• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Terrain Sculptor Communicator Threw an Exception

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Thanks for another excellent software tool that I stumbled upon while exploring an alternative to the latest build of SBX that will only process photo ground poly's in W10. Perhaps this is another W10 issue, it seems like it might be.
With both the stable and development versions I get the above message, details pasted at the bottom, when I open TSC and when I click the node drop down. TSC will navigate to and apparently load .bgl's and .sbx files because if I terminate, it offers to save work, but nothing shows in the display. I use P3D V3.3.5 and I downloaded the Net Framework installer which says 4.5 is already installed, the registry editor shows versions 2 through 4.0 installed. I've also created an exception for TSC in the firewall.
The software looks really cool, I'd like to try it out. Any idea what I'm missing?

************** Exception Text **************
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Terrain_Sculptor.Communications' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, Version=10.0.61259.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, Version=10.0.61259.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at Terrain_Sculptor.Communications..cctor()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Terrain_Sculptor.MainPanel.mnuNodes_Opening(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.OnDropDownShow(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnDropDownShow(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.ShowDropDownInternal()
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDownItem.ShowDropDown(Boolean mousePush)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnMouseButtonStateChange(MouseEventArgs e, Boolean isMouseDown)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8745 (WinRel.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Terrain Sculptor
Assembly Version: 1.2.0.1
Win32 Version: 1.2.0.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/FSX%20Tools/Terrain%20Sculptor%20Stable/Terrain%20Sculptor.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8745 (WinRel.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.8763 built by: WinRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The message is reporting that Windows is unable to find the simconnect.dll. It appears that P3D saves a different .dll in a different place from FSX. So, if you've never installed FSX on your system, the required .dll will not be available.

It would seem if I was looking for something to do tomorrow, I've found it.

I'll post when I have a solution.

Don

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Thanks Don, I almost reported that Acceleration was unregistered but fully installed from a previous OS - actually W10 "update" ended up being overly aggressive, forced a complete install and deleted the over 150 GB of my former program files folder; but I didn't think the information could be of any use. So I could just copy the .dll to the same level in my P3D folder? I guess I could try it and report, huh.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If that works, fine. But, if not, try placing the .dll in C:\Windows\assembly. That's where windows is programmed to look for it.

That's only an interim solution, though, since if you haven't previously installed FSX, you won't have that file to put anywhere. And, the MS EULA doesn't permit me to distribute it.

Don

EDIT: The destination for the file should be the folder "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.FlightSimulator.Simconnect\10.0.61259.0__31bf3856ad364e35". That's a double underscore.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Bummer, apparently. Ya no FSX was fully registered, purchased DVD's, but W10 prevents the disk authentication, so I can't even re-install and the only thing it left me in Windows.old is the Users directory. This was bound to happen, considering and I'm kind of surprised I'm the first. It's mostly because of W10 or that little FSX icon would still be in my task bar.
Ok so FSpassengers to the rescue. Apparently they aren't worried about MS coming after them, it's even got the original "Microsoft Flight Simulator 10" EULA and it works. I'd say that is a suitable work around for anyone that doesn't have FSX installed.

http://www.fspassengers.com/?action=simconnect

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Upon a little further investigation, I've discovered you shouldn't attempt manual installation of these .dlls. There's an installer for these .dlls in the various SDKs. So, find that version (62159) in one of your old SDKs and give the installer a whirl. The version pointed to by FSpassengers is 61242 - also an intermediate version. I don't know whether or not it will "drive" TS, because TS is looking for version 61259. But, if you don't want to wait for the next release (see below) by all means give it a try.

However, I've just noticed that version 62159 is not a "standard" (if there's any such thing in Flightsim). In the next day or so, I will re-release a version of Terrain Sculptor that uses the old, reliable FSX-RTM version, ( i.e. 60905), same as ADE. It seems that the FSX-RTM version is available in all the SDKs - including the one for P3Dv3. So, any user who hasn't had FSX installed previously will be able to use TS by installing 60905 from the P3D SDK.

Don

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I totally appreciate your work and am glad to be able to help you fine tune it Don, looking forward to any changes; but as it stands, not only does TS fully integrate with P3D through FSUIPC, I mean the user plane/target cross hairs are the first thing to appear - but the earlier version of SBuilderX (313) that still compiles polygons in W10 - also now connects to P3D with the target cross. I was having a heck of a time trying to outline an island without being able to just slew around it's perimeter in sim, so ya, win win.

I guess I spoke too soon. While TS opens and imports fine, it seems that any change that reorients the display, removes it and it does not refresh, the window remains blank, even after quitting and restarting. Presumably every restart of P3D resets this condition and it is due to the .dll version mismatch. I do have many of the SDK's from P3D V2 down to FSX, so replacing the .dll is a possibility but I'll wait to see what "develops" here, ty.

Last edited: