• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Texture flickering and shape is not correct as the actual ground polygon.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello,

I made a ground polygon using Sketchup and I got few several problems. I can place it correctly without no problems at the location I want but what my main problem is that at the end the GP extends and flickers which makes it look very bad. I dont know if I have any mistakes while exporting the GP but I have left the pictures where it shows how I export as well.

I have left some screenshots within my Sketchup program, Model converter X as well as what it displays in the simulator. As you might be aware I am new so if you could explain it in a more simple way it will be amazing thank you very much !

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 509
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 517
  • 2018-5-27_13-33-57-522.jpg
    2018-5-27_13-33-57-522.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 666
  • 2018-5-27_13-34-6-660.jpg
    2018-5-27_13-34-6-660.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 452
  • 2018-5-27_13-34-27-139.jpg
    2018-5-27_13-34-27-139.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 575
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 594
Hi,

I can see that you have at least two problems:
- your flatten is not big enough to cover the groundpolys;
- you have some other scenery that is interfering (those squares and triangles).
Are you sure your SU model is completely horizontal and flat? AGL or ASL?

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

I can see that you have at least two problems:
- your flatten is not big enough to cover the groundpolys;
- you have some other scenery that is interfering (those squares and triangles).
Are you sure your SU model is completely horizontal and flat? AGL or ASL?

I made my flatten all the way to cover the whole airport and I picked flatten mask class map excludeautogen in airport design editor.
there us no other scenery interfering with my scenery that I know. I am saying this because I used this method for like 4 different airports and it gives me the same result, I have no clue what it is. Only thing coming to my mind is that my ORBX might be messing it up? Highly doubt it as all other sceneries that I purchased have ground polygons without problem.

and lastly, i am 100% sure that my sketchup is horizontal and flat and the AGL i set in MCX is the same as the airport reference data from airport design editor.

Country
unitedkingdom
Airport alitude in GPW = meters (not feet)!

I dont know what to do anymore, this is the only problem I am having and I feel very stupid cause I dont know how to fix this its demotivating me :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_11.png
    Screenshot_11.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 410
  • Screenshot_12.png
    Screenshot_12.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 489
  • Screenshot_13.png
    Screenshot_13.png
    644.4 KB · Views: 471
  • Screenshot_14.png
    Screenshot_14.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 446
  • Screenshot_15.png
    Screenshot_15.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 2018-7-8_22-0-19-25.jpg
    2018-7-8_22-0-19-25.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 447
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

If you package a *.KMZ of your Sketchup G-Poly, the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), and your ADE *.AD4 project file ...inside 1 or more *.ZIP files at a free download website such as DropBox / MediaFire / MS-OneDrive etc., we can download the files in question, and provide more properly-informed troubleshooting assistance. ;-)

GaryGB

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

If you package a *.KMZ of your Sketchup G-Poly, the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), and your ADE *.AD4 project file ...inside 1 or more *.ZIP files at a free download website such as DropBox / MediaFire / MS-OneDrive etc., we can download the files in question, and provide more properly-informed troubleshooting assistance. ;-)

GaryGB
Here you go, I tried to supply every file I have created, its a different airport but same problem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvkmnnqntri8uix/BE_LTCS.zip?dl=0

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

GaryGB
The problem I am having is flickering and its not the shape I actually modelled, it looks similar to this

Attachments

• 2018-7-8_22-0-19-25.jpg
    2018-7-8_22-0-19-25.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 417
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Since you did not (yet ?) link to the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), our ability to assist you will be limited. :scratchch

Regarding the P3Dv4 MDL format G-Poly cited in your opening post above, in ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"):

* Material Editor: ...did you enable a Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

* Ground Polygon Wizard (aka "GPW"): ...did you apply a negative Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

PS: I have other questions regarding your Sketchup 3D RWY model pending your reply to my questions above this post. ;)

GaryGB

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

Since you did not (yet ?) link to the G-Poly *.BGL itself (with all mapped textures), our ability to assist you will be limited. :scratchch

Regarding the P3Dv4 MDL format G-Poly cited in your opening post above, in ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"):

* Material Editor: ...did you enable a Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

* Ground Polygon Wizard (aka "GPW"): ...did you apply a negative Z-Bias Material Property for mapped textures on the RWY ?

PS: I have other questions regarding your Sketchup 3D RWY model pending your reply to my questions above this post. ;)

GaryGB

I literally got one texture for it, its white just for testing purposes and let me supply you with the bgl as well if you want sorry about that my bad :)

i have also realised something when you said I didnt supply you with bgl, firstly, sorry and I get the glitches in MCX once I load the BGL

to conclude Gary, i have no idea about the Z-Bias so I am going to show you some screenshots and you can determine and please do ask me questions about the 3d rwy model :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_18.png
    Screenshot_18.png
    153 KB · Views: 463
  • Screenshot_19.png
    Screenshot_19.png
    112 KB · Views: 428
  • Screenshot_20.png
    Screenshot_20.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 425
Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

GaryGB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot4rcyny6370twg/LTCS.BGL?dl=0

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

You will see flickering for any flat 3D MDL-based G-Polys in TopDown (and perhaps other views) at run time in P3Dv4 if the Z-Bias Material Property has not been properly applied to all texture Materials mapped onto such G-Polys.

You may wish to review the info discussed in some of these links regarding the MCX G-Poly Wizard work-flow to:

* Enable Z-Bias Material Property for textures Materials mapped onto such P3DV4 MDL-based G-Polys

* Configure G-Polys with a "Negative" Z-Bias under 'Layering and Visibility' in the MCX G-Poly Wizard

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=XopDW7XRFYzwsQWEqpewDQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1782.67097.0.71978.80.79.1.0.0.0.124.6141.77j2.79.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.506...0j0i131k1.0.9UtdptnbR_s

GaryGB
Does flickering invole the triangle parts as well which is not part of my model as well? What was the questions you going to ask as well as I might look into 3ds max luckily im a student seems like theres more help on the 3ds side!

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-the-actual-ground-polygon.442910/post-802591

Does flickering invole the triangle parts as well which is not part of my model as well? What was the questions you going to ask as well as I might look into 3ds max luckily im a student seems like theres more help on the 3ds side!

Hello:

You will see flickering for any flat 3D MDL-based G-Polys in TopDown (and perhaps other views) at run time in P3Dv4 if the P3Dv4 SDK Z-Bias Material Property has not been properly applied to all texture Materials mapped onto such G-Polys.

You may wish to review the info discussed in some of these links regarding the MCX G-Poly Wizard work-flow to:

* Enable Z-Bias Material Property for texture Materials mapped onto such P3DV4 MDL-based G-Polys in MCX Material Editor

* Configure G-Polys with a "Negative" Z-Bias under 'Layering and Visibility' in MCX G-Poly Wizard

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=XopDW7XRFYzwsQWEqpewDQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+ModelConverterX+MCX+Ground+Polygon+Wizard+G-Poly"negactive+Z-Bias+ZBias&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1782.67097.0.71978.80.79.1.0.0.0.124.6141.77j2.79.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.506...0j0i131k1.0.9UtdptnbR_s

PS: I have reviewed your posting history here at FS Developer with regard to creating G-Polys, and IMHO, you may find it easier to continue working with Sketchup and the MCX G-Poly Wizard ...for this current phase of your learning process. :pushpin:

We can further discuss a Sketchup work-flow when you have a texture image Material (and not just a Sketchup default "Color") applied to the (single) Front "Face" of the flat 3D model of the RWY within Sketchup ...prior to importing it into MCX. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

You will see flickering for any flat 3D MDL-based G-Polys in TopDown (and perhaps other views) at run time in P3Dv4 if the P3Dv4 SDK Z-Bias Material Property has not been properly applied to all texture Materials mapped onto such G-Polys.

* Enable Z-Bias Material Property for texture Materials mapped onto such P3DV4 MDL-based G-Polys in MCX Material Editor

* Configure G-Polys with a "Negative" Z-Bias under 'Layering and Visibility' in MCX G-Poly Wizard

PS: I have reviewed your posting history here at FS Developer with regard to creating G-Polys, and IMHO, you may find it easier to continue working with Sketchup and the MCX G-Poly Wizard ...for this current phase of your learning process. :pushpin:

We can further discuss a Sketchup work-flow when you have a texture image Material (and not just a Sketchup default "Color") applied to the (single) Front "Face" of the flat 3D model of the RWY within Sketchup ...prior to importing it into MCX. ;)

GaryGB
it seems like i am getting closer. i am trying a different airport but now there is minimal gaps like two gaps thats it, i done what u said enabled negative z-bias and I am using a texture and setting it to -2 while exporting in the gp wizard but I am getting small triangle gaps as shown on the images, this is exactly how its shown in the simulator too, i do feel a bit better getting close to it i tried my best to understand what you meant by z-bias layers etc. hope you could maybe understand this situation and help me :) i supplied all the files too if you would like to try! https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2s9touayy3xlwg/LTFD.zip?dl=0

Attachments

• Screenshot_22.png
    Screenshot_22.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 437
  • Screenshot_21.png
    Screenshot_21.png
    1 MB · Views: 401
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

In the MCX G-Poly Wizard, 'check' Group polygons: 500 Meters, then compile & test another version of your G-Poly. :idea:

GaryGB

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello:

In the MCX G-Poly Wizard, 'check' Group polygons: 500 Meters, then compile another version of your G-Poly. :idea:

GaryGB
I think I have resolved it but I didnt check the ground polygon 500 meter, how does it look for first time ;) Now I think i am ready to listen for your tips regarding skid marks etc :)

Attachments

• 2018-7-9_21-50-46-409.jpg
    2018-7-9_21-50-46-409.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 432
  • 2018-7-9_21-50-49-630.jpg
    2018-7-9_21-50-49-630.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 452
  • 2018-7-9_21-50-53-576.jpg
    2018-7-9_21-50-53-576.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 2018-7-9_21-50-58-597.jpg
    2018-7-9_21-50-58-597.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 486
Country
unitedkingdom
faboulous thank you very much Gary if it wasnt for you I wouldnt of been successful , thank you mate, means a lot, one question is there direct links or anything? when i click them i got couple of links which I dont know which ones are the correct one

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello everybody!

I have experienced similar problems with those triangles......
My GP 3D Model created with SketchUp looks fine ( also as MDL ). When I load it in the GPW in MCX, I select ,,Slice Polygons (100 meter)" and optimize reference point location.... When I have loaded the bgl file, those triangles appear ( in the sim too ) as shown in the screenshots. If I unselect ,,Slice Polygons (100 meter)" the triangles don't appear, but then the ground poly starts to flicker when getting closer.....

Is there a solution for this to fix the triangles?

Thanks for your help,

Norvin.

Attachments

• Screenshot (668).png
    Screenshot (668).png
    803.4 KB · Views: 390