Edit Z Equation = (x**2 + y**2) / (4 * <MIRROR FOCAL LENGTH>)​
4. Set X and Y subdivisions to an odd number (e.g., 17)​
5. Set X and Y size to mirror diameter​
Image1.png

B. Create mirror profile​

1. Add / Mesh / Plane​
2. Set Size to mirror radius​
3. Rotate 90 degrees in the X axis​
4. Set X Location to mirror radius / 2​
5. Set Z Location to ( mirror radius / 2 ) - mirror thickness​

Image2.png

6. Use BoolTool to intersect mirror surface and vertical plane​
7. Switch to Edit Mode using Vertex Selection​
8. Delete all vertices in the mirror surface except those on the X axis from zero to the mirror radius, inclusive​

Image3.png

9. Delete the single edge below the origin​

Image4.png

C. Create mirror object​

1. Select the resulting curve and apply a Screw modifier​
2. Set 360 degrees, no screw, 1 iteration, 32 steps, and merge vertices; leave Normals set to Smooth Shading​

Image5.png

4. Return to Object Mode and Apply the modifier​

D. Adjust normals and apply textures​

1. Create a new mirror material (e.g., Metal=1.0, Roughness=0.0) and apply to the entire object
2. Return to Edit Mode
3. Make a loop cut in the outermost ring on the top surface and slide the cut very close to the outer edge (e.g., Factor = -0.8)

Image6.png

4. Create a matte black material (e.g., Color=<0,0,0>, Roughness=1.0)​
5. Using Face Selection mode, select the narrow outer ring on the edge of the top surface​
6. Set these faces to Shade Flat and apply the matte black material​
7. Select the entire bottom surface of the object​
8. Set these faces to Shade Flat and apply the matte black material​
9. Select the sides of the object​
10. Apply the matte black material, but leave the faces set to Shade Smooth​

Image7.png

E. Export and use the mirror in MSFS​

1. Return to Object Mode​
2. Export the mirror object using Blender2MSFS add-on​

Image8.png

The mirror effect is far from perfect in MSFS, but still does a reasonably good job.

Image9.jpg

For a Catadioptric mirror, use a spherical curve for the Z Equation, and shift the vertical plane further out on the X axis so that you leave a hole in the center of the mirror. Otherwise, the rest of the steps should be roughly the same. I am sure that there is an even better way to create an optically correct telescope mirror in MSFS. But this seemed like a good approach to me. In any event, it was a useful learning experience and a lot of fun.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
Perfect, good work I see that your mirror works as it should in the game, the reflections are not perfect in msfs but it is specific to the software

What I would have liked was a mathematical Curve tool that I could use to directly make a 2D parabolic curve. The only tool I found for this job was the Math Function mesh object, which required me to then delete most of the mesh, leaving only the desired 2D parabolic curve. There is a rich selection of curve tools in Blender, but none that I could find that would allow me to enter a specific math function.

Country
france
Thank you all for your precious help.
I will try to apply the recommended reciepy, but would like to reuse my existing models at first.

I attached my model for those who requested to take a look at the mesh

Attachments

• SCTm.zip
    175.6 KB · Views: 99
Country
france
As an amateur astronomer and telescope builder, this thread inspired me to try my hand at making a telescope mirror in Blender that looked halfway decent in MSFS. I made a parabolic mirror for a Newtonian telescope, but the same techniques that I describe below would also work for a spherical mirror in a Catadioptric telescope like the one that @droide was making. I apologize for the lengthy post that follows. But hopefully some of you will enjoy it.

Making a parabolic telescope mirror​

A. Create mirror surface​

1. Enable "Add Mesh: Extra Objects" add-on (if not already enabled)​
2. Add / Mesh / Math Function / Z Math Surface​
3. Edit Z Equation = (x**2 + y**2) / (4 * <MIRROR FOCAL LENGTH>)​
4. Set X and Y subdivisions to an odd number (e.g., 17)​
5. Set X and Y size to mirror diameter​
View attachment 71510

B. Create mirror profile​

1. Add / Mesh / Plane​
2. Set Size to mirror radius​
3. Rotate 90 degrees in the X axis​
4. Set X Location to mirror radius / 2​
5. Set Z Location to ( mirror radius / 2 ) - mirror thickness​

View attachment 71511
6. Use BoolTool to intersect mirror surface and vertical plane​
7. Switch to Edit Mode using Vertex Selection​
8. Delete all vertices in the mirror surface except those on the X axis from zero to the mirror radius, inclusive​

View attachment 71512

9. Delete the single edge below the origin​

View attachment 71513

C. Create mirror object​

1. Select the resulting curve and apply a Screw modifier​
2. Set 360 degrees, no screw, 1 iteration, 32 steps, and merge vertices; leave Normals set to Smooth Shading​

View attachment 71514

4. Return to Object Mode and Apply the modifier​

D. Adjust normals and apply textures​

1. Create a new mirror material (e.g., Metal=1.0, Roughness=0.0) and apply to the entire object
2. Return to Edit Mode
3. Make a loop cut in the outermost ring on the top surface and slide the cut very close to the outer edge (e.g., Factor = -0.8)

View attachment 71515

4. Create a matte black material (e.g., Color=<0,0,0>, Roughness=1.0)​
5. Using Face Selection mode, select the narrow outer ring on the edge of the top surface​
6. Set these faces to Shade Flat and apply the matte black material​
7. Select the entire bottom surface of the object​
8. Set these faces to Shade Flat and apply the matte black material​
9. Select the sides of the object​
10. Apply the matte black material, but leave the faces set to Shade Smooth​

View attachment 71516

E. Export and use the mirror in MSFS​

1. Return to Object Mode​
2. Export the mirror object using Blender2MSFS add-on​

View attachment 71517

The mirror effect is far from perfect in MSFS, but still does a reasonably good job.

View attachment 71518

For a Catadioptric mirror, use a spherical curve for the Z Equation, and shift the vertical plane further out on the X axis so that you leave a hole in the center of the mirror. Otherwise, the rest of the steps should be roughly the same. I am sure that there is an even better way to create an optically correct telescope mirror in MSFS. But this seemed like a good approach to me. In any event, it was a useful learning experience and a lot of fun.

Great, another astronomer !

If you are in the process to modeling some famous telescopes for MSFS, tell me.
I started the process to convert my series of Xplane scenery for MSFS, and this would be a pitty we do the same work.

You can find my original work for Xplane here.

in total there are 7 observatories : all Chilean telescopes, all Hawaian and Canarian.

Converting to MSFS could take me monthes

No, I am not modeling any famous observatories. I was just having fun with the challenge of creating a 3D model of a telescope mirror in Blender. I did this years ago in Autodesk Inventor, but I am still just learning my way around Blender. So it was a useful learning exercise. :)

@droide, I looked at your model, and I think that the mesh is going to make your life difficult. It is not symmetrical and has lots of surface anomalies. Trying to clean up that mesh will take a lot more work than simply recreating the object from scratch.

What are the specs of the mirror that you are trying to replicate? From the model name, I assume it is a Schmidt-Cassegrain. The diameter appears to be roughly 9.6 meters, with a central aperture of roughly 2.8 meters in diameter. I can't guess at the focal length, since the model appears to be completely flat.