• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Texture Flicker

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi There,

Small problem, i am not sure why it is doing it or how to fix it?

You can see the textures seem to be flickering on the signs. All other textures are ok? Any ideas?

1522855727589.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello....

Without seeing the model along with the textures, it's hard to know exactly what it causing the flicking... one thing it could be is multiple polygons laying side by side of each other; conflicting or fighting with each other. Also, could be the textures themselves, such as the format used for the textures. How does the model appear within SketchUp?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You have superimposed the textures of the sign images over the textures of the building. They are a very small distance apart and as your view distance increases, the difference between the distance to the sign and the distance to the building diminishes to the point that the fixed decimal calculations superimpose each on the occasion of "rounding up." 2.5 is further away than 2.499999, but 2.49999995 rounds up to 2.5 so the render engine tries to display both, while 2.4999994 will render as 2.499999, allowing it to display in front of something 2.5 away.

Country
unitedkingdom
You have superimposed the textures of the sign images over the textures of the building. They are a very small distance apart and as your view distance increases, the difference between the distance to the sign and the distance to the building diminishes to the point that the fixed decimal calculations superimpose each on the occasion of "rounding up." 2.5 is further away than 2.499999, but 2.49999995 rounds up to 2.5 so the render engine tries to display both, while 2.4999994 will render as 2.499999, allowing it to display in front of something 2.5 away.

OK cool, so is it just a case of moving the texture forward away from the object? Could you do this in MCX via the Z bias?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Z bias adjustment is designed to compensate for this but may undesirable effects. You could actually place the signs on rectangles as in R/L to solve it and if you are able to create textures, you could map the entire building to one texture file.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
To answer your question, moving the sign rectangle away from the building will indeed cure the flickering. But then you will have a polygon hanging in mid air. Thus Rick's suggestion to put it on a 3D sign.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,
Thank you for the reply. Sorry to be really stupid. . . But how do I fix it?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello....

Without seeing the model along with the textures, it's hard to know exactly what it causing the flicking... one thing it could be is multiple polygons laying side by side of each other; conflicting or fighting with each other. Also, could be the textures themselves, such as the format used for the textures. How does the model appear within SketchUp?
Hi,

Textures are all dds and to the power of 2. the model looks fine in sketch up and some textures look fine in MCX, then in P3d they flicker.

Any help much appreciated

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
No need to apologize, but you've already been given all the information you need and based on what you've accomplished, I know this is a minor stumbling block for you. Reread what Tom and I have offered, Doug is trying to be helpful, but if you uploaded the model he'd draw the same conclusion. Roby's solution also works. You have two textures in the same plane that compete for render priority and you need to change that.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi there,

So, i have tried the the following:

1. removed the texture
2. created a new rectangle
3. imported the image
4. laid on top of the Object
5. Done some re-sizing and placement changes

Same results, i am guessing from the explanations given that the image fighting with the top layer of the rectangle and this is causing the fuzzy effect in P3D and MCX (fine in SU)? But, i really dont understand how to move the image forward away from the rectangle?

Sorry if i am being really dump here . . . .i only learned SU 4 days ago!

P.S. I would like to stay away from the UV map of the building in poss.

1522917033778.png

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Craig, you've jumped from flicker to fuzziness. The fuzziness is caused by texture resolution and this is the consequence of expanding any media, except vector based elements, which stay at the intended crispness. You have to have a larger starting image or you have magnify it less to conceal the transition between colors that is present in ALL images. If you look at the words "radio active" in your original image, the fuzziness is present but unnoticed due to the small size.

Country
unitedkingdom
Craig, you've jumped from flicker to fuzziness. The fuzziness is caused by texture resolution and this is the consequence of expanding any media, except vector based elements, which stay at the intended crispness. You have to have a larger starting image or you have magnify it less to conceal the transition between colors that is present in ALL images. If you look at the words "radio active" in your original image, the fuzziness is present but unnoticed due to the small size.
Sorry . . . I mean flickering. I think I have solved it in SU. Using the above advice. I deleted the rectangle, started again and removed the front panel to remove the conflict. Not really sure how I did it . . . But I did lol

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
What you explained was right. Often when you stick a graphic to a plane it causes flicker when viewed at angles, also causes headaches from banging ones head on the desk in frustration . the way some counter flicker is to post the image slightly above the poly surface this can lead to the purest checking by getting up close and quizetive. I personally set the image on plains to get fixes and the delete the sub poly leaving the image in place