• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Terrain Sculptor - Beta Version 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just released a new beta version of Terrain Sculptor.

If you already have an earlier version, the new version should be automatically downloaded the next time you start that earlier version. Alternately, you can download the new version by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page at http://stuff4fs.com and click the Development Release menu item.

The new version:
  • allows imported data to be appended to existing data
  • defaults to elevation of ground when Sculpt nodes are placed using a/c position
  • allows existing flatten type to be changed
  • uses default file extensions when selecting files for loading/import.
and contains an updated user manual.

Don

Country
germany
This sounds just great, thanks Don. I'll try it later today.

EDIT:
Haven't tried all functions yet. However, default elevation and changing flatten type works.

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Don, thank you for this tool !
I started from scratch and creating the flatten poly and sculpture nodes was no problem. Then I tried to create the blend poly, I could add the 1st node but not the next node. With the 1st node highlighted, I select "Add new blend node at cursor" but no node is created. I also tried the hot cursor but that does not solve the issue. I would appreciate your advice, attached my TSD file.

Attachments

• Terrain Sculptor_UKML.zip
    2 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks for reporting this, Henk. I am able to duplicate. (I must have done something "bad" in the last release.)

I'll fix the issue and re-release ASAP - hopefully later today.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just released a new beta version of Terrain Sculptor.

If you already have an earlier version, the new version should be automatically downloaded the next time you start that earlier version. Alternately, you can download the new version by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page at http://stuff4fs.com and click the Development Release menu item.

The new version fixes an incomplete change in Beta Version 14 that prevented blend nodes from being added

Don

Country
netherlands
Thanks Don! It works now up to the point where I wanted to export to FSX BGL, I got this error: "shp2vec.exe" is not in its usual location. Please locate it.
Then I pointed it towards my FSX Terrain SDK - shp2vec.exe but then I got a 2nd error: shp2vec.bgl: Error: unable to open input file!
As a workaround I exported it to SBuilder SBX.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Henk, I've just added a blend poly to the file you sent with your initial report and compiled it without error - with both the FSX and P3D versions of shp2vec.exe. While the first message ("shp2vec.exe" is not in its usual location. Please locate it.) was issued by Terrain Sculptor, the second was issued by shp2vec itself, so I'm at a loss to confirm what's going on.

My only thought is that it's a UAC problem. Have you tried running as administrator? If not, give that a try. Otherwise, please send me the file you are trying to compile, (both the .tsd and the tsp) as well as the shp2vec.exe you are using.

TS looks for shp2vec in the following standard places in the following order:
  • Path_SDK_PV2 & "\Environment SDK\shp2vec.exe"
  • Path_SDK_PV1 & "\Environment Kit\shp2vec.exe"
  • Path_SDK_FSX & "\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\shp2vec.exe"
Please check that one of these addresses is correct for you and that the system registry contains the correct address for your SDK(s).

What I did discover is that TS does not save the path to shp2vec once its been found. So, you'll have to re-enter it every time. This oversight will be fixed in the next beta release. But, that's secondary to your current problem.

My only thought is that it's a UAC problem. Have you tried running as administrator? If not, give that a try. Otherwise, please send me the file you are trying to compile, (both the .tsd and the tsp) as well as the shp2vec.exe you are using.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Immediately after pressing the send button, I had another idea and am now able to duplicate your problem. It is that when AIFP "breaks" to allow you to locate shp2vec in a non-standard location, it "forgets" the path to the file to be compiled.

Beta release 16 on its way momentarily.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Beta 17 just posted to http://stuff4fs.com. New users or TS can obtain it by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page and click the Development Release menu item. Current users of TS will be notified the update is available the next time they run TS.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Beta 20 just posted to http://stuff4fs.com. New users or TS can obtain it by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page and click the Development Release menu item. Current users of TS will be notified the update is available the next time they run TS.
It includes a couple of fixes related to deleted items.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Beta 21 just posted to http://stuff4fs.com. New users or TS can obtain it by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page and click the Development Release menu item. Current users of TS will be notified the update is available the next time they run TS.

Beta 20 and predecessors did not record the assigned guids in the triangulated data. Beta 21 fixes this.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Beta 22 just posted to http://stuff4fs.com. New users can obtain it by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page and click the Development Release menu item. Current users of TS will be notified the update is available the next time they run TS. Providing my stalwart testers don't find any further issues, I will release generally in the near future. This new beta corrects the reported difficulties with configuring terrain types and deleting the blend poly.

Since I was updating my CYYJ - which contains a very complex flatten profile originally created with sBuilder, I decided to rework the flatten using Terrain Sculptor. In doing so, I found a few other minor technical issues and decided the user interface was missing a few handy features. This release contains fixes for those minor issues and includes the ability to:
  • re-center the display showing all data in a single operation - which is now done automatically before triangulation
  • convert multiple blend and/or flatten nodes to sculpts - very hand after an import
  • configure terrain type for multiple nodes in a single step
  • adjust and save changes to individual profile nodes
  • re-triangulate without clearing and reloading the profile
An updated user manual is included.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Sorry folks. I just found another potential exception if you attempted to save the data immediately after deleting all of a certain category of nodes (e.g., blend nodes or a flatten.)

Beta 24 just posted to http://stuff4fs.com. New users can obtain it by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page and click the Development Release menu item. Current users of TS will be notified the update is available the next time they run TS.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
One final "frill" - something I've been trying to add for some time and only just figured out how to do it.

If your "sculpted terrain" contains severe slopes (whether created with TS, sBuilder or otherwise) you may find some bumps and hollows not in your data when the data is rendered - at least with FS9. For some time, TS has been able to identify slopes defined by the user and list the lat/lons involved. But it can only now go backwards from the lat/lons to the specific nodes on the main display.

Beta 25 just posted to http://stuff4fs.com. New users can obtain it by navigating to the Applications/Terrain Sculptor page and click the Development Release menu item. Current users of TS will be notified the update is available the next time they run TS.

Unless you guys find something else, this will become the first general release within the next few days.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.