• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Texture issue

Country
ca-quebec
Hi All,

First of all, thank you for creating such a tool, love it but i'm facing an issue with texture.

Was able to load and convert an Aircraft to it's static .bgl version but when adding it to a scenery, the A/C does not show the texture wether from a freeware or payware version I used.

Texture folder is surely created correctly and has all the .dds file in it.

Any idea what I am missing?:(
Thanks

Dan

Country
us-california
Hi Dan,
Are you installing to FS9 or FSX?

BGLcomp or a placement utility?

Does the texture folder for the aircraft you converted have a sub-folder inside it named for the aircraft you converted?

Cheers
Gary

Country
ca-quebec
Hi Gary,

Correct, I'm installing in FSX. Understood vis the .pdf could have been issue with texture so tried also to convert all .dds to .bmp but not helpfull!:(

I use A.D.E for the scenery. The A/C does appear very well on the apron but has not textures (some grey/blue color) :confused:

When compiling the .bgl, the texture folder has a sub folder with the A/C name before reaching all .dds file. ( thought this would be weird as none of the scenery have such option but if this works like that...why not!)

Should I beleive the .dds texture files are too heavy to be read by FSX for this model?

thks

Last edited:
Country
us-california
Hi Dan,
I don't use ADE, but I have converted dozens and dozens of aircraft and placed them with Instant Scenery 2, and I don't think you need to worry about converting the textures at this time, they should work just fine.

I would reconvert the aircraft, leave the textures alone, and use the folders that SAMM creates as they are.

Yes, the texture folder sub-folder named for the aircraft is correct, and yes it is different from all of the other folders you have installed.

Give it a try.

Cheers
Gary

Country
ca-quebec
Thanks Gary....

tried many ways but that's what I get! strange..

2-20.jpg

1-21.jpg

Any idea what would impact that?:confused:

Country
us-california
Hi Dan,
It is important NOT to try everything you can think of trying.

I would still like to know what directory you are installing to.

It looks like your aircraft are coming up with the textures of the scenery and sky.

Since there are too many variations on how people place their scenery files, and I know nothing about A.D.E., how about creating a folder inside the FSX directory called Addon Static Aircraft, and then adding it to the FSX Scenery Library.
Then, inside that folder create a scenery folder and a texture folder.

Now, when you compile the aircraft .bgl, use the Save to a Scenery Folder option, and browse to the Addon Static Aircraft folder.
SAMM will automatically place the .bgl in the scenery folder, and the texture sub-folder(s) into the texture folder.

After saving, go to the Addon Static Aircraft\scenery folder and verify there is a .bgl with the name you created inside.

Then go to the Addon Static Aircraft\texture folder and verify there are texture sub-folder(s) for each aircraft you converted and compiled to the .bgl inside.
Then try placing the aircraft.

And for the sake of experimentation, could you try placing the models at a default airport?

Cheers
Gary

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Dan, have you reverted to .bmp textures yet. It looks like a texture scaling problem.

(These models still use aircraft.textures - even though they are scenery models; I don't know whether or not FSX knows how to apply .dds textures in this situation.)

The texture sub-folder named for the aircraft, while unusual for scenery, is intended. If that makes you "nervous", Version 1.0.01 released only a short while ago, allows you to save in the traditional way - but you lose the ability to economize on texture storage.

As Gary said earlier, if you use the texture folders prepared by SAMM, it should all work. ADE should not be an issue - so long as it handles the textures properly - which I haven't confirmed.

DOn

Don

Country
ca-quebec
Thanks guys.

Well, I may still need to work on it tomorrow...
I, by default, created and export the .bgl result of SAMM in its own library folder. then create the A/C name folder, place both A/C's Scenery & Texture folders inside and drop the whole thing in fsx/addon scnenery folder and declare it.

ADE does its job in place the A/C wherever I want.
I also tried to change the .dds file from the fsx version to the .bmp texture file from the FS9.

...to be continued:(

Country
us-california
I, by default, created and export the .bgl result of SAMM in its own library folder. then create the A/C name folder, place both A/C's Scenery & Texture folders inside and drop the whole thing in fsx/addon scnenery folder and declare it.(

Hi Dan,
It sounds like you have an extra step there, but since you have now made it clear that you are placing it in the FSX Addon Scenery folder, that is a good starting point.

The fastest way to accomplish a library folder to be placed in FSX\Addon Scenery is as follows, and you won't need to "Create" anything, just cut and paste what SAMM creates.

Let's back up to the conversion of the two aircraft.
You saved the .mdl's for the two aircraft, then you clicked Make Library.

The SAMM - Make Library interface pops-up, and you see a list with your two aircraft, now highlight them.
Now, enter a name in the Library Name textbox - call it My Static Aircraft.

Click Save Library .bgl.

Now, go to the SAMM1001\Libraries folder and open it.
There should be a "My Static Aircraft" folder inside, and inside the SAMM1001\Libraries\My Static Aircraft folder should be a scenery folder containing the file "My Static Aircraft.bgl".

Also inside the SAMM1001\Libraries\My Static Aircraft folder should be a texture folder containing the texture sub-folders named for both of the aircraft you converted.

Now, all you need to do is cut the My Static Aircraft folder from the SAMM1001\Libraries folder, and paste it into your FSX Addon Scenery folder, and add it to the FSX Scenery Library List.

The main thing to remember here is that the folder generated by SAMM is already complete with scenery and texture folders inside, and that SAMM has already placed the library.bgl inside that scenery folder, and the associated texture sub-folder(s) inside that texture folder.

Believe me , I know it seems strange not to have to do anything else but paste it into Addon Scenery and add it to the Scenery Library list, but that's all there is to it.

Cheers
Gary

Country
ca-quebec
Correct, just recreated that procedure exactly.
but what do you think about that below. this appears when I click on "save .mdl"
strange because texture are actually here, I mean in the texture folder of the original FSX A/C! Would SAMM's textures path incorrect in the program?:confused:
I also placed the object in a different airport. No difference there...

Shouldn't SAMM being able to read them and import them in the process?
Untitled-3.png

Strangely, It does found them when I click "make library" and effectively place all .dds file in the texture folder of the A/C folder. So I would beleive the process between "save .mdl" and create the famous .bgl file might impact my result.

I tried also with different aircraft and there's always few .dds or .bmp files he cannot find (....when saving .mdl)

Country
us-california
Hi Dan,

Please advise what your operating system is.

There is nothing unusual about the list of textures in your screenshot, nothing that should affect the textures on the exterior of the static aircraft.
They are all likely related to animations of the spinning prop, and the virtual cockpit.

It must be remembered that the aircraft was not made for FSX, therefore in the modification certain textures may remain listed in the aircraft.cfg, and in the textures folder, which are not related to the FSX modded version. SAMM is just making note of what it sees.

Also it must be remembered that SAMM is making a scenery model from an .mdl which was not designed to be scenery.

Going back to your earliest comments, you talked about converting textures to .dds, and after seeing your screenshots Don mentioned that it looked like a texture scaling issue.

How about downloading an FS9 aircraft, not doing anything to the textures, and trying the above operation to convert the aircraft to a static model?

I only say that because I have successfully converted about 130 different FS8 & FS9 aircraft without doing anything to the .bmp textures. I often get the lists of textures SAMM says is missing and the aircraft never came out like all of yours have.
Try not to get hung up on all of the features like the Listings and Tools which are advanced operations, and concentrate on getting the basics right is all I can recommend, because I had problems initially too which had me pulling my hair out. :D

Cheers
Gary

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Dan, if you've converted the FS9 .bmp files in the aircraft texture folder to .dds format for use in FSX, then SAMM will not find those textures. I can make it do that, but for the moment, it can't. Also, other than possibly for the textures, we haven't yet determined where the problem lies, since you seem to be doing certain things that would seem unnecessary and ADE is still involved.

Let's take everything "out of the equation" except SAMM. Please try placing a single aircraft that uses .bmp files with SAMM's built-in placement capability. If that works, then you know the problem lies post-SAMM. You also know what SAMM expects vis-a-vis textues. No matter what placement tool you use, the final texture folder configuration must be as SAMM made it and you can't change texture names after the mocdel is created.

Don

Country
ca-quebec
Hi Gary,

thank you for your follow up... I use W7 64bits...
I'm going to work on an FS9 aircraft and see what I get out of it...

Thanks Don, will follow up on that!

thanks again,

Dan