FS2004 Textures turn blurry

Everytime I would like to inspect my project in Flight Simulator, when I switch views the textures turn extremely blurry. I know this happens on the Leonardo Maddog alot, and to the people who fly it they know what I am talking about. It is very frustrating. Does any one know what is happening?

Thanks, Ryan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
What format did you use for your textures? And do they have mipmaps?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I would try mipmaps. That should speed up loading, since at a distance lower resolution images are used.

After 16 tiles on the airport the textures with mipmaps take a huge deal of work to load and my computer is very reasonable. Is this normal? I am about to just get rid of some tiles and alpha channel what is not necessary out...

E7400 3.2 GHZ 9800GTX 4gb Ram

Edit: Textures are DXT3.. DXT1 look terrible.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I don't understand what you mean with textures with mipmaps take a deal of work to load. How many textures do you have in your scenery?

Also the only difference between DXT1 and DXT3 textures is their alpha channel, the other channels are stored with exactly the same compression.

I don't understand what you mean with textures with mipmaps take a deal of work to load. How many textures do you have in your scenery?

Also the only difference between DXT1 and DXT3 textures is their alpha channel, the other channels are stored with exactly the same compression.
You know what I just realized. Some of the tiles are mipmapped (The edge tiles with the alpha channel) and some aren't(The tiles without alpha channels). Could this be the problem?

Hi wideloadwhitford
3 questions for you:
- What's the size of your texture tiles?
- Does the blurry effect go away after you wait a few seconds or when you get close to the ground?
- Do you have a complex airport/scenery object in the vecinity of the airport you are working for?

Andrei

Hi wideloadwhitford
3 questions for you:
- What's the size of your texture tiles?
- Does the blurry effect go away after you wait a few seconds or when you get close to the ground?
- Do you have a complex airport/scenery object in the vecinity of the airport you are working for?

Andrei

1024x1024
When the textures go blurry they do not come back to life at all. I must switch aircraft or reload the sim.

Not to sure about a complex scenery object, this all started when I got rid of the mipmaps.

All of my textures are mip maps and some are DXT3 and DXT1. Would this make a difference, because my textures are still turning blurry when on approach to the field. So confusing!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

In general it is best to use DXT1 for most the textures, since they are smaller. Only when you have transparency you need to use DXT3. It can have a 4 bit alpha channe, the DXT1 only 1 bit (on/off).

Hum, this thread looks pretty old but still I'll tell you what I know...since I have experienced the same problem, and still do

1. I am getting the blur on the default FS grounds and custom scenery textures, also on some parts of virtual cockpits.

2. I read somewhere in some tutorial: "don't mipmap ground tiles or you could get white borders". I have not tested it.

3. System is Phenom II black edition w/8 GB Corsair ram, liquid cooling system...the works. And still I get the blur.
    - So I tested...since my airport is very heavy in scenery objects I removed all the bgl's and sure enough I didn't get the blur.
    But I was not really satisfied by the result. Sure the CPU1 is maxed out at %100 but I'm maxing 3 GB ram used.
    - I am using the object placer Ez-scenery and by the different clues I got it seems Ez-scenery is loading ALL available objects at FS startup then I have no idea what process is going on with it.
    - With all my scenery objects installed for my test airport I removed the Ez-scenery DLL from the Modules folder...I didn't get the blur anymore.

4. If you are using an "in-game" object placer it's worth trying that test/solution.

Last edited:
Since I'm still having the same problem without ground tiles and only after adding scenery objects it's obvious the issue is coming from some of these objects.

My objects are stored in different files (i.e. planes, groundmarkings, lights, misc, vehicles, etc.) So I started removing them one at a time until finding the guilty one. It was misc.bgl. I then removed from the xml file 1/2 of the objects, again 1/2 until the blur was gone. At the end I was down to 1 object that was causing the problem, it was a fuel tank from the "ez-fuel tanks.bgl" library.

Arno's application (MCX) pointed out what I thought the "bad" textures, "logos.bmp" and "logos2.bmp". They were in DXT1 format w/no mipmaps, after reformatting them to DXT3 w/no mipmaps the blur was gone.

The blur issue is still happening at another airport. I will apply the same process to see if I finally hold the solution and will report here any other fishy object.

Yes, bad textured objects of course are one source for blurries. And do not forget: if you are using AI-planes any mistake with their textures may cause this effect. So investigation sometimes turns out into looking for a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
Maybe the word 'texture' triggered an idea when I read your post...I don't know but in any case...I thought "hum, what if instead of converting to DXT3 I would simply reconvert to DXT1?"

I installed the original files and converted them to DXT1 and miracle, the blur is still gone. I am posting the result so that people do not think that converting to DXT3 is the miracle remedy. In that particular case it was the format of the original file that was bad, to no one's fault. It seems the original conversion had not worked well.

So before converting all your textures to DXT3 because they create the blur issue, try reconverting them to DXT1. It's worth a try.